Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard what channel (if any) Shaw will be broadcasting the true (active) 3d version of the show on? Going by discoveries web page Shaw is the only provider to not have specified a channel yet.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Bell will be airing the new 3D technology version on channel 1602 and 1933. My question is where can I get the red/cyan 3D glasses to watch that version on my HDTV, besides from being a National Post subscriber or going to a participating CTV station.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bell will be airing the new 3D technology version on channel 1602 and 1933.
Do you know when this will be? Also, why the mirroring on two channels? Actually, if this is the case, this really pleases me as I have the 9200 and Bell does not enable the 9200 to pick up channel 1933.

I really do not want to have to upgrade to a new PVR.

·
Registered
957 Posts
From Bell's website, the show airs on Sunday, November 21. Times as follows:

8:00 (ET) in HD and SD, channel 520, 827, 1601
9:30 (ET) 3D on an HDTV, requires red/cyan glasses, channel 827, 1601
9:30 (ET) 3D on a 3DTV, requires MPEG4 receiver, channel 1602 and 1933

Red/cyan glasses available to subscribers of the Globe and Mail on Nov 18 or from any participating CTV station listed on Discovery Worlds website.

I was just curious if there was anywhere I could go buy a better pair of these glasses other then the white flimsy frames. If not, I guess I'll just stop by CTV tomorrow and get them.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
This does not need a new 3DTV for the anaglyph version which requires RED/Green cardboard type glasses.

·
Registered
751 Posts
markb says red/cyan, hugh says red/green. Which one is it? (Or maybe it's blue/amber as used a while back for "Chuck" and recently for "Queen Elizabeth in 3D"?)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Glasses details here. It is red/cyan.

Remember Discover is broadcasting two versions of 3D: Anaglyph 3D and Active 3D.

The first requires the cardboard glasses and the second requires a 3DTV with active shutter glasses.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its odd Hugh you describe the two methods the Red/Cyan system dates like from the 40's the new shutter glasses are with the new TV's but when you go to the cinema to watch 3D they have uncoloured glasses. Whats the deal with that technology how appropriate would that be for TV using 50cent glasses as opposed to $300 ones.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Theatres use polarized lenses which is a different beast and not used for home viewing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Theatres use polarized lenses which is a different beast and not used for home viewing.
I understand that but what is the limitation in the technology that makes it unsuitable for a home theatre of reasonable proportion? Is this front projection applicable technology only? I don't see the application restriction other than vendors cant charge you $$ for shutter glasses.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Please this thread is about the "Last Day of the Dinosaurs in 3D?" not about different 3D technologies. Lets stick to discussing the show, times etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Remember Discover is broadcasting two versions of 3D: Anaglyph 3D and Active 3D.

The first requires the cardboard glasses and the second requires a 3DTV with active shutter glasses.
True, however, markb is (unfortunately, for people like me) right about the stereoscopic 3D presentation only being available on MPEG-4 receivers :(.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Videotron 3d show (Discovery)

This Sunday Discovery will be showing a documentary about the last day of the Dinosaurs. It's supposed to be showing on channel 801 in 3d. They will also be showing a low tech version for users that don't have a 3d tv and want to view the show with red/cyan glasses on channel 725.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just an F.Y.I.

The Rogers on-screen guide is showing the Active 3D version scheduled for Sun. Nov. 21 at 9:30PM on channel 900 (in Scarborough, at least).

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I understand that but what is the limitation in the technology that makes it unsuitable for a home theatre of reasonable proportion? Is this front projection applicable technology only? I don't see the application restriction other than vendors cant charge you $$ for shutter glasses.
to get full resolution with polarized technology you'll need at least double the resolution of the intended end result. So if you want to watch it in fullHD, then you'll need UHD projector so it can project both images at the same time.

Also for projection, due to the major loss of brightness caused by the polarized lenses, you'll require silver-coated screen (2.4 gain, IIRC, but I may be wrong) in order to get some of the brightness back.

There are professional-use TVs that only require polarized lens but they are usually end up with half of the HD resolution or the monitor itself is UHDTV which end result is regular fullHD.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It was an interesting program that really did not gain much from its presentation in 3D.......a few rocks.....some lights... and a bit of depth. Watched with glasses from a previous tv show. The most frustrating part was the number of commercial breaks in the last hour which totally ruined the presentation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts