Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery on one of our laptops has pretty well given it up. The laptop is an HP dv9000 series. The battery sticker says to replace with HP #432974-001. For one thing I'm trying to find out where to purchase a replacement (not from HP due to $$). Some of the online sites look a little flaky (bad spelling etc...) If anyone has had good success purchasing from someone, please let me know (I'm in Victoria) (if we are not allowed to recommend businesses on the forum then please pm me).

From looking online, I see various batteries for this model--some with 4400mAh others with 6600mAh. I believe the original is 4400 so does it matter going with a higher amperage? Does this imply longer life?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes - if the battery has a higher capacity (greater mAh), then it will last longer. There is no free lunch, so if the battery has a 50% greater capacity than the original, it will be roughly that much larger and heavier. It's pretty common for laptops to have a couple of batteries available (regular and 'extended' life).

No advice on where to buy a replacement, unfortunately. I use these pretty continuously for work, so I normally wear the laptop out before I need a new battery ... :)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
My boss bought a laptop battery replacement for his Dell from battdepot.ca - located in Richmond, BC, and was very happy with it. $40 vs. $120 or so from Dell, and it worked fine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
A friend bought exactly that model on A*zon.com, but shipped to US address and US credit card required I think, but it is really inexpensive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you're comfortable with ebay, I've bought several batteries from "reeshare" and I was quite happy.

99.9% rating, free shipping and in Canada!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've had good success getting replacement batteries with the webstore ottawalaptops.com. They have the 2 stores here in Ontario, as well as 5 stores based out of BC. They ship anywhere in Canada though.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Typically, when the capacity (amp-hours) is increased, it means more cells.
That means a bigger battery, as said.
Usually this means they either stick out the back, or the bottom (so on a table your laptop is propped up)

Keep that in mind when ordering. I believe the dv9000 is a bottom mount battery, so it would stick out the bottom. If you are often carrying it in a slim case, that might be an issue.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the info everyone. Good tip about the battery size possibly sticking out. This laptop is already big enough to lug around without adding anything further weight wise to it. I'm just going to stick with the normal battery which should last a couple of years, by then likely time for a new laptop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts