Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure this is the right area but:

I got a Bell Turbo Hub on the weekend and tried to incorporate it in to my home LAN.

First it would not work with the router (my rogers portable internet did).

So I set it up wireless and it works with all computers as long as the LAN router/switch is not connected. Connect the LAN and the computers search for the internet connection on the router (which is not there) and stop so they don't see the wireless setup.

I assume this all has to do with the DHCP and TCP/IP addressing and will be looking for a solution but if anyone has some suggestions, I'm all ears!!! I did try changing the router primary address as the bell hub came with the same defaults but that didn't work. (too easy I guess)

Larry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in case others have this problem I figured it out:

The Bell hub uses the common router address set:

192.168.1.1 so if you plug it into a router using the default DHCP addresses it clashes so you have to change either the router set or the Bell Hub set.

Also you must change one (or all) of the first three number sets as the last number is defined in the DHCP (or static) range.

So 192.168.5.1 will work fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just in case others have this problem I figured it out:

Also you must change one (or all) of the first three number sets as the last number is defined in the DHCP (or static) range.

So 192.168.5.1 will work fine.
Actually, you don't want to change 192.168, at least not at random.

192.168.x.x is defined as a range available for private networks. If you were to change it to a valid address then you'd be duplicating someone on the internet, and that could cause you all sorts of problems.

There are two other ranges also defined as private addresses, 10.x.x.x, and 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x.x. Stick to one of those three ranges, and you'll sure to avoid problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts