Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, during the past 2 months, it has been very unsettling. I live in a situation where I share internet with another family, and we are somewhat close. The internet at first was completely fine, we all use wireless under one router, speeds were consistent and most importantly, there were no lag spikes, up until the internet started constantly lagging, and we were sure none of us were uploading/downloading, and made sure it wasn't a virus.

Now during this lagging spree, which lasted to a week, We literally couldn't do anything, pings over 2000, loading pages took forever and gaming just wasn't possible. After that, and a switch of routers, things started to settle, but now we seem to have this regular ping spike, which I think is every 8 seconds. In a tracert to any website, it would stay a consistent number, then jump up considerably when it spiked. Gaming is still possible, but playing any shooter games, this lag cripples me bad. This ping spike has lasted the past month, and now It is very annoying. I've tried router settings, restarting modems but no dice. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'd only like to call shaw if it's absolutely the only thing left to do.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there,

if you have already tried power cycling the modem and even changing the router, try to go directly through the modem without a router and see if you still have the issue. It sounds like you probably will, since you already changed the router.

Check to make sure that the cables are all screwed in and seated properly.

If still screwy, you should call them to come check out the levels and make sure everything is alright.

I think they will be able to run some diagnostics from their office and then will decide about sending a tech to check it out.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts