Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may be my most anticipated game of 2011. The facial animation is leagues ahead of anything else to date.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption. They haven't let me down yet, so I'll be all over this game when it comes out.

Speaking of facial animations, Mass Effect did a great job of matching lips to dialog, and it makes such a huge difference, like you're watching characters talk instead of sort of "reading lines". And what you see in the link above is even better than ME. Great to see.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I picked up L.A. Noire yesterday.

Played it for 2-1/2 hours this morning, and the time flew by.
This is a game that lures you in and captures your imagination for endless hours. It's very strange playing a game from Rockstar where virtue is uh, a virtue.

Facial expressions are amazing at times. You really do get the feel that they are pushing the PS3 to its limits with this game.

I'm not a huge gamer. My favourites in the past have been Infamous and the Uncharted sereis. This one looks like a winner too. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If you make it past the first few very linear cases, the game and investigations start to open up and really start to be enjoyable.

It seems to me that the facial expressions are amazing because they motion captured all the actors from the neck up. I'd say it works really well around 80% of the time. The other times... well you realize that these realistic heads are glued on to less realistic bodies and the two don't quite synch up. Especially when a fat actor's head gets stuck on a skinny body - the used car salesman comes to mind.

This is a game that works with an audience. I have had lots of debates about whether a person is truthful/doubtful/lying.

I'm also playing the game in black and white. It works well, except while driving. It makes reading the traffic signals while speeding to a suspect's house almost impossible.

I've never played a game quite like it (never did the Policequest series), so it is a breath of fresh air in that sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts