Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely venture below channel 200, but I've started recording some old time KVOS programming such as Rockford Files and Bonanza for kicks. The problem is that reception for me on channel 30 is on the verge of being unwatchable. The picture is very grainy, colours are washed out and there is very little image detail. (Similar results on both a Panny plasma as well as an older 4:3 CRT) Does anyone have a decent KVOS picture? Is it KVOS or Shaw or me?

I took a look at the OTA forum and it seems that KVOS has one of the stronger OTA signals so I'm not sure where to begin looking for a culprit.

Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If it is a really old program it just might be the saturation / resolution is very low to start with but one test is to hook up an indoor antenna to your panny as KVOS seems to come in everywhere :) pretty strong and compare the two feeds side by side. ( Even old rabbit ears should pick it up, I get it with a paper clip inserted into the antenna input )

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
When I have experienced problems like this in the past, a quick call to Shaw usually takes care of it. They can check things on their end and, if the problem isn't at the head end, they will send a tech out to take care of the local problem, usually a bad amplifier somewhere in the system. At least this was the case back when things were still 'all analogue'. It might be different now that digital channel mapping is being used more and more.

I'd call Shaw as it's free and they will probably appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
KVOS has always had the worst PQ of my available channels... for like 7+ years (three houses and three different cable boxes 2425, 3416 and 3400). I never watch the channel as a result but just checked now and the episode of Barney Miller that's on is horrid. Fuzzy and washed out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Fuzzy and washed out"...exactly what I'm seeing too. OK, I'll give Shaw a call and see what they have to say about it. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Actually I think they have good equipment it is just the programs they show are mainly old SD at best formats. I am not sure if they have any HD equipment for thier own studio work mind you it"s an interesting question I will call and follow up on that.

I emailed as there was one to get at the station this late I will post the reply to I asked if they do thier in house studio work in HD?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Actually I think they have good equipment it is just the programs they show are mainly old SD at best formats.
I always assumed that their copies of continuously run series like MASH were just older poor quality transfers that they'd purchased 20 years ago or something. I remember years ago that the quality difference on MASH episodes between KCPQ and KVOS was massive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
(I'm in Winnipeg:))
Is KVOS still broadcasting in Standard Definition exclusively since the digital TV transition? Or does it air some HD programs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts