Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I obtained a Kobo Wifi eReader about two weeks ago and I'm generally quite happy with the device. This forum was quite helpful in getting me started! :)

I'm using it with Calibre on a Debian GNU/Linux desktop, which has been working alright for the most part, although I was disappointed to find that I am unable to use it to download books from the Kobo bookstore.

I had purchased an ebook via the kobobooks.com website so I setup and used a wifi connection and synced the device directly with the store.

However, I encountered a rendering problem in the second chapter which caused much of contents of subsequent pages to be truncated. In essence, the ebook was unreadable. I submitted an issue to the Kobo Customer Care site and was happily given suggestions about how to resolve the problem. I (repeatedly) followed the instructions, which entailed re-downloading the ebook, but this did not resolve the problem. As this did not bode well, seeing as it was my very first ebook, I sought to obtain a refund before investing any more time and money into new ebook purchases. The issue was escalated over a week ago and I have not had a reply since, despite repeated follow-ups and telephone calls.

Has anyone have experience with obtaining refunds from Kobobooks for unreadable ebooks?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If its been a week of calls, my guess is you won't be getting a refund unless they find the book (the data file) is corrupt.

Please update us as to how this turns out.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If it is corrupted, they will likely just replace the book. If it's something else, like bad software or hardware, they will likely either fix or replace that as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ebook is not corrupt per se but it does contain invalid HTML markup that causes a rendering error on the device. I was able to upload it to my desktop to inspect it and whilst I can even correct the error myself (if I choose to take a DIY route) I want to know that I can obtain a refund should there be even more serious issues with other ebooks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should there not, at least, be a response to this escalated issue saying as much?

Well, today was the first telephone call, really, after a few messages sent via the customer care website and via email over the past 10 days all the call support guy did was add a note to my issue record. Although I was reasonably impressed with the initial front-line support, the 2nd-level follow-up has been appalling.

I'm interested in hearing what experiences people have had with issue escalations.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
malpingu, I have called twice to Kobo support and had excellent response both times (though its frustrating that I had to do it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I can tell, Kobobooks only publishes ePub format books, some of which may be ADE-encumbered but not this one.

Hugh, I have had no issue with Kobobook's first-line support either online or via telephone, unless/until the issue has been escalated. Have you any experience with their second-line support?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hugh, I have had no issue with Kobobook's first-line support either online or via telephone, unless/until the issue has been escalated. Have you any experience with their second-line support or know anyone who has?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts