Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was wondering if anyone has had a problem reading a KOBO due to the screen not being back-lit. I am thinking of getting the wife an ereader and a colleague at work told me not to get the KOBO since the screen is not back-lit. Is this a real problem and am I better getting the Sony?

Thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Neither the Sony, Kobo or Kindle are back-lit. They use eInk screens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No backlight is exactly why I have purchased one of these devices for reading books. It's a lot easier on the eyes and I can read the book for a lot longer in one sitting than on a backlit computer screen.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There is at least one case, probably more, that has a built in LED light for reading on the Kobo and other eInk devices.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Something like the Thinkpad light built in to an eReader like the Kobo would actually make a lot of sense. When you need a bit of light, press a button and a light pops up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just got the Nook for my wife, and to me, the display seems too dim. Almost resembles when you put your mouse over the "Shutdown" button in Windows XP and the display starts dimming. I realize e-ink screens have no backlight, but I wish the contrast could be increased.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts