Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kobo today announced an upgraded Kobo Wireless eReader which will sell for the same price beginning in late October.

The company says the new hardware features WiFi connectivity; faster performance; longer battery life; and a sharper eInk screen.

The device comes in three colours: Onyx, Porcelain with Metallic Silver back, and Porcelain with a Pearlized Lilac back.

The Kobo Wireless eReader will sell in Canada and in the United States beginning in late October for $149 CDN and $139 USD respectively. Online pre-orders begin today.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They claim page turning is 2.5x faster with the new processor so presumably start up is faster too.

We have a Kobo reader and were considering getting a Kindle for the faster screen and better display although we'd like a better Kobo since all the books we bought are from them.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
You can go to your local Chapters/Indigo. I went to mine and I just love the new Kobo.

The next-page delay is virtually gone, screen contrast is dramatically better, and startup (although I don't care much on the previous Kobo) is also much faster (or at least feels that way).

I demo-ed the new Kobo on Sept 28th and already pre-ordered mine in lavender (uhmm... pearlized lilac) back with white front.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am tempted. I quickly realized the one thing on my wish list for my Kobo is WiFi. I just hate the fact I bought the original one only months ago when it launched. It hasn't even been six months! I replace gadgets pretty quickly but that would be a record for me.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind too much since the $149 for the reader wasn't too bad. Remember the Kindle was still selling for about $289 back then.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
and don't forget that you get 100 books included (which in my case, about 20 of them are interesting read)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought the new Kobo Reader last week. Startup ok, Wireless hook up went well to my network. My book list from kobo was up dated ( was on my ipod touch previously) I also was able to borrow a book from my local library and get it on the reader................all in all i'm happy as I only want it as a reader. I use a laptop for other stuff while travelling.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
It still annoys me that even with the faster processor, everytime I "flip" a page, the screen turn all black before moving on to the next page.

Much better than the previous version, but not enough improvement, IMHO.

·
Registered
516 Posts
David, don't all e-paper devices do that? I thought they had to initiate a full wipe of the screen before they could write more data to it. Kind of like an etch-a-sketch, you can't remove what's there unless you shake it...

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
that is correct, Drainc, but the faster the processor and voltage "shock" to wipe the screen, the faster the full-wipe is.

I don't expect it to completely disappear, but the delay is still below my subjective threshold of acceptability.

Quite honestly if they charge $100 for it, then it becomes acceptable to me but at $150, I expect more (side note, the 1st gen Kobo, even at $100 is not acceptable for my subjective point of view... hence even when I had the chance to buy the 1st gen for $100, I didn't buy it)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Question: Does the Kobo Wifi allow you to link to e-mail providers like "Gmail" to do your e-mail? If yes how friendly is the function?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Kobo wifi is for Kobo e-store and Kobo app only. At least that what they showed me during the pre-release.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So if I can get this reader for about 120 plus tax, would anyone say drop the hammer? Or should I pay a little more and get the Sony 350?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Get it get it get it!!!!!!!! (And I want to know how can you get it for $120 too!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha! Thanks alot I probably will then. I work at a major discount retailer and instead of a Xmas bonus we get 20% off 3 items of our choosing over the next two weeks. This and maybe an xbox will be 2 of my purchases!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Aside from "buying Canadian", I'm wondering if the Nook (non-color one) is a better alternative. Same price (well, close anyway since it's USD), same access to Kobo e-store, same e-ink advantages and disadvantages, but it has web-browsing, albeit limited and likely slow and ugly, and also free 3G connectivity in the US, and 90% of us live within an hour from the US border.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am starting to consider one of these. I recall some of you mentioning when it debuted the potential flimsiness of the select button. Has anyone had any problems with their Kobo in this respect?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The physical construction of the wireless version appears virtually identical to the original. My wife has used her original Kobo every day since Mother's Day (and read the equivalent of probably somewhere around 5,000 pages) without complaining of flimsiness. She used to complain it was a little slow so I am thinking about getting her the second gen for Christmas.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I just picked up the Kobo wireless eReader to replace my old Sony PRS-600 Touch unit. I never really used the touchscreen on the Sony and was intrigued by the syncing features offered by the Kobo unit (since all my eBooks have been purchased from the Kobo store).

While in the store, I actually put my Sony eReader right next to the Kobo to do a direct comparison. While it was a bit unfair (given that this was the older Sony touchscreen unit), it still helped me realize why I wanted to upgrade. The contrast was excellent on the Kobo, and I also noticed it was quite a bit faster in page turn speed as well. The "flash" time was still about the same, but the Kobo definitely reacted quicker to button presses (and flashed earlier than the Sony as a result).

I like the fact you can still read while charging off USB, which is something the Sony doesn't do. Setting up a secured Wi-Fi connection and entering my account details for my Kobo account was a bit tedious since I couldn't just tap on the letters, but given that this is something I probably won't need to do too often, I can live with it. I also like the more simplified interface on the Kobo unit, which hides everything until you press the Menu button.

The only drawback is that now others in my family want it. Oh well, there is Christmas....... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts