Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is running Klipsch speakers? Impressions?

I'm about 85-90% DVD/TV watching, and very little music. I can get a great deal on a complete HT setup. I like the high treble, and I can still adjust it manually, and the low end is good. Where I listen to them is about the same size room, and it runs the same receiver, so I know what to expect at home.
Thanks all...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Klipsch speakers

I run Klipsch RF7's,(fronts, center & surrounds), I love them, I love them, I love them..
For music they are riviting!
For a good movie soundtrack,I'm in audio nervana.
That being said, I know there are alot of people that don't like them, claim they sounds like someone is talking out of a megaphone or with cupped hands. I have never heard that, don't know what they are talking about.
Did I mention that I love them?
mightymike

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't be getting the 7's...can't affford that yet....'
RB-25 Bookshelves L&R
RC-25 Center
RS-10 surrounds (don't need anything bigger)

Are you running 5.1 or 7.1 mike?

·
Registered
110 Posts
5.1-7.1

Hi, Kinstud.
My reciever is capable of 7.1 but our room doesn't have the rear wall close enough to set it up. So the surrounds are just behind the seating on the side walls.
Personally, I don't think you would not love your choices!
mightymike

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I run Klipsch strictly for 2 channel music. It's hard to generalize, even within the Klipsch company products as they make such a wide and varied range. Their home professional theatre speakers are designed and dedicated for just that application.

Personally I know of no other speaker systems under the 20K - 30K price range that I would even consider changing my particular speaker model for.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have Klipsch RB5s, centre and SW, and love them. I've read that some people don't think the SW has enough oumph, but talk to my neighbours about that one! I have about the same user profile as you (i.e. ~85% tv/dvd watching, although my Xbox does get a bit of time too). I don't mind the treble either, particularly on DVDs, but I do get plenty of base as well. The RB5s have a nice dynamic range.

I haven't experienced the megaphone effect either, but I did match up an SC centre with my RB bookshelves, which to my ears handles audio tracks on DVDs better.

I use JBLs as my surrounds, and they match up surprisingly well.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have JBL N24's I may use as my back speakers in a 7.1 setup....

It's interesting to read khorn say he uses them for music, when many people say Klipsch are not strong musically. This basically solidifies my choice.

Still taking suggestions/impressions...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
KinStud said:
I have JBL N24's I may use as my back speakers in a 7.1 setup....

It's interesting to read khorn say he uses them for music, when many people say Klipsch are not strong musically. This basically solidifies my choice.

Still taking suggestions/impressions...
When using a good source and amplification the top Klipsch "Heritage" speakers sound fantastic here is my sound system:

Digital Front End:
Sony SCD-1

Pre Amplifier:
Accustic Arts Preamp I SS Class 'A'

Amplification:
Highly Upgraded Nirvana Electronics Works A-60 SS Pure Class 'A' Type 60wpc

Speaker System:
Klipsch 'Klipschorn' corner horns 104 dbw

Speaker Cables:
AEON 8 (France)

Interconnects:
Cardas Golden Cross between SACD and preamp and pre-amp and power amp

System Rack:
Target

Music Storage System:
Can-Am Media Storage Cabinet

Other Accessories:
Black Diamond Racing Cones under Amp and Pre-amp. Cardas Golden, Hex & Quad power cables

I'm REALLY happy with the musical performance of this system

·
Registered
110 Posts
not stong for music?

HI, kinstud.
Really? I've never heard that and I don't know what they would be basing that on.
There are alot of speaker sets out there, that would fit each listeners needs
but as far as Klipsch not being stong for music, I'm at a loss to understand that reasoning.
mightymike
khorn,
Can I come over? Please??? I'm running mine through a Denon 5800.
mightymike

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other forums have suggested that Klipsch loaded horn is not th ebest thing for listening to music....although I personally thought that was crap.

Khorn, I've got a, Onkyo 702 for power. It's got at least 85W of power, and I know I'll never use all 85 watts. I've heard my receiver power the speakers in the store, so I'm not worried about powering these. Plus they are very efficient speakers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
power

The klipsch speakers are very efficent. This is mostly due, I believe to the horn but they respond beatifully in the mid and lower range to a minimum of power, very rich, as a matter of fact, their mid range to me is most satisfing.
mightymike
Come on kinstud, don't be shy, turn that baby UP. Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Getting good sound no matter what decent speakers are used isn't an easy straight forward thing. There are very many factors involved. I'd like to write a bit about it but to do it properly would take a fair amount of time. For example: judging how your system will sound by using just "watts" is very misleading. Believe me it’s more the "kind" of power you have as well as things like power supply capability and many other factors. For instance if you want "really good sound" for a reasonable price it's hard to beat some of the British high current capability integrated amps. You could put a 200 wpc receiver up againsed a 50 wpc well designed amp/pre combo or integrated amp and the latter will totally "blow away" that high power receiver on an ultimate sound/music basis. Now this might not matter for reproducing soundtracks in a HT as much.

One other thing to stop and think about: It takes a fair amount of $$ just to put together a really decent 2 channel music system. If you want to keep the same quality level in a multi channel setup it's only reasonable to expect the cost to be multiplied many times as there are more than just adding additional channels of amplification to fit into the equation. As I stated above, the subject is too broad to approach in just one small post.

I hope I’m not offending anyone with what I’m writing. I’m just “telling it like I see it” after many years of being involved with this stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
speakers and amps

Hi, khorn.
I agree with you for the most part.
Sometimes we are forced to make compromises ( money, loved ones, etc.) and that is where the ear has to come into play.
There are so many quality components out there, some are only meant for the extreme high end market, to me, I know my hearing parameters and I think anything outside those limits would never be fully enjoyed the way they were meant to be, ( I have to add, The cost also is a big problem for me.)
The way I have always looked at it is, if the sound is to my liking and I can pay for it, that is what I need.
There have been some upper end stuff that I just could not get a satisfing sound out of. I did listen to an Outlaw pre pro and amp(the 5 channel model) don't remember the model, that I quite liked, very affordable but I liked the Denon's fullness and superb(to me) middle and top end.
Yeah, if you get poor quality power it doesn't matter if its high power, it just wont make it.
mightymike

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
mightymike said:
Hi, khorn.
I agree with you for the most part.
Sometimes we are forced to make compromises ( money, loved ones, etc.) and that is where the ear has to come into play.
Music, being my priority is where I concentrate my effort and resources. I know that If I were to get involved with multi channel video I would probably be looking at a system designed just for that purpose and at a fraction of the cost of the music one.

My audio and video are in separate rooms and right now all I use for video sound is the speakers built into my Tosh 50HDX82. As the TV is in a rather small room I would most likely consider a receiver based system with a speaker system based on making movie soundtracks and sound effects the priority as I wouldn’t have to consider the serious music reproduction aspect. In a way maybe this is the best approach, if reasonable, as it allows “tailoring” each system for it’s priorities and can probably done in the most cost effective manner.

Not everyone has the priorities, space or desire to approach it in that way. Probably most use an integrated “all in one” Audio/Video system which makes sense. I know that if I ever had to move from my own detached home to another type of accommodation (that didn't allow seperate rooms) I would probably have to seriously consider the latter approach.

I’m quite sure many here feel I must be nuts for using just the built in TV sound system without any multi channel surround sound whatsoever and feel that my approach in that area is an exact opposite to the fact that I dedicate so many resources to a 2 channel only music system.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I don't think you're nuts. If I had the bread and the square footage, I'd be looking at some serious STEREO gear.

I use a dual HT/Music set up (far from high end equipment) and it's passable for both.

All multichannel movie tracks on DVD use lossy compression (for now), and most affordable (subjective) surround speaker systems are adequate for that purpose.

I'd love to hear some serious STEREO gear in an ideal listening environment, but I know it would spoil me and send me into a financial downward spiral... :).

For now I'm content with the gear I have, but someday..... I love music !

Klipsch are infamous for state-of-the-art musical reproduction.

I personally prefer STEREO over multichannel hands down. I find 5.1 music to sound 'cooked', artificial. 99% of the music I listen to was conceived and recorded in stereo (I'm a 70's headbanger for sure).

The remixed music from that era that I have heard (albeit dts at best), just sounds like a novelty (to me).

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be getting the system completed with each successive paycheck....so look for pics and my impressions starting in about 2-3 weeks. I can't wait for good sound to go with a good receiver, good tv and passable DVD.

Edit: the 702 has 100W per channel....and if it's good enough for THX certification, I know it will be more than enough power to shake the house.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Front and Center are in the house and shaking things nicely...
I've got the rears still and then I'm done :)

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rears are in and installed. Everything sounds smooth. Klipsch RS-25.

The tweeters being placed at 90° sure opens the soundstage. Very impressed in the few movies I've previewed with them in place. I would really like to get 2 more and create the 7.1 system, but I need to pay for school ;)

I'll get pics up sometime this weekend. Right now I'm really happy :)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm glad to see there are others out there who like the Klipsch sound.
I've been using Klipsch for centre, surround and sub for quite some time. I have big StudioLabs for front. I use stereo for anything music. My old Pioneer Elite I bought about one day before Dolby digital was introduced. It's 120x4 for surround but does 160x2 in stereo. I haven't seen any new receivers set up that way. I'm looking to go 7.1 and I’d like to stick with Klipsch if I can afford it. My living room is pretty small so I’d have to mount side surrounds on the wall.
Who sells Klipsch these days?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts