Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month we are going to start kitchen renos. One of the plans is to mount a TV in the corner, so my wife can watch TV when she's in the kitchen. She figures she spends at least a couple hours a night in the kitchen between cleaning up dinner and making the kids lunches.

I am thinking 27-32" size should fit in the space. Just trying to figure out where to mount the satellite receiver.... Should I attach it to the back of the TV and RF remote it? or mount it in the basement and fish a HDMI cable up through the wall?

There will be a bunch of drywall cut anyways, so one more patch isn't going to make a big difference....

Yep... Kitchen renos

Maple cabinets
Granite Countertops
Hardwood floors
Pass Thru window to the dining room
and a
flat screen TV!

P

·
Registered
491 Posts
We mounted an LG 26" HD set above the door in our kitchen (just fit!) and mounted our "kitchen" cable DVR in the ext room (utility), connected with an HDMI cable and remote IR sensor fished through the wall. My wife records the local evening news and some fairly light series on the DVR and catches up while creating dinner or washing up. The kitchen isn't the place for deep, serious or critical viewing. More like CNN, Oprah and the View. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I run a similar setup to cavu in the same situation - hdmi over cat6 from the main pvr with RF extenders all fished through the wall to the tv.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the replies.

I ordered a wall mount and a 12' HDMI cable from monoprice yesterday. The TV is going to be mounted about 6' up on the wall in the kitchen on a swivel mount, and the HDMI wire is going to go down in the wall to the basement. I'll stick the satellite receiver in the basement. The receiver has RF capabilities so no IR transmitter needed. I'll run some RG6 coaxial and a string in the wall too just incase things change.

Gotta go buy a TV now.

P

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm sure that will work well for you. I run several HDMI cables from a central media centre HDMI splitter, with the longest HDMI run being 35 feet to the wall plate, two floors up, with a 10 foot 'patch' cable added to the TV. I'm also using RF control of the devices plugged into the splitter - no problems with RF range, image or audio quality. 12 feet should work great!

What are you doing for the pass-through - cutting an opening into a traditional kitchen floor to ceiling 'L' wall?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the wall I would guess. If the basement is open, it is not to hard to drill up into the wall cavity.
Correct.

The basement underneath the kitchen is unfinished. That's good because 1 extra supply and drain line plus probably 2 extra electrical circuits are to be added to the kitchen.

The wall the TV is going to be mounted on is an exterior wall. Not sure if drilling from up top or below is easier. They are redoing the baseboard too, so they'll take a peak at it when they get to that point.

I'm not doing the reno. I'm just writing a cheque on this one, well actually multiple cheques.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts