Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to design a new kitchen, but does not want to pay for the professionals. Are there some software out there any one knows or have used that are good for the amateur use? I know Ikea has a software but it does not do much. TIA.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Do you have a type of cabinet in mind? Most kitchen cabinet places will work with your "blank slate".

The cabinets can be different sizes, so working with your own software may be a waste if the cabinets you want come in a different size. For example, every 50mm instead of 3", etc.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As 57 suggests, a lot of Kitchen insallation companies have them. They typically will do it for you.

I used the IKEA one for some basic ideas but as you say it is limited. I ended up using paper and paper cut-outs to do the basics.

I wasn't re-doing my kitchen just adding a bit. I googled on kitchen design software and there are a lot. Beyond the IKEA level, however, there is quite a steep learning curve for the ones I saw.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I play with Sierra Home Architect, I've found it to be the best amateur designing s/w out there. It's simple to use, ALOT less glitchy then several of the other s/w design pkgs I've tried, and has a very good library of real furnishings, cabinetry etc...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have never found one that I personally like, but there are a number of products available if you want to check some out:

FloorPlan 3D Design Suite 10 http://www.imsisoft.com/all_products.asp
HomePlan Pro http://www.homeplanpro.com
3D Home Architect Home Design Deluxe http://www.broderbund.com/

You can also use Visio for this sort of thing, which can do scaled drawings and comes with a number of object palettes for floorplans. Not sure if Visio would have kitchen objects, but someone out there might have created a palette for it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried Ikea's software again, and found it to be quite versatile. The only kicker is that it is their kitchen. But it does give a very good 3D view from all angles. You can walk towards it and the view gets larger and smaller if you walk away. I did not test it enough the first time, but I think it will do for now until I find the right cabinet that she wants.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Victor: thanks for the tip. I ran the demo and it seems to be pretty good. However, their catalog is all european stuff which I don't recognize. What do you do with it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmm... I use 'KITCHENS & BATHROOMS (US)' layout (check drop-down list at the top-right corner). This layout has all elements measured in inches and feet.

WBR, Victor.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
I have deleted the post requesting a software crack.

PS: Give Google Sketchup a shot. Be sure to search the online library for existing models or you can make your own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts