Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I dont know how good of programing is on some of those channels, but by the general looks of it, I would build a DBGH with NARODs and point it at 236 degrees magnetic. The channels at 62 degrees are strong enough to picked up on the backside.

If you just want the channels at 62 degrees magnetic, which cover all the major networks, then there are simpler solutions. :p

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yroc:It's how much work do you want to get into. I like to start simple like maybe bi-quad. Read thread Simple DIY for apartment living. When you get the bug then DBGH will be fun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 4221HD at my summer condo in Ottawa, it's installed in the attic. I was trying to get and idea how the same unit might do in FL.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I was trying to get and idea how the same unit might do in FL.
In the attic in Florida ?
If youre just after the stations at around 62 degrees magnetic (Orlando), and stick a 32" X 32" piece of 2" X 4" mesh on the back of the reflector for channel 11, it will do fine. :)

The big question is, do you want the Tampa Bay stations, most of which look to be repeats of the Orlando ones.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just hoping for a reasonable number of channels to be honest.

Is there some reason not to put it in the attic in FL?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Orlando would be your local stations, and youll probably get about 50 sub-channels from Orlando. In the attic would be fine for a Orlando antenna.

If you want Tampa Bay, then an outdoor setup on a fairly tall mast would be best. Your decision may boil down to your favorite sports teams, ie like the Jaguars or the Bucks, heh. Tampa Bay Lightning ice hockey would come from Tampa Bay, but may also be carried on an Orlando station.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_teams_in_Florida

·
Registered
366 Posts
Radiant barrier and metal/tile roofs are the usual reasons. If you don't have those as factors, your odds do improve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just hoping for a reasonable number of channels to be honest.

Not really.

Most of Central Florida is amazingly FLAT without a lot of tall buildings, etc. So reception is pretty damned good.

I put up a coat-hangar bow-tie antenna (just a notch above rabbit ears) for the TV in our break area at work. I work at an Air Force base near Cocoa Beach, FL. I mounted the antenna INSIDE AN ALL-STEEL AIRCRAFT HANGAR BUILDING. Now, airports are supposed to be the worst location for TV reception - all of those radios, radars, etc. should mess up the incoming TV signals. And yet, we're pulling in ALL of the Orlando channels & sub-channels - 41 in all. Good solid reception without any pixelation or drop-outs. We're approximately 35-40 miles from the towers (TV Fool report).

At home (TV Fool report), I was fooling around with a "Stealth Hawk" antenna I built. Again, I was getting solid reception from everything in Orlando with the antenna about 6-7 ft high inside the house. Then I mounted it on a broom handle and stuck it out a window. As soon as I lifted it above the roof eave (one story house) - about 8-9 feet off the ground - I STARTED GETTING MIAMI STATIONS (Miami is about 170 miles south of me). :eek:

So, start off cheap and easy and see what you can get before you put any money or real effort into an antenna. Kissimee is a fair bit closer to the Orlando towers than I am, so you may be able to get by with a simple indoor antenna. Good luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most of Central Florida is amazingly FLAT without a lot of tall buildings, etc. So reception is pretty damned good.
That's largely the problem I face here in the far suburbs of Dallas, Texas. :)

It makes antenna comparisons and shootouts rather difficult since everything comes in so well even with a modest setup. Its like shooting fish in a barrel, no sport in that.

Like Florida, we have flat terrain and like all of the Zone II regions, there are tall towers and high powers with good signal satuation. Plus, as is the case of Orlando and much of the sunbelt, most facilities transmit from a common antenna farm.

Sometimes I envy our Canadian colleagues since working with antennas is more of a challenge and, egro, more fun from the hobbyist perspective. Right stampeder?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Dennis_D said:
I mounted the antenna INSIDE AN ALL-STEEL AIRCRAFT HANGAR BUILDING
Glutton for punishment, eh? :D Being inside what is almost a Faraday Cage the antenna will get the stations already suggested, but that steel structure will attenuate most of the other signals, including tropo. It will be interesting to see your results in the high summer.
re_nelson said:
Sometimes I envy our Canadian colleagues since working with antennas is more of a challenge and, egro, more fun from the hobbyist perspective. Right stampeder?
Yep, for folks more than 30 or so miles from the border that about nails it - the OTA motto up here should be "You can't get that from here!", which is followed by a bunch of us stubborn types proving that we can, or else spending a load of time and money to almost make it work. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, we've since had to relocate to another hangar, since they're rebuilding the old one to house larger aircraft. But the guys who moved everything did also move the TV & antenna. They "mounted" the antenna outside on the south side of the building (Orlando is NNW of us), horizontally instead of vertically, and pointed roughly to the southwest at Naples, FL. But we're still picking up all of those Orlando channels & subchannels. :D

I'm starting to think that I could jam the end of a loop of baling wire into the coax jack on the back of the TV and do just fine. :p

re_nelson said:
Yep, for folks more than 30 or so miles from the border that about nails it - the OTA motto up here should be "You can't get that from here!", which is followed by a bunch of us stubborn types proving that we can, or else spending a load of time and money to almost make it work.
Gotta admire the never-give-up, we-can-do-it attitude.

Me, I'm just trying to get the wife to cancel the cable TV. Believe me, THAT is more than enough of a challenge without any technical issues... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
@ Yroc (the OP)

I thought I'd mention that I've recently built a single-bay Grey Hoverman without reflectors just to try it out in the Orlando-Daytona Beach market. I'm over in Melbourne, near Cocoa Beach - about 35-40 miles from the transmitters.

WOW. :eek:

I was already picking up all 41 of the channels & subchannels before with my little home-made "Stealth Hawk" antenna. But a lot of them had signal strengths around 20-30%.

NOW I'm picking up most of them between 80-100%. None of then were over 60% before. Even WESH which is in the VHF-Hi (Real Channel 11) comes in fine (but only about 30-40%). Remember that the GH is really just designed as a UHF antenna. That it picks up WESH at all (the most problematic station in the market) is amazing.

BTW, those signal strengths were with the antenna ON THE FLOOR of my family room, leaning against the wall. I'd imagine that when I mount it in my attic (no roof antennas in Florida - too many hurricanes! :mad:) that I'll be getting ALL of my stations coming in at 80-100% - even WESH.

The Grey Hoverman is really very simple to build - even more so if you omit the reflector elements (which I see no need for in my case). Took me about an hour to build it, including rooting around my garage for material and having to strip copper wire out of some romex I had and straightening it. So don't be intimidated about building your own antenna.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Even WESH which is in the VHF-Hi (Real Channel 11) comes in fine (but only about 30-40%). Remember that the GH is really just designed as a UHF antenna. That it picks up WESH at all (the most problematic station in the market) is amazing.
For a big boost for channel 11, just stick a pair of 28" straight NARODs on it. Make the NARODS from the same material as the elements and mount one 6 mm (measured surface to surface) above the top pair of stubs, and one below the bottom pair of stubs.

Besides boosting your channel 11 Net Gain, it also adds structure to the reflectorless SBGH.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The Grey Hoverman is really very simple to build - even more so if you omit the reflector elements (which I see no need for in my case). Took me about an hour to build it, including rooting around my garage for material and having to strip copper wire out of some romex I had and straightening it. So don't be intimidated about building your own antenna.
Thats about right if you had to hunt for the materials, heh.
Thanks so much for the info
Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heading up in a couple weeks. Hope to find an OTA outfitter as I prefer buy instead of build. Will post here and let others know how I do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dennis_D,

Why do you refer to WESH as "the most problematic station in the market".

I am trying to pick WESH up better and so I'm scrounging for info that might help. If you would be so kind, please share any truths or rumors you've heard about picking up this station :)

Thanks,

Bobby

1 - 20 of 69 Posts