Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't think it's a war among ebook readers but they're dropping their prices trying to compete with the iPad.

A snippet from the article in your link.
But the release of the Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) iPad has pushed e-readers toward obsolescence, Weiner said.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I think price drops were inevitable regardless of the iPad.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The same article also states

"Are consumers willing to pay a little more, and sacrifice some reading comfort, for all that capability? Probably."
I guess 3 times the price is a "little" more.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Good point, eBooks are far more readable in daylight than the iPad but I wouldn't think sand would do them any favors. Then again I could just take a real book to the beach. mmm beach...

Another problem is DRM, eBooks are full of it. You can't transfer them easily and the iPad does not support the Adobe Digital Editions reader (did you know many libraries will let you sign out eBooks?)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
iPad is a red herring here. The decline in prices was inevitable thanks to increased sales (which reduces production costs) and increased competition.

I'm sure this won't be the first price decline for the Kindle.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Well I am a happy man, just bought the kindle today because of the price drop. I really wanted to get my wife the I-Pad but when we looked at it the screen is not conducive to reading long hours and she is a pure reader. So the Kindle is it.

I think Hugh is right this is the start of a few drops in the prices, I think it is great for the consumer!!!! Must love competition!!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Interesting that the DX is still $489. I guess until someone comes out with a cheaper 9.7" version, that price will remain the same. My sense is the smaller screens are now being churned out in mass quantities so the production cost has dropped more significantly on the lower priced models.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DX is way too expensive but as you said, no competition in that size window amongst e-readers.

I doubt they sell many, it seems way too big.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think someone here on DHC made an argument about how using an e-reader on the beach was important to them. :cool:
I did and I'm sure I'm not alone since I see several on the beach when I go away.

Love it on the beach. Good size for such an adventure.

I'm not concerned about sand since I'm careful with it and it's never near the water.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The DX is 2.4" longer and 1.9" wider than the regular Kindle. Now that we have the Kobo in the smaller size, I can see getting the DX at some point. At night my wife enlarges the font when reading in bed so the larger screen would be nice so she doesn't have to "flip" the pages as often.

In other words, small screen for travel, big screen for home.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about small screen for travel and PC/Notebook/Netbook/Ipad, etc. for home?

I use my notebook for home.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
No rush! We just got our first ebook reader two months ago so we're still getting used to it.

Whatever we decide, it will have to be cheaper than what is out there now. My suspicion is we'll wait until the December to February time frame.

I expect a $99 entry level reader by Christmas so maybe $289 for Kindle DX or a similar sized competitor?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I have the Kobo ($149, 6" ink) and the Kindle 2i (US$189+shipping, 6" eink, built-in dictionary, text-to-speech, 3G wireless delivery / sync, full web-browsing). I recommend both, but for different reasons.

The Kobo is considerably lighter (I use it without a case) and surprisingly comfy. The Kobo bookstore is reasonably robust and offers a number of titles not at Amazon and sometimes cheaper. Many Smashwords titles are sold through Kobo making yet another account unnecessary.

The Kobo has a few firmware challenges (first update apparently due this week) but the Kobo actually performs pretty well. It is definitely much slower to turn pages and change books but none of this is a show-stopper. And it's Canadian, for those who care about such things. Best Kobo attribute not on the Kindle: you can borrow library ebooks. Battery life is the better part of two weeks.

I use the Kindle 2i in a leather case (extra $$) which makes holding it a two-handed or inclined lap proposition. The latest firmware is 2.5.3 (delivered seamlessly over 3G) has added more book management options (ie collections tags), plus some social networking stuff for those inclined, and broadened free 3G web access (like Google searches or reading the Globe and Mail online) to Canada and other places outside of the US.

The Kindle 2i dictionary is really nice to have. Text-to-speech is credible if you're in the mood to be read to. The serif font, in seven sizes, is more legible than either the Kobo's serif or sans serif fonts and five sizes. Kindle books, in my experience default to justified mode which is more pleasing on the small real estate than the ragged right of most Kobo books. With wireless off, Kindle 2i easily matches 2 weeks extensive usage.

Yes, they both work on the beach, too. With the Kindle, you could buy a new new title without going back to your hotel room to download something from your laptop. So snuggle up in your beach chair and ask for another Margarita, please! :)

Which is for you? The Kobo is cheapest and very basic -- but that can be a plus, right? Read and delete and download -- the Kobo is pretty nice. And, you get library access capability. But the Kindle 2i packs an awful lot of more e-reader into the $60 or so extra you'll be out of pocket. Dictionary, 3G wireless, a more readable font set, book management and the other nice to haves like social networking and text-to-speech. Finally -- Amazon's Kindle bookstore has a far more extensive collection than any competitor.

Those thinking of Barnes & Noble bookstore and their Nook ... think again is you live outside of the United States. Neither device nor books are sold in Canada.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts