·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

For your amusement, here is some feedback I recently sent to Amazon:
=========================================

Just returned from 2 weeks in the sun.

I used the Kindle 3G Wi-Fi every day, and was surprised by the outcome. While this Kindle is a very good book reader, I was pleased and amused that the browser and MP3 player were as useful as they were.

Although slow and limited, the browser was just functional enough to let me check and respond to e-mail any time or place in range of the hotel’s Wi-Fi (nearly everywhere). I used Google’s Gmail, but had to use their “basic HTML” version to avoid continual browser crashes. Reading web sites was possible, but obviously limited by small screen size and the lack of ability to open multiple windows at the same time. Like the dancing bear, the wonder is not that the bear dances well, but that it dances at all.

The MP3 player worked adequately, but is extremely limited in functionality. See “bear” comment above.

Thanks to the Amazon team for their experimental software – keep up the development.

I found the Kindle to be robust – no scratches and dents, despite having dropped it from chest height onto a tile floor. And I love the small, convenient charger.

What a treat not having to lug a pile of books with me – usually I read about 4-5 a week. Just my slick little Kindle.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
One question, if you have 3g why did you have to find a wifi hotspot?

I used my Kindle on the beach to read email, stock quotes, etc. Haven't tried the mp3 functionality.

Having calibre installed at home, i'm able to send out (via email to my kindle) newspaper publications throughout the day. Great treat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naming Goof

Hi James:

Ooops. The Kindle model I use is called the 3, not the 3G. It has Wi-Fi but no 3G radio network capability.

I also subscribed to the Globe and Mail for around $ 16 per month, and it was delivered each morning via Wi-Fi. Nifty as hell.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
That makes more sense. Yes, the wifi (and 3g) both work great. Also a fan of the charger which can easily be used for other devices like cell phones. Very compact.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great feedback.

I'm planning to buy one for my wife for her birthday, as she always runs out of books on holiday and loves to read and re-read books at home or away.

I was considering the Wifi only version, but the 3G is hard to pass up with these features and the "free forever" concept. Anybody else regret wifi-only or have any issues with 3G connectivity and usefulness?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have the 2nd generation with just the 3G. The only connectivity issues I ever have is really only in the odd places you'd have the same reception issues with your cell phone. I spend all day one the road and I have purchased almost all my books while sitting in my van throughout town. If you're looking to purchase books while on vacation, I'd go with the 3G, but then with the prevalence of free wifi spots it might not be too hard to purchase on the road.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
3g/wifi isn't just for purchasing books, it's also for checking your email and the odd mobile website that doesn't take forever to load.

I had no issue spending the extra $50 since I travel outside the country frequently and 3g is more widespread than wifi. I also used to use it on the commuter train but my smartphone now does the surfing I once did on the Kindle.

If you don't have a smartphone or travel outside of Canada, spend the extra $50 otherwise use the money and get the wifi version with a nice case.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Love the Kindle. It's slow surfing the net, yes, but it works just fine. Nice and light, easy to hold thanks to the rubberized covering, and clear as a bell to read. My next vacation will probably see the iPad staying at home.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So what's the final cost to us canucks of the kindle delivered to Canada? Also, what's the return policy for the kindle? I tried the ipad2 but didn't like it much for reading.

·
Registered
405 Posts
FWIW here's my order from January this year:

1 of: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover $59.99
1 of: Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite $139.00
Item(s) Subtotal: $198.99
Shipping & Handling: $10.07
Total Before Tax: $209.06
Sales Tax: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit: $23.88

Total for This Shipment: $232.94
Return policy:

You can return any Kindle you purchased directly from Amazon for a full refund within 30 days of the day you received it as long as it is in new condition and in accordance with our return policy. Your Kindle is not eligible for return and refund after the 30-day return period has expired.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks doglips. Some are saying they got their import duties back as refunds from Amazon. Did you get yours? Maybe that's why it's called "deposit".

·
Registered
405 Posts
I often get refunds from amazon for import duties but can't recall specifically if or what I may have received for that order.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
My wife had her KindleDX go sour (screen froze with a bunch of black lines) and got replacement shipped here (Canada) free of charge. She had to send the old/broken one back within a couple weeks with the included shipping label - and then just the other day, she got a "refund" from Amazon for the duty charged (??) on the free shipping.

Yeah - we don't understand either, but she has a $4.86 credit to her Amazon account, so she's not complaining. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just ordered a wifi only graphite the breakdown is

Subtotal of Items: $139.00
Shipping & Handling: $9.98
------
Import Fees Deposit $31.51
------
Total for this Order: $180.49

I'm going to eventually get that $31.51 back? That would be nice. I was a little ticket that I had to pay shipping on the unit simply because I'm in canada. Also why did I have to order through amazon.com even though it's listed on amazon.ca?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts