Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on a situation I have with a new kindle purchase. I may be out of luck but figured I'd ask.

Back in August I decided to order a Kindle for my wife's bday in November. She started using the Kindle app on our iPad in October under my amazon account with a few books purchased.

When I finally gave her the Kindle yesterday we decided it would be best if it was registered under an amazon account for her so we set up an amazon account. I won't be using it so it's best that she get the kindle recommendation emails and her visa is charged rather than mine :)

As I was helping her out I thought mid-process "Oh crap, DRM. This could be an issue".

Of course, after we de-registered the kindle from my account and connected it to hers the handful of books purchased were gone. Makes sense in retrospect. I wish I would have thought about that early on but that's life.

So, my question is, do I have any options for getting those 5-6 books purchased under my account over to hers? My gut tells me no. She's read the books fully so it's not that huge of a thing but still it would be nice to have them consolidated under her account moving forward.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
You would have to remove the DRM from the files (think google). It is not currently illegal in Canada to remove DRM for the purpose of format or device shifting. I think, if you haven't read the books then you would probably not be in breach of Canada's current copyright legislation to remove DRM, transfer the files to her Kindle, and delete them from your account.

That said, stripping DRM is something not everyone is comfortable with or feels is appropriate. That's a kind of a personal values question.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I did some googlin' and may give it a try. We de-authorized my account on the iPad and added hers and it seems to have left the books we bought under my account, so for now this will do if she needs to get at them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts