Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have been looking for information regarding what Sony Canada is offering folks for their replacements.I have received an offer from them but I'm not sure what to make of it.I have the melting/overheating issue not the optical block issue on my KF50WE620.
I found the IHADS facebook page, but the majority are Americans. The offers are nowhere close to being the same as the Canadian offers.Is there some thread or site where they give recent information?
I've been reading that the melting/overheating issues seem to do better than the OB issues (again in the US) but the offers that Krindle just mentioned are much better than mine,and one of Sony's offers to me was flat out ridiculous, it was more $ than it retails for at the local electronics store. ...just trying to make the right decision and I have to make it soon.Any information or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
thx
jwood

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
Jwood:

1. Most of these offers are now out of date, you're probably lucky to be "on the list"
2. Your TV is an LCD, not an SXRD (LCoS technology), which is the focus of the thread where you posted, so I've moved your post.
3. Suggest you search for your specific model as a keyword, perhaps with your particular issue as added keywords
4. If you got any sort of offer, it's better than nothing on your particular TV - although that would depend on restrictions $-value, etc.
5. Here's a previous thread on a different LCD Model, I didn't find a relevant thread for your model that contained much information, probably due to age.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=99282

Sony seem to be addressing each TV as a unique issue to be resolved based on:

- Make/model of TV
- Problem
- Etc.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I received an offer from sony last year. it was horrible. I tried to get them to make it a little better. I hear if people go to small claims court they do much better. I am considering that route in the next few months. I had the exact same issue as you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 57 for your help however my TV isn't lucky to be "on the list", in fact its still current on the Sony website until March 2011 as a bulletin.And mine is the newer of the ones mentioned. http://www.sony.ca/view/515.htm
There are tons of complaints and pictures of the issue on the internet but mostly from the US.

Cap, I think people are doing better now than last year since there has been a lot of noise around this especially in the US. They have had class action law suits and much public exposure with media etc. They are getting great offers for this problem,many offers better than the OB problem because its a safety issue(although Sony claims it isn't a fire hazard).How did you end it with them? Can you try again since its been extended to March? I might consider court as a last ditch effort or a class action law suit if there was one here in Canada.For now I'm trying to negotiate with them for the best offer.

Oryx,I'm assuming you think it was a fair deal.I was offered the same model as you but not at a very good price.I'm still in the middle of trying to do a little better with them.They gave me one offer, I wan't happy so I went back to them with 3 model numbers of acceptable tv's,then they came back with pricing that was downright ridiculous and arrogant.At first I found them pleasant and courteous but as you get further into the process, they get a little bite to them.

Thanks for the input guys, maybe we can attract some Canadian information to help others figure out what is a good offer and what isn't. That's what I'm interested in.

Jwood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts