Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

We have a Bell 9200 PVR HD receiver that we currently rent for $20 per month. It works fine except for the known HDMI issues.

Since we are paying every month and have been for 3 years, we thought maybe we should just buy either this receiver or the new 9241, but it looks like there are issues.

Another option would be to downgrade to a non-PVR HD receiver if there were a way to use our Mac Mini as a PVR that could record two shows at once (can the Elgato do that?).

Or is there a way to use the 6131 and an external HD to record two shows at once?

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have as to how we should go. There are day I dream of getting rid of TV service altogether and just using the internet, but the truth is that we love sports too much to do that.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
jes, you don't say how you've got your 9200 configured. Is it running just one TV or are you currently using the the two TV option? The 9241 does not support two TVs so if you're set up for two you'd be wise to stay with the 9200 or find a 9242. The latter would ready you for the switch to MPEG4 which I'm betting is about a year away.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well there is no way you can buy the receiver that you are Renting, Bell will not allow that, so you would be looking for a used 9200/9242 or buying a new 9241.

If you choose the 6131 option, you can add the EHD but it is and always will be a Single Tuner receiver so you can only ever record 1 show at a time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should keep it for now. From poking around, it appears that there will be lots of new PVR-like solutions in a year's time, so it's probably worth waiting anyway.

Best,
--JES

1 - 4 of 4 Posts