Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
One of the reasons I will never get an Android phone. Too much personal information and network access in a phone to risk having some virus/trojan run amok. No control on the apps. At least Apple reviews each app (I assume they review the source code or at least test) before approving on the app store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the reasons I will never get an Android phone. Too much personal information and network access in a phone to risk having some virus/trojan run amok. No control on the apps. At least Apple reviews each app (I assume they review the source code or at least test) before approving on the app store.
That's definitely a legitimate reason but I'm interested in your other reasons why you won't get an android phone.

Edit: How do you quote in these forums?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Prior to this, iPhones were known to have issues with viruses apart from various other problems after jailbreaking. Guess Apple isn't alone anymore in this aspect.
If you're worried about viruses then don't install anything from a source that you don't trust. It's just like a computer, if you're careful you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yep, here's where Apple's "stonewall" approach to the phone OS and apps shows its advantages.
I think Apple's preferred term is "Garden Wall". :)

At any rate, though, it does make the "curated environment" approach look a lot more attractive. An international SMS can run $0.75 a pop...and even straight data can get costly in a real hurry on low cap plans. Does Android Market not provide the same level of scrutiny as the Apple App Store?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was reading more about this, and found out that the malicious app was never in the actual Android Market. To get this one you would have had to go to the website directly and download it manually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts