Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am in the right department. If not, please move my post to the correct one.

I am venturing a silly question. I searched out the term, and it has been mentioned in passing, but there has been no explanation or discussion.
I found it at: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/2863/exclusive-first-look-kaleidescape-1080p-player-kplayer-6000-the-mini-player-page2.html

What can a Kaleidescape KPlayer-6000 do that my new Sony DAV-HDX576WF can't do? I'm getting solid HDMI 1080P, and the sound is so realistic, that last night I looked out the window to see if it was raining. My auditory and visual senses can't get any better than the technology I have now. You can only carry it so far, and then it is beyond the range of human discrimination. Then, won't we be making audio for dogs.:p ??

Anyone familiar with KPlayer-6000?

Uncle

·
Registered
714 Posts
I imagine that those who are purchasing a $10,000 Kaleidescape system with a $4,000 Standard Def DVD player are likely to own $50,000 custom home theaters. These are millionaires who own enormous DVD collections who have 130" projector screens in their media rooms. Absolutely, the video processing and audio processing in this player will blow away that in your Sony Home Theater in a Box, but keep in mind that they've invested in extremely capable speakers and projection to boot.

The best DVD system I've ever seen had a Denon DVD-2930CI ($1,000) outputting 480i via HDMI to a DVDO iScan VP50 outboard video processor ($2,500), upconverting to 1080p, feeding a JVC D-ILA 1080p projector onto a 130" projection screen. Absolutely stunning, you'd immediately understand why this system is superior to a run-of-the-mill DVD Player.

From my experience with audio and video processing, a $2000+ DVD Player is only perhaps 10-20% better than a $200 DVD player. But for some this price is justifiable. Does it rival Blu-Ray? That's not the right question to ask. If you are looking for a film-like experience and want to make the most out of your existing question (or don't want to invest in a new format), then there no question I would pick the Denon / DVDO system above over any Blu-Ray Player, even for lack of resolution.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
unclepercy said:
What can a Kaleidescape KPlayer-6000 do that my new Sony DAV-HDX576WF can't do?
There is one capability not a single player but the Kaleidescape has: legitimately (!!!) storing DVDs on the hard drive.
In every other respect it is nothing but a fine tuned HTPC in a pretty box with automated ripping, IMDB-type download of
customized cover art as well as a fancy front end and all calibration and codec chores taken care of by the manufacturer.

With a properly set up HTPC and a video browser like this you are very close for 1/10th the price

I think it will be the last in its class.
No one has or will ever get a similar license and even Kaleidescape won't have it for Blu-ray.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts