On August 5 th 2016, K-Mobile, a new Canadian mobile retailer, opened its first store. The launch, which took place at the flagship store in East York Town Centre, had Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne in attendance as the company celebrates the beginning of 250 stores set to be opened across Ontario.

K-Mobile is being described as a “one-stop experience, offering service plans, smartphones and accessories with no pressure or gimmicks.”

The company has signed up with Koodo and Virgin Mobile as a “multi-carrier,” and is a retailer that distributes plans from a variety of carriers, similar to the products and services provided by Wireless Wave or Tbooth, which are owned by Bell and Rogers .

To start, K-Mobile is selling a new smartphone called the K2, which is retailing for $299.

According to a report on mobilesyrup.com, the phone features an octa-core 1.7GHz MediaTek MT6592 processor, 2GB of RAM and a 13 megapixel rear-facing camera capable of 1080p video recording.

It comes with a handset with two SIM card slots, a 2,350 mAh battery and a 5-inch 1280 x 720 pixel display, and runs Android 4.4.2.

Adding to the festival spirit at the company’s launch, K-Mobile has announced that it will be employing 100 Syrian refugees once the company expands to 250 stores across the Greater Toronto Area.

"After working in mobile industry for almost two decades and listening to customers, I knew that they wanted a better one-stop shop experience when mobile shopping.

I'm proud that we will be expanding our stores as well as hiring and training 1,000 employees including 100 Syrian refugees," said K-Mobile CEO, Shami Muir.

"I believe these newcomers will be some of the hardworking employees we will have, and meaningful employment is essential for their settlement success."

"My dream has always been to develop an astonishing smart phone without a heavy price tag," Munir added. "I'm proud to announce the K2 has fulfilled that dream.”

For more information on the K2 smartphone and available services, visit www.k-mobile.ca .