Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just bought the JVC AV-30W585 30in. i Art
Will be picking it up this week, and wondered if anyone had any opinions on it...
Also wondering about the best way to hook it up.
There's the TV, a DVD Home Theatre, an analog VCR, and they are all coming from a
Shaw Motorola DCT2500 Digital Cable Receiver...
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No help apparently

So there's not much interest on this one... :rolleyes:
I don't wonder as I'm having trouble locating the model itself on different websites.
I doesn't show on the .com JVC site, but it does on the .ca , indicating that it may be a Canuck model...Seems like a good one though from what I've gathered so far..
Anyone know of a good website for wiring hookups for these things...D

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I recommend for hookup help you check out the HT FAQ forum. 57 has put together some good information regarding how to hook things up.

Hookup questions are pretty common so I recommend a search on all forums especially the Shaw, Home theatre corner and HDTV forums and you'll find lots of posts.

The best information, of course, is your manuals. They typically have wiring diagrams that discuss all the different possibilities with your equipment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dave I just sent you private message on a related question about your purchase.

Take Hugh's advice and read the connections faq. A lot depends on what the connectivity of you're other devices is.

I would tend to split the cable before your Cable Box.

1 Lead then goes to VCR which then goes to either your RF or Composite connections on the TV - this way VCR can tune standard analog offerings.

1 Lead goes to Cable Box which then uses S-Video if you have it to go to TV.

DVD use HDMI/DVI if you have it, but otherwise component.

I just bought one of these sets but found it difficult to get a hold of. Alas I immediately had a warranty issue which is in the process of getting resolved. I _should_ have taken it back to Point of Sale as it was in the first 48 hours but I had such a hard time tracking one down I assumed that replacement was going to be a no go.....grrrrrrrrr. In retrospect that was a foolish move. While the set was functioning I was very happy with it's stretch modes. upscaling DVD player and HD Cable was very nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both

Many Thanks, Hugh, for pointing me to the proper Faqs, good stuff..

Zancid 1...Thanks to you also... I hope you get the problem fixed OK. I haven't taken delivery yet of my set, should be in the next 1 or 2 days, from F/S...
I'll be sure to post how I make out with it...
One thing I'm comfortable with, is if anything does go wrong, I know I'll have no problems with F/S...
I think I'd exchange it for the Toshiba 30HF84, which I was also looking at. trouble is they had none of them also and would have taken longer to order one in...
These direct View CRT's seem to be selling like hotcakes around here...
Thanks again...This is a great Site for help...D :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
FutureShop...damn....I searched high and low, watched the big store sites for weeks, when I was looking for this set. I've never seen the 585 at FS...that would have been nice. I had also been looking for the Tosh HFX85...no luck, called every listed Tosh dealer and no were left except 2 floor models which I checked out to have August build dates and poor geometry. Toshiba said that that model was finished and wait until mid-april for new models.....

Count yourself lucky I would say.

[EDIT]

Off I went to FS site and low and behold here is that set....I swear they did not have it listed a few weeks ago....rather dissappointing that I'd have rather bought something like this from them.

[/EDIT]
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally arrived...

Hi again guys... My JVC AV-30W585 finally came in to F/S so I picked it up today, it's a real beaut.
Zancid, I don't know if they ever had many in their stores at all, I just noticed it about two weeks ago on their W/Site, but when I went to the store, of course they had none...
I just got lucky as the S/M found one in their Warehouse...S--- house luck I guess.
Will set it up tomorrow...D :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea I'm sure it wasn't on the web site. I may not have hit the "show more results" in their idiotic truncated search results page but for sure I would to go show all 30'-39" tv's on the side bar and that JVC was NOT the first set as it is now...

Anyhow have fun...you'll like it...would you mind checking the back and letting me know what the build date is from the sticker.

Cheers

Z

·
Banned
22 Posts
I am considering the JVC AV-30W585, I'll prolly get "The Brick" to price beat futureshops $999.99 cause they seem to be the only other store to carry them (i talked ot a Visions manager and he said he was trying to get them in but they JVC keeps saying, "In a few weeks they'll send some out" but i guesss he asked that like 2months ago :p ) anyhoo, The Brick said they would price beat, but here comes my question, I have yet to see a display model, so does anyone have anny experience with this TV, I'll be hooking up my Shaw DCT6200 through DVI-HDMI, and my PS2 through component, my gamecube through component, and my xbox through component as well (my amp will work as a hub for 2 of the systems) (this is how i have it hooked up to my Toshiba 26HF84 in my room) this TV looks really stylish, and I'm hopin it has the picture quality and reliability to boot

Is there any other HD tv's in this price range (give or take $200 on $1000) lookin for a set between 30'-34', but i feel quite set on gettin the JVC if I can get some good words on it hopefully :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
KraZY:

Despite my current issue with my set JVC has decent reliability, and the reviews - of which there not many - for this set are generally good. JVC is, in my mind, a little unsung and as they don't have high volume compared to the likes of Toshiba and Sony they are leaders in HD Camera's and professional AV gear + have had things like those awesome D-ILA projectors for a long time.

I can't truly compare visually as any in store comparison is worthless but I found my set to handle HD very very nicely and a decent SD source was surprisingly pleasent even when stretched - not as nice as the Toshiba stretch mode but still very nice. I am not, and don't think you will be, dissappointed.

Wait until Dave C emerges with his personal review.

That being said I think getting this set will be a bit challenging. When I was looking to get mine (before F/S had them) I had gone to The Brick, they will price match anything advertised to my experience, but they only had 1 floor model left and were insructed that more were not to be ordered. In fact I wa amazed at F/S suddenly having them as I had called JVC Canada directly and was told that the 585 was not going to continued as the 585 and that new sets were coming out in the summer.

The only other sets I know of in this range assuming you set 30" to be the smallest you want are the:

Panasonic - not great reviews and all silver

Tosh HF84 - reviews say if you get a good one you'll be happy but be sure to get some a place with good return as they are known to have poor geometry etc.

Tos HFX84 same as HF but with wider band amp....I tried to get one of these....Tosh considers them finished and to look for 05 models. I could only find display sets in Ontario. Nice look set's tho' ie. nice tight front face and charcoal in color.

Sony HS420 - more expensive, and in my mind UGLY and all Silver

Z

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dave C

Hope you enjoy your new set up. Once you have a chance to have a good view of the JVC AV-30W585 I'd appreciate your view on it. I just stumbled across it on FS website and am interested. Unfortunately now FS within 100 miles of me has one. Hopefully they'll have one at least on display soon.

Best of Luck and Enjoy!

Swiftfoot

·
Registered
2 Posts
comparison

I am really interested in your decision to choose a 30" JVC over the 34" Toshiba hf85, Dave. I am looking at both and since they are the same price but at different stores it is a bit difficult to compare. Is it just a brand preference or there a significant difference between them?
I am not familiar with HD yet so any advice would be great.
Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts