Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I have a Rogers SA8300HD PVR and a Samsung LN40A750 LCD TV. When I first got these, in this forum 57 said: "I recommend that you activate 480i Standard, 720P and 1080i". So, that's what I did.

Last night I was watching TCM (Turner Classic Movies) HD channel. It was a foreign film with English subtitles. The bottom subtitle line was chopped off. Using the Samsung's Tools menu, I changed Picure Size from "16:9" to "Just Scan". "Just Scan" showed a little more of the picture, so instead of chopping off the bottom subtitle line, now just the bottom half of that last line was chopped, so at least it was readable.

Should I leave the TV set to "Just Scan"? What are pros and cons of this setting versus returning to my previous setting of 16:9 ?

Thanks for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Here's the FAQ with your answers regarding pros/cons of using 0% overscan:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=793236#post793236

TCM may have done something wrong with the movie, or perhaps you've enabled the stretch/zoom mode on the STB by pressing the # button on the Rogers remote. Press the # button repeatedly to get back to "normal".

Also, I now don't mind if people use 1080i Fixed since the upconversion done by the STB doesn't seem to adversely affect the picture quality, it eliminates a few problems and also has less overscan. (The SA FAQ and the upconversion FAQ were modified to reflect this - mostly since the latest Rogers firmware update) I run this way myself now.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the prompt reply.

TCM may have done something wrong with the movie, or perhaps you've enabled the stretch/zoom mode on the STB by pressing the # button on the Rogers remote. Press the # button repeatedly to get back to "normal".
The Rogers zoom was at the normal setting, so I guess it was a TCM error. Odd that they ran the entire film without anyone noticing and correcting it.

Also, I now don't mind if people use 1080i Fixed since the upconversion done by the STB doesn't seem to adversely affect the picture quality, it eliminates a few problems and also has less overscan. (The SA FAQ and the upconversion FAQ were modified to reflect this - mostly since the latest Rogers firmware update) I run this way myself now.
Interesting. Should I change my PVR setup to that, or will it not make any difference versus what I already have setup?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
It's easy to experiment. Change to a 1080i channel, go to "set picture format" and choose "fixed". See if you like it. If not, simply go back to Auto-HDMI.

I can't recall if you stretch your SD channels using the TV stretch mode. If you do, then this will negate that automatic functionality. If you use "Fixed" I also recommend setting the borders to "dark" in the Rogers STB settings, so that anything outside the the 4:3 SD image is black instead of grey, since it's less distracting.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the follow-up. I appreciate your expertise.

No, I don't stretch my SD programming.

Can you please remind me where to find "set picture format"? It's been a long time since I did any setup.

The borders around SD programming look pretty black, so perhaps I set that back when I configured all of this. They're definitely not the grey that I've seen on some friends' sets.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
just scan is your tv's way of having 1:1 pixel mapping, with no overscan.
most tv broadcasts do not show important content outside of the safe zone, so i would not worry about that. you might also see some squiggely lines on the top of some channels or programs if you leave it as just scan, those are the Vertical Blanking Interval of the frames, thats where the closed caption data and what not is hidden in. dont be alarmed, most ppl just go to 16:9 to hide it if it bothers them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts