Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to replace my old Sony AVR for a while.I was given some gift cards for my birthday,so off to the store I went.I wanted a 5063 originally,but i wasn't on sale,and I was impatient! After some negotiation,I bought the 4063 for just under $400.
I set it up yesterday.It's a nice improvement over the Sony.I haven't had much time to play yet.I can finally enjoy true 5.1 sound,and it's impressive !
This is my first Yamaha product.
I wish the manual was printed instead of CD-ROM form.I guess I'll print it myself.My PC is in a different room,so I'm going back and forth trying to figure out all the settings.

Once I can play a little , I'll update this post.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update : I noticed today that the 4063 went on sale for less at another BB store,so I went back to FS and got a $50 refund ! :cool: .

The bad news : My sub started buzzing loudly this afternoon,so I guess it needs replacing.I bought it used ,so I'm not too suprised.Perhaps the new AVR was too much for it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Initial thoughts : Physical set up straight forward.I was a little disappointed I couldn't run my Wii via component (should have checked that ). This is my first Yamaha product and I'm finding programming isn't very user friendly,and the remote a little confusing. I can now control the BD player and TV via the remote.I've named 2 HDMI inputs , but I'm having problems programing the SCENE controls.I'm going to read the instructions thoroughly and figure them out. When I have some free time , I'm going to play some more.
I'm very happy with the sound . It's a good match to the rest of my HT equipment.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase from me as well. I thinks all of this new stuff these takes allot of reading to figure out. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was a little disappointed I couldn't run my Wii via component
Yes you can. Run your component to AV1 (or AV2), and your audio to AUDIO 1. Select AUdio 1 as your source, then press OPTION button on remote. Change video feed to AV1. Done. :)
I'm having problems programing the SCENE controls
They are shortcuts essentially. What you do is program each of your inputs with a sound field, for example, for Blu-Ray you might choose "Sci-Fi". Once you have it setup they way you would like it to come on each time you select it, press and HOLD any Scene button to "copy" it there. Now, with the AVR off, all you do is press a Scene button to power the unit on, and also go to that input and sound field.

For me, I use Neo6:Music for Wii since it is a very subdued (volume-wise) sound field...reason being that I always find the Wii to be much louder than my other devices, even with the volume trim minimized for it. That's just an example.

EDIT: Your model may be able to select the Audio source instead, which is the reverse of what I said above...so basically, yours mights be able to select AV1 as the source, and change the AUDIO source to AUDIO 1 in the option menu.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Caper ,

Thanks for your help !
I'll go and play.. :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've connected the Wii. I have audio , but no video. Any suggestions ??

·
Registered
226 Posts
see above....you have to share 2 input devices (audio and video) since the Wii has component video and analog audio and the Yamaha does not have a combined input for it. Press option and assign the correct audio or video feed.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to link the video/audio , but no video seen.I wasn't able to play after that because the DW's show came on. I'll play some more when I get the chance.
Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
226 Posts
The inputs are named on the back of the AVR. Make sure you assign the one that your video (OR AUDIO) is plugged into. In a nut shell, you are sharing one of the AV1-6 inputs and one of the AUDIO1-2 inputs.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure I had the inputs set up correctly. I'll play again when I get home.The wife's show was starting and I was rushing to get the Wii set up.
Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for posting - I am very close to picking one of these up as well. Looks like it's the best deal for 4 HDMI inputs on a budget.

I finally will be able to connect my HTPC, BD Player, Xbox360 and HD DVD (don't bug me) all into one place! No more strings of Toslink and component video going this way and that.

I also have a Wii but that can do with the ol' composite cords.

If I had the space I'd even throw the Laserdisc onto it - the kids love seeing me pull out those giant silver discs...:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just did some more reading of the manual. While the 5063 will upconvert signals , the 4063 is just repeating. So Component inputs need a Component output to the TV. This means if I run the Wii though the AVR via component , I will also have to add Component cables out from the AVR to the TV.
I will get better sound,but also need more cables . Hmmm...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
One thing I forgot to do : Change the BD player output from 2ch (old AVR) to HDMI !
I wondered why the AVR only displayed DD instead of DTS-MA etc ..

Now I'm just waiting for a good Subwoofer sale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts