Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just purchased the Panasonic TCP46G25, and I wanted to get some basic info/opinions on the settings. This is my first plasma (it's replacing an old CRT Toshiba Cinema Series 42HDX (or something similar to that name), and I'm hoping to get a little help for some basic set-up.

I'v reduced the brightness/contrast, etc. to 50, in an effort to get it out of "Torch Mode," but I was curious about a few other things:

What does THX mode offer? I notice the picture is a little smaller in this mode (maybe due to less overscanning - not sure), but I'm not sure what t's optimized for, exactly.

Is sharpness something I should also reduce? I think it was set to 75 out of the box, which I assume is too high, but I'm not quite sure with this should be, or what may be harmful in the long run.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
144 Posts
THX mode by default will give 0% overscan to show full picture area and eliminate scaling artefacts. Thankfully, this year it is adjustable because some cable boxes have the dreaded green line...

THX mode:
- approx. 30fL @ 100% white (window)
- approx. correct for primary & secondary colours
- grayscale in warm2 between 5900K-6900K
- all other enhancements turned off by default

yes, keep your sharpness all the way down unless you like false/enhanced edges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, 57. I've been perusing them, and just though i'd ask some Panasonic-specific question, although they don't seem so necessary now.

WOuld anyone know how to access some of the advanced picture controls? When I go to Menu>Picture?Advanced Settings, the options for things like 3:2 pulldown, etc. are greyed out and not accessible. I assumes it because of some other setting, somewhere. but I'm having trouble locating it in the menu or in the manual.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THX mode by default will give 0% overscan to show full picture area and eliminate scaling artefacts. Thankfully, this year it is adjustable because some cable boxes have the dreaded green line...

THX mode:
- approx. 30fL @ 100% white (window)
- approx. correct for primary & secondary colours
- grayscale in warm2 between 5900K-6900K
- all other enhancements turned off by default

yes, keep your sharpness all the way down unless you like false/enhanced edges.
Cool, thanks!

So, does this mean that THX mode sets the TV to warm2, or that i should set it to warm2 to get the best result with THX mode?

Ugh, I feel like such a newbie - been a while!

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
WOuld anyone know how to access some of the advanced picture controls?
As indicated in the optimization FAQ, you need to go to the correct picture mode before you can access these settings. In the Panasonics, the best option is usually Custom or THX.

Attempting to optimize the TV in any of the other picture modes is usually a waste of time because of the limitations set by those modes (items greyed out, or limited selection.)

If you don't have any test patterns, the best option may simply be to use the presets in one of the modes I mention (Custom or THX). The Vivid mode is obviously incorrect. The Standard mode is usually too cool and the movie mode is usually too dark, especially if you watch occasionally in an undarkened room. The Sharpness setting can be turned down a lot if the default is 50-75. Usually you can turn it down to 10 or below on a scale of 0-100. I've found that a zero setting can sometimes make the picture too soft, depending on the TV.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

THX mode uses Warm2 by default but one can change that manually if desired to something more blue.

Please note that the THX mode is designed for the reference viewing environment so that is a dark room. No lights turned on ... maybe except a back light behind the TV. It is not designed for rooms with lots of ambient light ...

If you want to watch the tv in the day time in a sun drenched room, or at night with many lights turned on ... the THX mode is the wrong mode to pick. Custom or Standard is a better choice and go with a color temp of Warm 2 still.

regards

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I'm pretty sure my G25 was set to warm1 by default in THX mode... anyway 'Amistad' on DVD last night (with minimal room lighting) looked stunning.

THX mode is for sure designed for controlled room light viewing, most of the shadow detail is lost in a bright environment... but with the light low, it is amazing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 46G25 also. I performed an ISF-like calibration (I used HCFR and a DTP-94 colorimeter for readings and made adjustments via the service menu). I found THX with brightness/contrast in the 50-60 range to be very close to calibrated and very little adjustment was necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts