Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN takes almost all thier shows 30 for 30, Around the Horn, PTI, E60, NFL Primetime, MNF, Rome is Burning, Poker, Tennis, Golf etc etc. Now with Sports Centre being 1 hour they have lead in with the Leafs twice that I know of Darcy Tucker retireing and Kadri being sent down to the Marlies great nationl leadins . I want more NCAA games/shows and ESPN mon/wed baseball. All TSN does is hockey and hockey shows mostly about the leafs.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The reason that Mon/Wed Night Baseball isn't on in Canada has nothing to do with TSN, its because Sportsnet has the Canadian rights. I guarantee you that if TSN/TSN2 had Canadian MLB rights then those games would be available in Canada. Also even if ESPN were available in Canada, Sportsnet would still have MLB rights and Mon/Wed Night Baseball would be blacked out.

There are a few million of us that would miss CFL and NHL coverage if ESPN replaced TSN.

What do you expect TSN to lead a 6pm Tuesday edition of SportsCentre with on a night when there are no actual sports events in ANY sport?

Hockey gets ~1 million viewers per game on TSN, more on CBC. The Olympic hockey final was watched by almost 20 million last year. The CFL is the only other sport that gets 1 million viewers consistently. I'd be shocked if NCAA football on The Score got 50, 000. It makes economical sense to air what the majority wants, and there is no question that the majority wants hockey and football (NFL and CFL) in Canada.

Also it would make no economical sense for TSN to just decide to shut down and let ESPN in for free. I think that TSN makes the most money of any specialty channel (it may be 2nd to Sportsnet, I'm not certain). Why would CTVglobemedia ever decide to just shut a money making channel down because a select few people want more college football.

Finally, the MLB games are available on Extra Innings (and in French on RDS) and the NCAA football games are available on the Super Sports Pak and Bell's NCAA package. So its not like these games aren't available. And between Sportsnet and TSN2 we get more MLB games per week than most US viewers do between their regional sports network, ESPN, TBS and MLB Network.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TSN's lead in should have been about the MLB playoffs not the TML sending a guy to the minors. RSN is fine with taking FSN games so maybe SN1 could take mon/wed ESPN baseball. My point is/was add ESPN to our cable package. Make TSN produce something of quality or just tell the rest of us what we already know it's the TORONTO SPORTS NETWORK

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I wish that Sportsnet One would take the ESPN feeds too, but Rogers avoids it because they don't like to use ESPN branded programming.

I think that TSN does produce quality programming, their NHL coverage is first class, as is their CFL programming. Every network made the Kadri thing bigger than it was, I was sick of it by this evening too.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Who wants to bet the Toronto Raptors - Phoenix Suns game in Vancouver tomorrow will get little-to-zero coverage on any Canadian sports channel? :D
On the slim chance they do, look for me on TV!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Who wants to bet the Toronto Raptors - Phoenix Suns game in Vancouver tomorrow will get little-to-zero coverage on any Canadian sports channel? :D
On the slim chance they do, look for me on TV!!!
Its on TSN - 10et

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes TSN does a 1st class job with NHL and CFL but after that what else do they do? OTR not a bad show, now these cheesy top 10 shows, The Reporters ESPN rip off fine with that, still not a bad show. anything else?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Its on TSN - 10et
WHAT?! Wow, that's a shock. I honestly can't believe that. Thanks for the info :)

OK, well here's to betting it gets all of 60 seconds on SportsCentre that evening.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yes TSN does a 1st class job with NHL and CFL but after that what else do they do? OTR not a bad show, now these cheesy top 10 shows, The Reporters ESPN rip off fine with that, still not a bad show. anything else?
You just named off TSN's main programming. You want them to carry more ESPN coverage, but you also want more Canadian programming??? I don't get it.

You guys would find that ESPN SportsCenter goes way over the top with NBA and NFL highlights and talk too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does 11 straight episodes of Sports Centre count as their CDN programing? I want them to do a better job of covering CDN sports as a whole how bout a weekly hour long CFL show? How bout a weekly half hour show on CHL hockey? I want ESPN on my cable package. God forbid TSN make a few shows without the leafs.

·
Registered
938 Posts
ESPN Airs Sportscenter all morning too, plus, Rogers Sportsnet holds the cards for CHL content, and there is usually a couple 30 minute pregame shows before CFL games each week. Not to mention all the curling/Raptors/ hockey canada events. Their schedule can get pretty full.

·
Banned
310 Posts
I'm wondering if you've actually spent time in the US watching ESPN.

It's way too much college sports and NBA stuff for my tastes. There's nothing on there that makes me want to pay for it. I'll take TSN with their CFL and NHL coverage even if they do way too much stuff on the Leafs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The only program i might have any interest in a network up here picking up is probably Baseball Tonight, but even then it's only a matter of time before the MLB network is liscened up here by the CRTC.

I think people look at ESPN with rose colored glasses and forget how much of a monopoly Disney and ESPN have created on the sports television market in the states. ESPN has become a self absorbed, arrogant brand which promotes everything that's currently wrong with sports in 2010. Overkill doesn't even describe the way they cover athletes and team's like USC, the Cowboys, Lebron James, Brett Favre, the list goes on. There programs are hosted by blowhards like Colin Cowherd, people who value only there own opinions and hold inflated opinions of themselves.

Most, if not all of ESPN's major programs are picked up here in Canada by the trio of the Score, TSN and Sportsnet. If your upset that TSN hasn't picked up the TV simulcast of MIKE and MIKE in the morning, i don't know what to tell you. If you urn for more football coverage, subscribe to the NFL Network (despite it's horrible PQ) Basketball, NBA TV. Baseball is really the only neglected sport in terms of it's coverage in Canada but i think that will be rectified in time.

I'm aware of the irony of this considering my name but seriously, ESPN isn't as holy as people make it out to be in Canada. It's TSN except instead of beating hockey into the ground, ESPN does in everything else.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yep ESPN you put it perfectly. I'd hardly consider Mike & Mike high quality programming, but you can watch a live stream online if you want. I'm sure if TSN2 had more room for US content, then they'd air it, but they are restricted to x amount of hours, and Premier League, NHL, Sunday Night Baseball, NBA etc. are much higher demand programming than Mike & Mike. Besides, I really like SportsCentre Morning Rush. I watch it most mornings from 7:15-7:30am.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its not about Mike and Mike. If all TSN does is fill their lineup with ESPN programming then just give it to us do we need two TSN's airing their shows I dont think so, Im guessing its just cheaper than making your own shows. What if we had ESPN instead of TSN 2? Take last years Heisman award show and THE U we didn't get it in canada. THE U aired weeks later I watched both online

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is it really worth the cost to replace TSN 2 with ESPN only 2 years after introducing the channel and becoming one of the top digital channels in the country? Really, i don't understand why everyone so badly wants ESPN.

Alot of the live sporting events (Besides some NCAA football and basketball) would be blacked out because of pre existing deals TSN, Sportsnet and the Score have, most of the popular live programing airs here already in some form or another and the shows that don't, well simply don't for a reason. There's not interest in shows like Sportsnation, Outside the Lines(a show i enjoy but still) and NBA fastbreak to justify a complete rebranding of TSN 2 or a new digital channel to begin with.

And TSN's sced isn't simply filled with ESPN programing. The only ESPN programming the network airs off the top of my head is the following: The Reporters, NFL Primetime, Monday Night Football, Jim Rome is Burning, Around the Horn and PTI. the other that totals about 12 hours and 30 minutes a week so give me a break.

TSN 2 for what it is right now is a decent complimentary channel to TSN. And yes, i would much rather take the Versus NHL telecasts over terrible B and C level ESPN programing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts