Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty impressed so far. I had a 12" D-Box David 301 sub that I bought about 7 or 8 years ago at Costco and it's performed pretty well. The volume control was getting noisy though and figured I got my money out of it so did some research and went shopping. This thing is a bargoon for $349 bucks and I know it's been on sale before for only $299.

So far I'm pretty impressed by the Velodyne and it is noticeably superior to my old sub in almost every way. Guess I didn't know what I was missing! It has some serious thump but it's very smooth and the auto mic setup on my Pioneer VSX-9130TXH has tied it in nicely to my Energy 7.1 Take Classics. Receiver is set for 100Hz crossover and it blends in seamlessly now with the Energy speakers whereas I used to have a bit of a "hole" in the sound previously with my old sub. I'm also going to try a 150Hz crossover and see how that sounds later.

One thing I'm really liking is the remote control. It has 4 preset's for different listening and it's actually pretty useful. I can flatten out the sound when I'm listening to music or punch up some quick thump for movies with a button press. It really does work pretty well. I'm not so keen on the digital volume control but I can live with it. It has buttons for volume up or down and then uses a sequence of LED flashes to show you where the level is. I'd rather have a normal rotary knob though but then again, no pots to get dirty and noisy either.

Does anyone know anything about this sub or any opinions on it? User reviews on the FS website all seem pretty positive. I can't find much info on the web and it's not listed on the Velodyne website. I'm guessing it's a big box store specific version to hit a price point. I found one post that indicated it was pretty much the same unit as the DLS-4000R which is more than double the price. The specs seem virtually identical but I noticed the VDR-12 doesn't have a rear heatsink for the amp and the 4000 does have a heatsink. Not sure if that's a big deal or not. Both are rated for 200 watts (400 watts peak) and flat down to 25Hz with full DSP processing.

Anyways, just posting my initial opinion of this bad boy and I'll have to throw a lot of material at it over the next week or so to see if it does what I need. Pretty sure it will be a keeper though based on initial experience and can't complain about the price. I'll try to auto-tune it again once I have it broken in a bit and see how much I can tweak it up. Cheers!

James

·
Registered
327 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your new Velodyne - welcome to the club!

I got the big bad boy 15" Velodyne DLS-5000R from FutureShop last July for $479 (and free shipping... thank god!) during their Canada Day sale which was less than half off the $999 regular price.

I'm very happy with it. It replaces a 12" Energy ES-12 subwoofer which served me well for over 10 years. I just wanted a little more oomph! now that I've moved into a large home with a big man cave and 120" projection theatre. Of course this new sub nearly destroys my house if I'm not careful with the SPL; 1.2 kilowatts of bass power will tend to do that.

I just happened to snap a photo of the two subs -old and new - when the Velo arrived...

One note about your sub - it actually caught my eye the other day on the FutureShop website because they had it listed for $1299! I suspected something fishy was up with that price though and they lowered it the next day.

You may already be aware, but I've found the "Waterfalls" thread over at the AVS Forums particularly interesting as they show the bass intensity for various movies. (I would link to it but apparently that's some weird no-no in these parts so just google "avsforum waterfalls")

War of the Worlds is generally regarded as one of the most bass-intense movies out there. Here's the waterfall for a bass heavy clip from it (time on y axis, bass extension and intensity on x axis):

Enjoy your new found low-hertz.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to being a Velodyne guy! I looked at the 15" but just a little too much for our living space. Looks sweet though! My wife was watching a dancing movie tonight with a lot of Hip Hop tracks and even being in another room I can definitely hear the difference from my old sub. Night and day difference and I've barely started tweaking it yet! I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I have War of the Worlds so I'll give that a test run. Man, it really does blend in nicely with my Energy speakers. Cheers!

James

·
Registered
327 Posts
I get in trouble with my wife because my 15" Velo has a tendency of knocking pictures and other wall hangings off level throughout the house. My wife levels them after certain movie nights and I always hear about it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will want to go back to FutureShop for your price protection as your subwoofer is down to $299 again.
You sir are a saint! Thanks for the heads up and I will indeed be heading back for the price match. Mighty impressed so far with this beastie so it's stayin'. For $300 bucks this thing is a serious steal. Haven't knocked any pictures off the wall yet but then I haven't really cranked it yet either. Cheers and thanks again!

James

·
Registered
144 Posts
Velodyne subs disappeared in Canada?

I know Futureshop used to carry these subwoofers but now I checked no major retailer carry these subs anymore.. I have old JBL PB-10 and want to upgrade but these subs are no more available in any Canadian retailer..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Velodyne in Canada

try kevro.com
1-800-667-6065

they are supposed to be Canadian Distributor. Of could you could try to buy it from Velodyne and get it shipped here. But... I don't think you or your wallet could stand that much pain:eek:

Velodyne used to have some certified refurbs, but I don't know if Kevro has 'em or not. I was looking for a better sub to replace the Jensen sub I'd had
for many a year. Snagged a Paradigm PW 2500 for around $400 locally. The guy who was selling it told me why--it made the house rattle and shake too much. Works for me ! No remote, no flashy DSP programs. and of course it's front firing. Oh well-guess I'll have to learn to live with it..that'll be so hard ;)
I live in a 1300 Sq foot condo with lousy soundproofing so I don't dare turn it up all the way, at least not for more than 5 minutes

JB

·
Registered
107 Posts
I recommend getting yourselves a copy of REW- Room EQ Wizard to figure out where to position the sub in your room.

Moving a sub, even a couple of inches, can make a huge difference in effectiveness of the sub for your listening position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts