Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 12 of 1046 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Just got CC

Woke up at 6 am to find that my 530 had taken the CC code. I had BC code before and seemed to be having alot more lockups recently. I only had 45 minutes or so to play with CC but I wasn't able to make it crash. I did lots of pauses and jumps forward and back, while recording on the second tuner. While it is WAY to early to say if the machine is now more stable I'm pretty sure that if I had still had BC, with what I put it through, it would have locked up. Hopefully it will preform as well on a longer test. I didn't see any real difference in the guide or the interface from BC, however I'm sure there are some areas I didn't check out fully. Hopefully this is what we have been waiting for.

· Registered
436 Posts
Live TV Pause Observation

I have owned my 530 since July 05 and would never go back. I got and survied BC and now CC seems to be working well on my machine. I did notice one particular feature of the 530 that has not changed with CC. It's been with the machine from the start and I always ask about it when there is a SW upgrade,, but I'm starting to think it is not a bug, but simply the way the machine works. This concerns the jump-back that occurs when you pause live TV. The jump back is 25 to 30 seconds so you never really pause live tv, you simply jump back 25 to 30 seconds and sit paused at that point. After this did not change with CC I started to think about it and I realized that the amount of time for the jump back is roughly the same amount of time that has to pass before the pause feature will work after changing to a new channel. This seems to be a necassary delay that is required to get enough of a buffer in order for the machine to pause. I think that it is probably a design feature in that the hard drive cannot access stored data that is less then 30 seconds from real time. Thus the 30 second delay before the pause feature begins to work as well as the 30 sec "jump back" that occurs when the machine is asked to pause in real time are basically from the same cause. This is not a problem when playing a stored recording from the hard drive because a recording on the hard drive is a file that the machine can access any point within. This isn't a major problem with me, and I suspect it probably cannot be fixed,, but it is interesting that when people list some of their concerns the "jump back" action is one that does not seem to get mentioned. Do Bell and or TVO units do the same thing? Thanks

· Registered
436 Posts
125K 530 Owners?

Keane - While I don't have anything to back this up, 125K 530 owners seems high. I seem to recall that SC only has around 800K total subs. That would mean that more then 15% of SC subs have 530 receivers. With all the problems with the receiver, I can't see that they could have sold that many,, but I could be wrong. Others will probably comment on this. As far as your problems with the CC code most people are reporting that it is far more stable then any other version. I went from BC to CC 10 days ago. I did not do a factory reset nor did I erase any of my HD movies. I see that the factory reset seems to have helped your unit. Hopefully it will be stable now. I have used my unit normally during the last 10 days. I've recorded several movies, made timed recordings, watched a recording while it is still recording it (chase recording). I have also paused and reviewed live TV on many occations. So far my box has not needed one reset, with BC I would have had 2 or 3 lockups by now. If CC starts to act up on you again, perhaps you can do up the ladder at SC and get them to send you a different unit to try. Good luck.

· Registered
436 Posts
First Lock up with CC

Got CC back on July 19'th. Been very pleased with it. Had my first lock-up last night. I had just come out of watching a saved movie. I was looking for something to watch in real time and I ended up toggling between 2 Hi
Def channels using the Last Ch button trying to decide which one to watch. I went back and forth 2 or 3 times and finally the unit lost all video and sound. I could move to a new channel and the banner would show the channel info,, but I had nothing but a blank screen. Tried bringing up a saved movie to see if that would work. I was able to access the PVR screen and select and play a movie however it also had no sound or video. Went back to the guide, then it totally frooze and the unit stopped resounding to all remote functions. Front panel reboot time. I was thinking about asking how long people had gone without a reset with CC, I guess I made it 19 days.

· Registered
436 Posts
Lester - I think I would try to get SC to replace your 530. It sounds like your unit is crashing much more then it should. Is your 530 an early one? I've seen other posts that indicate that some of the pre-order units from May of 05 had more problems.

· Registered
436 Posts
Different Rev Levels ??

APR - You mentioned that your 530 had an early rev level. Is the rev level written on the MB? If it is what is your's? It would be interesting to see if certain rev's are having more problems then others. This might explain why some people have had fewer problems with CC and earlier versions. My machine which was purchased July 05 worked OK on BC and I have only had 1 reset since July 18 with CC. Sorry about your machine and thanks for all your helpful posts. While CC seems like the last straw for some people ( yourself possibly included) for me the 530 is my only option and I'm still happy with it,, but I feel like I am one of only a few.

· Registered
436 Posts
Timer Recordings

Just got back from 10 days of camping. Saw some posts about timers not working properly with CC. Went to may 530 to find that all of my timer recordings that I had sent while I was away (7 Leno's and a Formula 1 race) were all there. I also tested some of the problems that jaha reported such as pressing record while watching a show as well as pressing record while in the guide. I both instances the record icon was placed in the guide and a recording was made. My unit was good with BC and better with CC. I have had 3 reboots since CC and in all cases the unit lost audio. I know it is frustrating if your 530 is locking up and not functioning properly, but some people do appear to have stable machines. If I had a machine with repeatable lockups and broken recordings I would press them for a replacement unit.

· Registered
436 Posts
Me too

I've stopped coming here regularily because my 530 is stable and also there are very few threads about features, fixes and bugs. My 530 has had 3 reboots since getting CC code in July, and yes I've actually used it the whole time since the download. In the past when someone would ask if the 530 was now good enough to purchase I would tell them about my experience with it, however it seems that most only listen to the negative posters. I believe there is a silent majority of 530 users out there who like myself are having few problems with the unit and the are too busy watching TV. So once again, if you are thinking about getting a 530, get one from FS or BB, wait till you get CC before you judge it and be assured you can return it easily if you need to. I'm not trying to be a flag waver here but mine is working great and I'd never part with it.

· Registered
436 Posts
Re - Recorder Killer Bug

My 530 has been very solid with CC however I discovered a recorder kill bug over the weekend. I noticed the Victordc reported the same bug that I saw. Here are the specifics of my problem. I have a Mon-Fri timer set for Leno between 11:35 pm and 12:35 am. Last Thursday night I missed a prime time show (can't remember which one) but found it from a west coast feed starting at Midnight and running to 1:00. I just pressed record while I had it highlighted, got the record icon in the guide then went to bed. I had forgotten about the Leno timer however I did not get a timer conflict warning when I pushed the record button for the second show. The next night when I checked my recordings I was surprised to find that it had recorded 25 minutes of Leno, running from 11:35 to midnight. At midnight it stopped recording Leno, and started recording the second show,, however after 35 minutes or 12:35 it stopped recording the second show. It appears that it stopped at 12:35 because that was the time that the original Leno timer was set to stop. So I missed the last 25 minutes of the second show. In the DVR list both recording were shown and neither were shown as broken. Not thinking much more about this on Friday morning I went through the guide for the weekend and set it to record several programs as we were going camping for the weekend. Again record icons were put in the guide and I made sure there were no conflicts. When I returned home on Monday afternoon ready to watch some hockey I was surprised to discover that no recordings were made over the weekend. I tried making a recording on the spot and discovered that no recording function was happening. At this point I suspected that the timer conflict from Thursday night had killed the record function so I went and did a front panel reset, (my 4'th since July 19'th) and all is well again. So it appears it's a bug, however it's minor and now that I know about it I'll be more carefull with my timers and do a reset when I setup a timer conflict. Hope this helps.

· Registered
436 Posts
Recommended a 530

I have a friend who expressed interest in getting a 530 as a family Christmas gift, he had seen mine and asked me about how I liked it. I initially was a little reluctant to recommend it because this person has a very busy house and the unit would see lots of use. This person is also not a computer person and would not be patient with alot of freezes and lockups. I told him that I liked mine and would never be without one. I told him about some of the early software problems and told him that he should wait for the unit to update to the new code before he used it extensively. He decided to go ahead and purchase one. He had it installed about 2 weeks ago. The unit had the old A4 code and it froze up within the first hour of use. He phoned me alittle concerned about his decision. I told him how to do the front panel reboot, I then reminded him about waiting for the code to update. He got CC that night and the unit has been solid ever since. I stopped by yesterday and watched the Junior's with him, recorded from the morning. His record log is half full and he is using it everyday to record something. He and his wife have 4 teenagers in the house who are also using it heavily. So far the unit has not required any other reboots. I agree with Kevin that the FF/REW functions of the unit are weak, however the rest of the unit seems to be fine now and if it can survive in this busy household, it should be OK anywhere.

· Registered
436 Posts
530 No reset needed

Last night I tuned to a channel I don't subscribe to and it seemed to confuse my 530. When I tuned to another channel I got the channel banner, sound but no picture. I tried to access the DVR menu to call up a recording, however that menu never came up. At this point I lost the sound and no other function worked. Time for a reset, however the machine is not in the bedroom and I didn't feel like going downstairs to hold the power button for 7 seconds so I turned the TV off and retired for the night. This morning when I turned on the TV to catch the news I was surprised to find it working with both picture and sound. It looks like it got itself together during the night. Normally I wouldn't leave it in a froozen state but it does appear that sometimes they will come back on their own if you simply wait.

1 - 12 of 1046 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.