Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five-disc boxed set:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...95667/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/701-7487523-5634765

This set is attractive -- first of all, you get a couple of Hitchcock's best pictures, VERTIGO and REAR WINDOW. Then you get HARVEY, a smart Capra-esque comedy with a message, and WINCHESTER '73, a highly regarded gritty Western from the fifties. Lastly, DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, perhaps the weakest entry in the set, though still highly watchable, as young lawman Jimmy falls for dance hall floozy, Marlene Dietrich. All in all, a real bargain at 50 bucks.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yer welcome. Amazon lists the two Hitchcock movies separately at over $20 each. Makes the other discs in the set almost seem like a bonus.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Yet another boxset coming out later in Canada than the US. Oh well, this is an easy decision. .com is slighly cheaper and it comes out 2 weeks earlier.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like Jimmy Stewarts movies. I wish "Who Shot Liberty Valance" was a part of this box set. Started watching this movie on TV the other day and had to go as I had a golf date set. Does anyone know if this movie is available?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
My favourite 2 are The Spirit of St. Louis / The Stratton Story. Both uplifting stories about the underdog succeding. Haven't seen all of them yet. Boxset shipped today, should be here Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A good backgrounder on Jimmy and The Spirit Of St.Louis; bit of a disaster at the boxoffice:
The director was unduly hard on himself when he characterized The Spirit Of St. Louis as a failure. Commercially, yes (in spades), but it’s still a fine movie for all of that, and perhaps on DVD, it will finally get the audience it deserves.
http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/ (Mon. Aug.14 entry)

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
From today's USAT:

The Spirit of St. Louis
1957, Warner, unrated, $20

Now that a quarter-century of revisionist criticism has resuscitated 1964's Kiss Me, Stupid, this is probably Billy Wilder's most underrated film and definitely his most uncharacteristic.

Back story: This expensive 21/4-hour epic, adapted from Charles Lindbergh's Pulitzer Prize-winning book, was one of Warner's top money losers of the '50s. But it's a model of how to propel and sustain pacing in a claustrophobic screen setting — and of how a single actor (though it helps that it's James Stewart) can carry most of a movie by himself. Stewart is twice as old here as Lindbergh was when he made the legendary 1927 New York-Paris flight, but you'd never know it. The tense takeoff scene in the rain is a classic, and so is Franz Waxman's score.

Extras, extras: Footage from the premiere; cartoon; Joe McDoakes comedy short.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Ok, finished all 6 movies over the weekend. 3 great movies(The FBI Story / The Spirit of St. Louis / The Stratton Story), 2 average movies (The Cheyenne Social Club / Firecreek) and 1 below average movie (The Naked Spur).

Naked Spur is a 4x3 colour movie that probably would have been better if it was in B&W and contained noirish elements. By normal standards, its an average movie but considering this is a Signature Collection and it also features Robert Ryan, it's a disappointment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts