Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got Optik, can I use my own modem/router?

This question is being asked more and more on various threads of this forum.

I have mentioned to several members in many posts that various re-configurations of the TELUS installed equipment are not supported. Many are still puzzled as to why they can't do certain things in the way they choose, some have stated they have done these types of re-configurations and everything turned out fine.

I don't say things are not supported to be difficult and I don’t say it to be here as some sort of TELUS spokesperson, BECAUSE I AM NOT.

What I am as stated in every post is a TELUS tech, who on his own time participates in this forum to join the discussion, help where I can, and learn about the many subjects of interest to me on this forum.

Just so EVERYONE understands where I get "that's not supported" I feel it would be best to post a link to the current TELUS Terms of Service for Optik TV. I would especially recommend reading Part 2 YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES Section C - Acceptable Use, as I think it’s makes things pretty clear.

This link is TELUS and it does represent TELUS policy.

I do not but I'm happy to bring this important information to everyone’s attention.

Optik Terms Of Service

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Not Supported" and "Will not Work" are 2 different statements with different meanings.

I still would like to know, unsupported as it is, if a non-telus-branded Actiontec VDSL2 modem will work in place of the Telus modem, or if Telus actively prevents other products from working.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks for the post wiremonkey.

Your posts have been helpful and we appreciate when people from this company's give us insight and perspective.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're welcome Hugh. Thank you and the Admins and Mods for a very enjoyable well run, balanced forum.

MeestorX, sorry but I can't counsel or advise you to do something that isn't supported. Others may be willing, but I doubt any TELUS techs will. It simply isn't in our best interests to generate troubles or degrade customers services.

I still maintain that the ONLY configuration is your router behind the Actiontec, this is because it is the only configuration that is supported. I'm aware this is problematic for you, but I have no other advice to give.

Hope you understand.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
162 Posts
MeestorX, sorry but I can't counsel or advise you to do something that isn't supported. Others may be willing, but I doubt any TELUS techs will. It simply isn't in our best interests to generate troubles or degrade customers services.

I still maintain that the ONLY configuration is your router behind the Actiontec, this is because it is the only configuration that is supported. I'm aware this is problematic for you, but I have no other advice to give.

Hope you understand.

- another TELUS tech
I do understand, and I appreciate where you're coming from. If I were technical support for the product I would say the same thing.

My reply was not really for you, but anyone else reading the thread that may have ventured out and tried their own solutions. Perhaps someone has. The modems seem to be cheap enough (I saw them on the 'net for about $89) so I'll bet someone has tried it.

The only part of the post that maybe you can answer is whether or not Telus ACTIVELY prohibits other VDSL2 modems or somehow detects and allows only Telus-supplied modems to function on the line.

I thank you as well for your knowledge and insight.

-Andy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only way to find out if a non-Telus branded modem will work is to try one. In theory it should work but I've never seen anybody try.

The only two modems I've seen work on Telus VDSL are the Actiontec and ALU - both Telus branded and supplied, but the ALU is in very short supply these days.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TELUS can identify the brand of modem on your connection from their end, no visit required.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
4 Posts
dont' know if this fits in here or not, but i've got an apple time machine that i spent big money on to do the wi-fi in my house & also auto backups of my imac. I also use an airport express to make my older xbox "wireless". I just noticed that the optik service includes wifi already...is it still possible to use the time machine instead or is it going to be a nice expensive paperweight?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you still want to use your Time Capsule (Time Machine is the software), you'll need to connect it to the Actiontec and use it either in Bridge Mode (turn off DHCP), distribute a range of IP addresses, or you'll have to run it regularly (double NATed) and tell AirPort Utility to ignore the double NAT error.

If you choose to run it double NATed, any clients connected to the Actiontec will not be able to communicate with clients connected to the Time Capsule and vice versa.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dlink DRR-655

Figured this was the best thread to add this. I have a Dlink DRR-655 That I used as a previous router. Since the Optik setup I wanted meant the Actiontec had to go in my garage I decided to turn the DRR-655 into a simple access point. I used the instructions found on the following link:

http://blogs.oracle.com/simonthorpe/2009/06/configuring_a_dlink_dir_655_as.html

Worked perfect. Note though that the writer doesn't say to turn DNS off but shows in the screen shots it shows it is off. I did turn it off and everything works perfect.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am finally "hopefully" getting my original Alu DSL modem tomorrow. I and going back to run my setup with Optik with my Linksys WRT160n router. I'll put the PVR into DMZ like I did last time and worked flawless for couple of months, Till these last bad snow storms..

It's only when snow has hit. I have call tec, Then come out to check whats going on. They always blame my setup and replace the modem with D-Link or the Actiontec?
And Every time I tell them same thing . It worked fine before, flawless till the snow hit. It's outside the house issue.. They never listen. Only after 2-3 tech come. Finally one them finds problems on the outside box..

This is what I'm currently using and I'm not happy with it..
http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=191

It keeps D/c on me every few hours..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts