Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone is trying to sell you 4G wireless these days, don't believe them.
The truth is, neither WiMax nor LTE (Long-Term Evolution) qualify as 4G (fourth-generation) technologies, according to the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R). On Thursday, the group announced it had finished its assessment of submissions for the 4G standard, also called IMT-Advanced. Based on that group's decision, to really be selling 4G, carriers will have to get going with one of two future technologies, called LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced. The latter, also known as IEEE 802.16m, will form the basis of WiMax Release 2.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/4g-defined-wimax-and-lte-dont-qualify-683

At last, the "We offer 4G today!" hoodwinking of consumers can now stop.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
This has been going on forever. Technically EVDO isn't 3G as 3G requires simultaneous voice and data, but Sprint/Verizon has been calling it 3G for a long time now. I believe LTE is theoretically capable of the 4G speed requirements, but the initial implementations won't be.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it is what happens when the marketers overrule the engineers... :rolleyes:

As the article notes, 4G will include LTE-Advanced and WiMaxR2, so count on marketers to likely misuse those terms to confuse consumers even more with "4G" terms like "LTE*", which actually would say something in the fine print like "*refers to LTE-Advanced test environment in closed laboratory". Yes I'm a cynic because I've seen this name game going on for many years.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Don't you just love it, when marketing ignores reality? I've always considered LTE a step between 3G and 4G. I wonder how that Rogers 4G test in Ottawa stacks up in this regard?

4G info

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Marketing spin has always been a problem in mobile...but I don't think anybody really ever seriously considered EVDO to be 3G technology.

Sprint / Verizon said "it's 3G because it's the third generation of network we brought out", ignoring the state of the art.

·
Registered
103 Posts
LTE has been recognized as about a 3.9 step towards 4G. Any legit technical article written about LTE in the last many months has mentioned that LTE is NOT 4G because it does not meet all the of the IMT-Advanced requirements. The fact that LTE is part of the 3GPP program should be a tip-off. LTE Advanced IS a candidate for formal 4G approval.

But then again, the ITU governs specifications and standards not marketing.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I don't think anybody really ever seriously considered EVDO to be 3G technology.
Later next year, when Verizon implements SVDO allowing simultaneous voice and data on their existing CDMA network, it will qualify as 3G.

The reason they call it 3G is because it offers comparable data speeds to AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA networks. SVDO will make Verizon's CDMA network true 3G without changing data speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts