Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which to buy.
ITouch or IPad. I see both have their own Pros and cons but wonder if there are any helpful tips for me that I should watch out for

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Nothing to watch out for. Both excellent devices.

You don't say why you want to buy these devices. What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

If you stated why you want each device then it would be a lot easier to help you.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
If you need 3G then you have to go iPad, unless you want to go with the iPhone which is essentially a 3G iTouch with phone capabilities as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of portability for WiFi and access to web and emails.
Do not need phone capability. Like to have an Ereader.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Simple decision:

Going to carry it around wherever you go -> iPod Touch
Going to mainly use it at home/at friend's places -> iPad

I have both an iPad and iPhone - the iPad gets used heavily at home (the iPhone barely gets touched) and in some business meetings but I don't carry it around with me if I'm going out for a movie, dinner, shopping, sports, etc.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you consider the iPad portable (it is IMHO) then I'd go with that. I find the iPad Touch just far to small for my old eyes for use as an eReader. The iPad is a great eReader etc...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Like to have an Ereader.
Then iPad. You don't want to read magazines, newspapers, documents and books on the iPod touch screen.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
+1 Some of the iPad magazine apps are really gorgeous. Books and web articles (via the Instapaper app) can be read comfortably on the iPod Touch IMO. But keep in mind I started e-reading on a Palm IIIc.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As has been said, depends on how you want to use it. I have both and am overjoyed with both of them, particularly the iPad. I literally carry it around the house with me and find new ways to use it every week. The Touch goes out of the house; the Ipad rules the roost at home.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I probably use the iPad out of the house more than some of the other posters in this thread. I subscribe to a Wine Rating service so when I go to the liquour store to buy wine I take my iPad with my to look up the wines (note that this requires 3G). I also use some of the real-time traffic reporting services at times to avoid some of the highway congestion in Toronto. I use the iPad at work both for personal email and as an eReader and I also transfer some business documents to the iPad to facilitate reading when on planes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all very much.
Your replies gave me a good feel for how to make my choice . Guess I need both but then I have a lap top for home and as my wife says I can only have one or the other........... I will opt for the ITouch

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Why if you want an eReader?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I went through the iPad versus iPod Touch decision myself.

In the end... iPod Touch.

I felt there was more value in it for me, especially given its portability factor, still camera, video camera and mic; I always have it with me.

I also use the free NetTalk app extensively for free long distance phone calls over WiFi - it works very well.

And finally, for the price of one iPad - I was able to buy an iPod Touch for myself and my Mom who lives on the other side of the country; she loves it, particularly FaceTime.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Civuck, is Nettalk very different from Skype? Just wondering....
NetTalk is a free app for making free calls to regular phones numbers anywhere in the US/Canada.

The Skype app is free and lets you make free calls to other Skype users. However, you need to purchase Skype credits to make calls to regular phones numbers.

·
Registered
300 Posts
NetTalk is a free app for making free calls to regular phones numbers anywhere in the US/Canada.

The Skype app is free and lets you make free calls to other Skype users. However, you need to purchase Skype credits to make calls to regular phones numbers.
So NetTalk is not just long distance? So as long as you have wi-fi access, the iPad Touch would essentially be an iPhone?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
sure seems like it

I found the app thru this thread, and have been using it on my ipod touch for the last week or so

voice quality is pretty good,but there is noticable latency (but for free, it's pretty darn good)

·
Registered
327 Posts
voice quality is pretty good,but there is noticable latency (but for free, it's pretty darn good)
I haven't noticed any latency myself - or at least not yet.

And the people I've spoken with say the voice quality is actually very good - credit the iPod Touch mic I suppose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts