Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm itching for an upgrade. I haven't upgraded anything this year and usually I upgrade every year. It's not like I'm unhappy with any of my equipement. Just feel the want (not need) for upgrade.

My equipment list is as follows (and what I've tried to upgrade to -- but decided not to):

Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-25 (tried SC-37, not liking it at all)

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE300U (tried 4000U, but supposedly there is no difference in lightpath seal, so the chance of dust getting in is not going to be better anyway -- so no upgrade there)

CD player: Pioneer PD-D9J (tried Emotiva CD player, not liking it, tried Cambridge Audio 640c, not likiting it)

BD player: Pioneer BDP-23 (tried multiple BD players - especially for upscaling - other than BDP-09 which I used to have, nothing I like better)

VP: Denon DVP-602CI: it's already 2 years old, but I can't seem to find anything better for anything less than $3,000 and I'm unwilling to spend that kind of money to upscale cable's 720p to 1080p

Speakers: PSB Century 300i x4, PSB Image C5 centre, PSB SubSeries 300 sub

Dedicated/separate electrical circuit for A/V from the rest of the house with battery backup, hospital grade surge protector and AC filters.

Any idea what should I upgrade?

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is just my opinion but i prefer tower speakers as front ones . From the rest i think you are well served if you dont care much about 3D .

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would try adding a power amp which I don't see in your "tried it but not liking it" comment.

I'd probably skip all those power supplies, hospital grade, etc. and go back to trying different speakers (after trying the power amp).

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Do you have Faraday Cage shielding in the walls of your HT to eliminate external RF and EM interference? What is the climate control like - you don't have furnace vents in your HT do you? Have you isolated your HT from ambient house noise (water running in pipes, toilets flushing, floor creaks, etc.)? What about vibration isolation - do you feel large trucks go by? I don't see any OTA gear listed, so it seems to me you have the "top of the pyramid" problem in which your HT is not getting the best HD signal it can get on network and local programming. You didn't list your cables.

That list should keep your wallet busy for a year. BTW do you give tours?

·
Registered
96 Posts
More importantly what are you willing to spend.

Looking at your list if you want something that can improve your visuals & Sound I'd change the Blu Ray player and upgrade to the Oppo BDP-93

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

There is no argument this is the concensus best value player our there. Also you could free up room in your rack since it will double as your CD Player. It also is spectacular with Upscaling

However I think its obvious your addicted to the Pioneer brand and how much of your buying decision is brand?

Lex makes a great suggestion as well nothing will improve your sound more than buy adding in some extra power, drop another amp in the system and you will instantly notice some higher performance.

Or I might suggest go all out drop the Pioneer Reciever and go to an Anthem AVM50v2 or Even better the Anthem Statement without a doubt the best Canadian Built sound you will find anywhere.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
uh huh..this hobby is a drug for sure. but, if your like me .. don't drink, don't smoke (and yes, this includes no whacky baccy) .. than what is an HT geek
to do for a fix ? enjoy it while we can i figure .. :p

alot of good opinion/option offered up here, have you considered a dedicated 2 channel setup ? as it is quite obvious you have a smokin' (no pun intended) HT setup.

i'm sure the Oppo BDP93 ... may be on your short list. i recently purchased Focal Chorus speakers .. very nice, smooth. maybe Santa will bring you some new speakers ? : )

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
This is just my opinion but i prefer tower speakers as front ones.
Count me in on that. No bookshelf speaker can compare to a good floor standing tower, especially for music. Adding a high quality 2 or 3 channel amp to drive the front speakers might add to that.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys don't think tower speakers will be too large for my 16'x10' room? I'm thinking about getting PSB Image T6 but afraid they'll be too large.

As far as the Oppo 93, I already pre-ordered three of them to replace all of my BD players.

As far as Pioneer goes, for the past 20+ years I've been a Pioneer fan, but I'm not brand minded, if something else is better than I'll go with that. Hence I didn't use the Pioneer projector and will NEVER update my BD player with Pioneer (especially since now they are made by Sharp) and most probably won't upgrade with another Pioneer receiver since their MCACC this year is much worse than their previous year's MCACC.

In terms of HVAC, it's already separated from the rest of the house, just like the electricity in the HT.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You guys don't think tower speakers will be too large for my 16'x10' room?
That depends on the towers. We're not talking about massive sub replacements. Slim towers take up no more space than a bookshelf on a stand. They typically have better cabinet design and speaker arrangements than their bookshelf counterparts. I find that for the cost of a bookshelf and good stand vs a tower (costing not much more) from the same line, the tower wins hands down.

:flame retardant suit on: You might also want to try some of the "voodoo" audiophile stuff like bi-amping and bi-wiring. The science behind bi-amping (possibly using a high grade electronic crossover) is probably more sound that bi-wiring but both can make some subtle differences with the right source material and equipment. :flame retardant suit off and waiting for the cable quality deniers:

p.s. Yes I know that high end, overpriced audiophile cables are a scam but there are noticeable differences between cables when using high end equipment and analog. 25 cent/ft lamp cord just doesn't pass muster when connecting a $5,000 amp and $5,000 speakers.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no flamesuit required :D. I already use Ultralink Ambiance mkII cables for all-around. Yes, that's 45ft x2 for the rears and 12ft x3 for the fronts :D

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I like UltraLink cables as well. Probably overpriced but definitely high quality. I use solid conductor speaker cable to bi-wire the front speakers. It definitely made an improvement over the 20 year old lamp cord in use previously. ;)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what they use, I just go by my ears. Between a lamp-cord, generic 12 AWG wires and the Ultralink Ambiance mkII, I can hear the difference. So I settled with the Ultralink. I didn't pay retail either so I don't feel like I've been robbed either :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
without a visual from your room its hard to say but i went to the PBS site and the models from the Imagine T towers looks sweet , they say that in MTL sony stores carry them , even myself i`m going to check them out since its like 1 mile from my place .

·
Registered
96 Posts
David,

its obvious you don't mind spending cash on your gear, If you really want that next step I'd dump the Reciever and move to seperates. I'm an Anthem fan but either way moving to a processor and amps will move you into that next step or just start buying an amp or two and pre-out them from your pioneer and then next time around for upgrading your processor you can move to a dedicated surround processor.

Thats my best suggestion.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Stampeder, I know an Ultralink dealer whom I've been buying most of my gears from since 1992. The store owner always give me huge discounts on various brands (I usually pay regular wholesale + 5%)

@eXcessive, I actually currently love with the sound of my SC-25 even running 2-channel (maybe it's caused by my PD-D9J CD player). But I'm hearing good things about Anthem and Classe so maybe, if I can audition them (within the same store) I'll think about it.

@Almadacr, my room can be viewed here: http://acebydavidsusilo.webs.com The site is still in shambles and I haven't updated the photos, or gear list for quite a while, but it can give good-enough idea on the layout of the room, size, etc.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you are spending that much on a killer room and equipment, why not step up the speakers as well. Try out the PSB Synchrony's, Paradigm Signatures, or even B&W, DynAudio or Sonus Faber. Fairly expensive when you go a step above the Imagine's, but will probably bring about your greatest change other than going separates.

As for separates, there is always the Marantz av7005 mated with the mm8003 8ch. amp or the mm7055 5ch. and 7025 2ch. for a more flexible amp structure (better for 2 ch music I would imagine), or Onkyo separates that look promising as well. http://www.avguide.com/article/onkyo-announces-thx-certified-av-separates

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So true.

Those Century 300i I'm currently using in the entire house were from my recording-studio days. I used to use them for my final mix and I'm so very familiar with their neutrality. It's very difficult nowadays to find a store that has its own listening room.
I tried Synchrony and don't like the sound. B&W, don't like the sound. DynAudio, I actually like the sound but don't know where I can audition them (I listened to Dynaudio a long time ago in my colleague's recording studio, he exclusively use Dynaudio as his reference speakers).

But thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll start with upgrading my two fronts and match the rears too.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Has anyone suggested something yet that seems promising? I'm curious to see what happens because you sure have a system worth bragging about and spending a few days exploring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts