Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family has 4 lines with Freedom Mobile. My wife has a normal plan and the 3 kids have simple sms plans. Here is the breakdown

Wife - $40/mon - Sony Xperia

Kid #1 - $5/mon - Huawei U1250

Kid #2 - $5/mon - LG Nexus 5

Kid #3 - $5/mon - Huawei Nexus 6P

Up until mid March, all was working great. In Mid-March, the kids would drop cell service every minute or so and take about 10 minutes to re-acquire and then continue the cycle. They could never receive a call or place a call and SMS takes about 10 minutes to go through. We called Freedom and after basic troubleshooting they sent us to a store for new SIMs. That seemed to stabilize the dropping but the service remained the same. No calls and delayed SMS. I called back. They advised us they had a service issue and would look into it and call us back. No Call. Waited a month. Nothing. Called them back and after getting to level 1 support, they advised us there is still a service issue in our area. My wife's phone is working great this whole time. I decided to try some trouble shooting. Swapped the sim from Kid#1 and Wife phone. Now Kid#1 phone works (with Wife SIM) and the Wife Phone has the issue. I then took the phones to Brampton (work there) and same issue. We were in Kitchener last week... same issue there. We live in Mississauga.

I tried calling back yesterday and they would not let me go past level 1 support saying there is a service issue in my area. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Looks like there is a system wide issue with the SMS plans. Freedom probably messed it up and can't be bothered fixing it due to low per subscriber income. I would stop short of accusing them of intentionally messing up the SMS plans due to the low subscriber income involved. On the other hand, it will likely cause a lot of people to upgrade their plans. Most mobile companies wouldn't consider $5/mo worth the effort of even selling phone service. Bell went to great lengths to force me off my legacy $10/mo phone plan.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
No I don't. The phones and SIMS have been eliminated as the source of the issue. That leaves the phone network.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in case anyone has this issue... Called freedom asked ask them to repro vision on the account and do a signal refresh. This fixed my issues. Thank you for the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts