Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just bought a new LG 47lh30 LCD TV and it looks good to me. I used the picture wizard to set it up. I bought it at Future Shop and they included a free in home calibration of the tv. Is there any point in doing this? I can't see someone from FS being able to do any better. Anyone have FS do this?

Thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Is there any point in doing this?
I assume it can't hurt and can only help. Presumably you can set it back to factory settings if you don't like the result.

I'd be very curious as to what they really do. If you get it done, then I'd really like to hear about what they did, how long they took, whether they leave you with any documentation etc.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No ISF calibration in Winnipeg?

Well with my new tv now at 100+ hours I decided to look into calibration and dutifully went to the ISF site to find a local technician :

1. Advance Electronics-called them up and the guy doesn't do it anymore and only did it for tv's bought there anyways (not me). He gave me the website for lionav and Michael C. who comes to Winnipeg periodically. He stated that's the only possibility and it looks like he's right! :confused:

2. FS/BB- not available here

3. some outfit called HT Excellence, emailed them with no response and googling the name yields no results.

So unless someone has some other suggestions I guess I'm waiting for M.C. (he's going to let me know if he's coming out)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm pretty sure FS offers calibration as a service. The sales rep tried to get me to get a calibration package when he was trying to sell me a tv.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm pretty sure FS offers calibration as a service. The sales rep tried to get me to get a calibration package when he was trying to sell me a tv.
Thanks I'll check but only BB offers ISF calibration on their web site but it's not available in Winnipeg.

FS offers a set up service which says "audio and video settings are calibrated to THX standards." I doubt this is an ISF certified calibration.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The FS setup and calibration are 2 different things. Yes you are correct in saying that the "THX" standard is not ISF but I am almost 100% positive that there is a FS ISF person in Winnipeg. instead of wasting your time in going into the store I would just call and ask a home theatre sales person.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am almost 100% positive that there is a FS ISF person in Winnipeg. instead of wasting your time in going into the store I would just call and ask a home theatre sales person.
I have it on good authority ;) that you are right about FS, now if they'd only answer their phone! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
A rep from WPG FS has indicated the same to me.
do a search for member HTGuy2, he had PM'd me indicating that FS does indeed offer ISF certified calibration, at the time of his message they had 1 ISF certified calibrationist (possibly more now). Although it was an unsolicited PM, he did convey professionalism and courtesy and it might be worthwhile to look into.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks Bent. He's who I was referring to as a "good authority". :D

I wonder if he can get them to answer the phone occasionally :p

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can confirm FS has an ISF certified calibrator, I've booked him for the first weekend available.... March 27! :eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well with my new tv now at 100+ hours I decided to look into calibration and dutifully went to the ISF site

http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm to find a local technician :

3. some outfit called HT Excellence, emailed them with no response and googling the name yields no results.
Just to update I received an email from them and their price is similar to FS.

So it appears there are at least 2 sources for ISF calibration in Winnipeg after all. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
THX/ISF Calibration for Southern Ontario

Hi guys

A few clients of mine recently pointed this site out to me so I'm finally happy to be participating on a Canadian forum. I was directed to this thread to state where I'm located (I'm assuming it's approved to do this since this is what the thread is about - I have read and understand the rules of this forum so this will be an isolated post on this topic by me here only), so I'll briefly introduce myself.

I'm a THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator who has been actively calibrating across Southern Ontario for the past 10 years. Most of my work lies between Niagara through north of the GTA, but I go as west as Windsor, with no boundaries to the east, and as north as North Bay. I currently do not travel outside the province, but that may change in the near future.

My experience is with all display types - all panels/projectors to the old CRT devices (front and rear screen) which I received my ISF training on ten years ago (updated ISF certificate August 2009).

I consider my calibration equipment state-of-the art as I have now added a Konika-Minolta CS-1000A high-accuracy spectroradiometer to my kit. Without a doubt, this lab instrument measures grayscale and CMS with extreme accuracy for all display types. An Accupel HDG-4000 video generator is used for source signals amongst other tools.

I've always believed in educating my clients about calibrations. No steps are skipped and the client will fully understand the calibration process by the time I'm finished. With this practiced philosophy, I found it natural to join other veteran calibrators to calibrate as a THX Professional (trained in March 2008 - THX spearheaded by fellow calibrators Michael Chen of Alberta and Gregg Loewen of Maine). In addition to an improved image, we all believe that educating the client is one of the most important outcomes of the calibration procedure.

Regards,

Mike Osadciw
THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
THE HIGHEST FIDELITY

·
Registered
144 Posts
THE HIGHEST FIDELITY - Ontario THX/ISF Video Calibration

To make things a bit easier, here's a breakdown of the above post I made plus some contact information.
BTW, my last name is pronounced Oh-sad-chew :D

Service Area
My primary service area is east of GTA through to Niagara.
My secondary service area (tours) cover Windsor through to North Bay.
Additional tour areas will be announced on my website.

Education/Experience
  • 2001 - ISF Certification (renewed in 2009)
  • 2006 - Master of Science, Education
  • 2009 - THX Video Calibrator Certification
A quick history: I worked in the A/V industry. I've been reading video theory since 1994, bought my first calibration laserdisc in 1996, and then jumped into calibrating when I acquired my first Philips Color Analyzer in 1999. For two years I calibrated dealer video displays until I received my ISF Certification in 2001. I have been actively calibrating for clients since then. I have always believed in educating my clients on the calibration process and the benefits of, which is why when I was approached by the gentlemen who instruct THX, becoming a THX Professional Video Calibrator was a perfect fit.

Calibration Equipment & Software
  • Konica Minolta CS-1000A spectroradiometer
  • GretagMacBeth Eye-One Monitor spectroradiometer
  • CalMAN ColorPro calibration software
  • Colorfacts v7.5 calibration software
  • Accupel HDG-4000 video signal generator
  • ControlCal for Pioneer & ELITE displays: ISFccc [7G][8G][9G] and INSTALL KPM-500/600
I use the Konica Minolta reference lab-grade spectroradiometer because of its guaranteed accuracy/repeatability for all display devices. It's the device that most other meters are compared to/measured against.

Contact Information

To book a calibration, you may contact me by:
  • Phone: (905) 730-5996
  • Email: click on my name in my signature (to prevent e-mail spam)
  • Web: www.thehighestfidelity.com (active March 2010)
  • PM through Digital Home
Regards,

Mike Osadciw
THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
THE HIGHEST FIDELITY

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just had Michael Osadciw do a THX calibration on my Panasonic 65VT30. TV looks amazing. Black levels are deep and the best way to describe the picture quality is natural. Michael is a true professional. He explained every step of the calibration and encouraged questions. What I liked the most is that Michael is a perfectionist. He calibrates the tv as if he owns it. He simply wants to deliver the best picture possible to you. He has top of the line gear and knows how to use it.

I TOTALLY RECOMMEND MICHAEL OSADCIW to calibrate your display.

Thanks again Michael. You've made me a very happy owner of a THX calibrated 65VT30.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.