Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aquos LC42D65

I just purchased the new aquos 65 series TV this past weekend, and when got it all set up, started having trouble with my sat receiver (Starchoice). Wasn't sure what the problem was, but remote was very hard to use, unresponsive half the time. Found this post, ajusted the backlight down, and now works great:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My problem doesn't seem to go away on the 9242....to the point where my remote is COMPLETELY useless. Heck, I can't even change channels. It is able to turn on / off the receiver when the TV is off but the second the TV is on, everything goes into the crapper.

Let me go through this:

- Completely dark room: no difference
- LCD backlight up: no difference
- LCD backlight down: no difference
- STB 6ft away in its own cabinet: no difference

This is amazingly frustrating. What am I supposed to do, wrap tin foil around my TV? :rolleyes:

Oh, and my TV is a Samsung LNA52A850 LCD.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Try backlight in the middle or at about 75%. If there is an auto-roomlight compensation or something similar, turn that off. Did you change the picture mode away from the default vivid mode to User or Custom, or whatever it's called in the Samsung? Change the batteries in the remote? Put the 9242 in a slightly different location "blocked" from the TV? The other suggestions in post 1?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try backlight in the middle or at about 75%.
Basically, I have tried from 1 to 10. At the "1" setting I get spotty reception from the IR remote when I am about 3ft. away and the receiver is placed about 6ft away from the TV with the cables stretched to the MAX. Any other setting (2, 3, 4, etc.) results in zero signal until I am point blank with the remote.

If there is an auto-roomlight compensation or something similar, turn that off.
There isn't a setting like this on the Samsung I have.

Did you change the picture mode away from the default vivid mode to User or Custom, or whatever it's called in the Samsung?
Actually, it is considered "dynamic" mode I believe. There are three options: Dynamic, Movie and Standard. I have mine set on Standard with brightness @ 45.

Change the batteries in the remote?
Yup.

Put the 9242 in a slightly different location "blocked" from the TV?
Yes. Within a bookcase 6ft away from the TV.

The other suggestions in post 1?
Yes.

Is there a way to use the UF remote for the TV1? If so, that would solve my problems until I get my second TV in about 3 months...

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Is there a way to use the UF remote for the TV1? If so, that would solve my problems until I get my second TV in about 3 months...
You may want to ask that question over in the BTV/PVR section of the forum

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, just thought I'd add my fix to this problem and thankyou for helping me before I wasted a lot of time. I have a Samsung 46LN850A. My old dish STB worked fine in every mode, but the 722 had the IR interference problem. The only setting on the TV that cleared up the problems was changing PICTURE mode to STANDARD. The other choices are DYNAMIC and MOVIE. Those cause large enough amounts of interference to shut my remote down and the RF remote for TV2. You'd think that a company as big as Samsung would have a clue about these issues. Also, is there anyway to increase this thread's google searchability?? I found it after hours of searching and narrowing down my problem. Just thought it'd be nice for others not so driven to find this place too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is really a complex issue, isn't it?

After I got things working with the backlight, another problem came up that is only on occasion: when I switch from Watch TV to Watch DVD on my Harmony, all devices behave correctly and the 9242 turns off. When I switch from DVD back to TV, every so often the 9242 will not turn on. The only way to get the 9242 back is to power it up manually.

My TV has different profiles for HDMI1 and HDMI2, so the backlight and other settings are set slightly different in each profile. But even if I set the profiles to be the same, the problem still happens on occasion.

I can live with this but it is a bit annoying.

Regards, Rich

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Tip. Leave the 9242 on for any full session and only turn it off when you're finished for the day. I believe this can be programmed into the Harmony.

I have told many of my clients this - leave the components "on" after the initial startup or when you do any of the "watch whatever" functions, but then when you're ready to turn off the TV and go to bed, turn everything off.

Yes this will use a bit more power, so this can be done at your option and may depend on your viewing habits and whether you're having issues or not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks 57, the Harmony can do that easily.

I think, though, that what will happen is that if I power off after watching a DVD, the 9242 will occasionally refuse to power off.

Rich

Now, I just had this thought: my thinking was that it was the HDMI2 profile that caused the problem. Perhaps it is the switch to HDMI1 (TV) profile that causes the problem. If I adjust the sequence of what gets turned on/off and get the 9242 to go first, then there may not be a problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been following the discussion on STB interference with much trepidation. I have just ordered a Samsung LN52850A for delivery in 1 week or so.

I have a Bell Expressvu 9200 (might switch to 9242) and a variety of equipemt that is up for replacement as it currently is pretty bad for using remotes but at least works.

The sales guy tried to sell me a Bose V20 indicating that it was RF based and would not have the problems indicated. But research here and on the web has confirmed that is not the solution based on quality and unreasonable price for what you got.

Based on the fact that I have a new LCD and existing 9200 and the rest can be replaced is there some suggestions on how I might bypass this interference problems with what I look to get. (Also in background is a Windows Home Server that has 5TB empty for dvd storage when I get around to it). Would looking at a RF solution or a IF solution local to a new AVR bypass these issues.

I got wife approval for the spending and she is looking forward to a new Home theatre, but that enthusiasm and support may wane if I create problems such I have read about.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just as an FYI, many people don't have any issues. Those that do report issues, have them easily solved by one of the ways discussed in post 1. It's very rare that it requires any "extra effort".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks... I hope I don't have the problems...

But obviously I know where to seek answers. In these forums.

I can't wait to share my experiences with the members on my new Samsung 850 when it arrives and give back to the members input in exchange for the vast amount of info I been pulling in the last 2 months as I go thorough the selection process for my Home theatre. I have spent hours and hours on these forums getting educated and over-whelmed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, just thought I'd add my fix to this problem and thankyou for helping me before I wasted a lot of time. I have a Samsung 46LN850A. My old dish STB worked fine in every mode, but the 722 had the IR interference problem. The only setting on the TV that cleared up the problems was changing PICTURE mode to STANDARD. The other choices are DYNAMIC and MOVIE. Those cause large enough amounts of interference to shut my remote down and the RF remote for TV2. You'd think that a company as big as Samsung would have a clue about these issues. Also, is there anyway to increase this thread's google searchability?? I found it after hours of searching and narrowing down my problem. Just thought it'd be nice for others not so driven to find this place too. Thanks again!
So your problem was solved by simply changing to Standard instead of Dynamic. Did the problem only affect to IR remote or the UHF also? I read that some folks solved their problem by converting the IR to UHF.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Samsung 850 series with a bell receiver.......a piece of black shrink wrap taped over the i/r sensor on the bell receiver solved the problem. Could use the remote immediately. Tried changing the energy saver mode, medium reduced the time but did not eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I got my LN52a850 last week and am using a Bell 9200 and everything works fine without doing anything. I had actually forgotten my concerns about this issue until I perused this thread again.

As 57 mentioned...not everyone is having these problems. I pretty well played with every setting - picture, standard, movie etc and they all seemed to work. Must be be a combination of factors that can't always be laid down at a paticular manufacturer's doorstep.

I am just glad I am I was spared the issues. But then I have a Harmony One coming next week and we will see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try the backlight setting

I just bought a 52" Samsung 850 with a Bell 9242 HD PVR. I immediately had the problem with the IR remote not working. Out of the box, the setup would only work with the remote within a few millimeters of the IR sensors for the first 15 minutes the TV was on. After that it worked ok. The trick for this combination of TV and PVR was to set the backlight to 8 or more. At about 3meters in front of the TV/PVR, the remote won't work if the backlight is set to anything below 8. Very annoying. Has anyone had better luck with other remotes?

Thanks to everyone for the posts. My frustration level has gone down somewhat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm definitely having problems which seem related to this issue. I have a Samsung LCD 52" model 52LN750, and when I turn it on, I'm having major troubles using the remote on my satellite STB (Bell TV model 3100 - yes I know it's SD and sucks, I'll be getting a 9242 in a few weeks). After 10 minutes or so, problem seems to be a bit better, but still very annoying.

I will definitely try the hints in this thread and see if it improves things, but this will have to wait until the new year as I'm moving into a new house in a 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed

Hello everyone and thanks to everyone for great posts on this problem.

I had this exact problem with my Sharp LCD and Dish 311 receiver. After spending a while at this forum I went to my LCD and tried playing around with LCD display settings. Turns out Sharp LCD has something called OST mode which automatically adjusts back light according to the light conditions in the room. Once I disabled this feature the problem just disappeared like magic.

Any ways I would definitely not resolve this if it wasn't for this forum so BIG thanks to everyone.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts