Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a few days ago that facebook had made some changes that were, to say the least underhanded. It seems that under facebook's privacy setting there is a option (preselected by facebook) that effectively lets them gather and send out information about you/sites you visit etc.

This "option" appears under Web & Apps and is called Instant Personalization.
I went to CNN's site (they have an embedded link to facebook) and I got a pop-up "xd_proxy.css and static.ak.fbcdn.net". I then went to Portland State University's web-site and was "blocked". My I.P. had been blacklisted for the following reason, as I had been informed by CBL.Abuseat. <you have an open proxy used for spamming on that IP, or
- you have a NAT firewall, and one or more machines behind it have an open proxy used for spamming.>

I am really angry with facebook....again!

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could be wrong? The blocking coincided with the appearance of the Proxy warning message that I received from a couple of sites that I went to, were facebook had an embedded link. While instant personalization may have been around for some time, this was the first time that I ever saw that warning, and after deselecting it, I no longer get that warning.

I am using a Rogers Rocket stick, and I did speak to Rogers about the blacklisted IP address. The tech person that I spoke to, either did not know what I was talking about or did not care. He sent my concern up to the 2nd level, and it was apparent, that Rogers was not concerned at all about the integrity of their IP address. They did suggest that, for an additional cost, I could have a private IP address.......

I am not sure if this is an issue that CRTC is or has looked into?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You for a very informative reply! I guess in some sort of facebook loathing way, I was perhaps a bit too quick to blame them. I guess that it was just coincidence that I started to get a "proxy pop-up" when visiting CNN's site, and the pop-up made included "fbcdn" in the string. I have since learned that the CNN issue had to do with Instant Personalization, which I think facebook must have made some changes to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.