Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a bit of a unique setup for my home network. I like having control over it, and use my own firewall. Now, with the introduction of Telus's service, my setup has become more complicated. This is the way it used to be, with Shaw: Figure 1

Everything worked, I could stream media from my PC's to my XBox, etc. Nice, simple.

Now, with Telus, it would have been this (it's not currently this, that I'll show down below): Figure 2

I can now use my XBox as my DVR extender, and watch TV on it, but I can't stream from my home PC's now, as they are on a different network (192.168.1.x, vs the D-Link network which I changed to 192.168.5.x), and this setup causes issues with remote access to my home network, and with a server I had running, etc (let's not get into the whole 'servers aren't allowed' please, that's a separate issue I'm dealing with and is not important to this issue).

What I'd like to be able to do is this: Figure 3

To have this setup, I need to know how I can allow multicast packets through my own firewall, and also expose my server to the Internet, so that not only do I have control over what gets into my network, but have the ability to use my XBox as the extender, AND this setup allows it to stream from my home PC's.

Actually, let's get a little bit more unrealistic, how about this instead: Figure 4

Would it be possible to get rid of the D-Link entirely???

So, having wrangled with this a little bit, this is my CURRENT setup: Figure 5

This is not my optimal setup, and is not giving me what I ultimately want (explained above), but this does allow me control over my network, allows the DVR and XBox to work together, but doesn't allow me to stream from my PC to my XBox.

I'd like to know if this setup is even possible. What I need is what rules to setup to allow the multicast packets to come through my firewall to allow the IPTV multicast packets to come through to my XBox, which can then be connected to the network on which a server has a firewall running on it that I control. Needless to say, the D-Link as a router stinks, and the admin interface is just plain crappy and a pain to use.

Obviously, my preference here is to NOT have to get rid of my server, and to NOT have to use the D-Link as my Internet gateway, as it is, in my opinion, at least, junk.

Can anyone help? Am I in dream land? ;)

Let me know if you need me to elaborate any more than this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One possible solution, based on Figure 5, is to add a 2nd NIC to your PC, and connect it to D-link. You will have to play with the settings to route all Internet traffic from your PC to go through Kerio. Then you should be able to stream to your Xbox.

Give it a shot. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, that didn't occur to me... that is something I could try, maybe sometime this weekend... although I would ultimately like something like Figure 4 if at all possible, and not use the D-Link at all... I wonder if the ActionTek modem/router is any better, from what I've heard, it is...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anyone else?

·
Banned
548 Posts
Try to get the new Actiontec modem router TELUS is coming out with Oct 28 (I think its the 28th). It has a built in VDSL2 modem and features WPA over N wireless. The ports are gigabit LAN so your network speed issues should be resolved while preserving TELUS's QOS.

I'm finding definite better wifi and it seems like it handles load lots better. That said TELUS is also working on a new firmware upgrade for the 3810 (D-Link) that is supposed to resolve its issues. Its being tortured in-house by faithful minions ATM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts