Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright we are redoing our kitchen and dining room and I want to add a new tv and a big receiver for the dining room and kitchen. we are going to use 12 speakers (4 in dining room,4 kitchen,4 where the tv is) and split the zones with a speaker splitter switch. But I really want to know if I could by any odd chance run the tv and music at the same time but in the different speaker zones that we are going to use. So for example kids watch tv while I listen to music with company in kitchen area if its possible I want to know about it! Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
you can buy a receiver with 3 zones capability such as Pioneer SC-37.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Many higher end receivers will allow you to run in three separate zones although you may need a separate amp for the third zone.

With three zones, you will likely be limited to stereo in each zone.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
You should probably be looking at a multi-room audio system like the Nuvo since most AVRs won't have the amplification for the 3rd zone as mentioned above and since they're not really designed for more than 2 speakers in zones 2/3.

Search this forum for Nuvo and you'll find discussions of it and other multi-room systems.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Problem with that (and I considered it) is that it won't have multichannel sound for the TV (if that's necessary).

If investing in additional equipment, I'd also consider Sonos for the additional rooms.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
You can have a dedicated AVR for the home theatre and multi-room for the rest of the house. This would allow for less expensive AVR and less expensive multi-room systems. Of course an AVR with multi-zones may be the correct option in this case - just trying to point out options. The issue with an AVR is often the problems associated with trying to run more than 2 speakers beyond the main zone due to impedance mismatches and the need for separate amplification anyway for the 3rd zone. You can always feed the AVR output signal(s) into the (small) multi-room system.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It might just be cheaper/better to get a amplified speaker system per room, period. If you have one, you can use your existing AV receiver, and split preouts to computer style speakers (with built in amps). They still sounds great, and you can send the signal through one rg6 (mono only I think), since it's only unpowered sound.

It's an option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts