Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a lady show up at my door with a Bell jacket on asking if she could take a picture of my install I had done a few months ago.

Is it normal for a Bell rep to follow up this way?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yes very normal.

What is happening, is the Installation Company doing the job, is being followed by a Tech from a different Company.

You do not say where you are, otherwise I could probably tell you, who both Companies are.

A few months is a little late, they are trying to get to them within 28 days I believe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In my opinion, this sounds like an awesome way to get into someone's house to see if their receivers would be worth stealing. If someone comes to your door unannounced like that, your best bet is to send them away and let them know that you'll be contacting the company to see if they would like to make an appointment for that person to come back later to do the check.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Are you for real.?

The Tech going there, already KNOWS what receivers the Customer has.
Why would anyone steal a Bell Receiver.? As soon as it is reported it is deactivated and will no longer work.

If you do not want to allow him/her inside to verify that the Installer did his job correctly, then thats fine, just don't start shouting 2 weeks later when you find the 9241 is only connected via Composite.......

·
Registered
94 Posts
My point is, how do you know it's a tech if no one contacted you before hand? It could just be some dishonest person noticing a new dish going up and deciding to gain access to see if the receivers would be worth stealing in the future. And just because it is deactivated and won't work doesn't mena it can't resold. That's why anyone buying a used one is told (on THIS forum) to check the receiver witrh Bell themselves before buying.

I'm just pointing out that if some stranger shows up asking to come into your house to take pictures of your stuff, maybe you should contact the company they supposedly represent to make sure they are actually sending someone out to do the check. When you're getting an installation, you make a appointment. It stands to reason that if Bell wants to check on the equipment (which they should do from time to time) they should call and make another appointment to do so as well.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
90% of the checks are on the Installation, on the outside, is the Dish mounted correctly, Grounded, drip loops on the lines etc.

All the Techs doing the checks, should be carrying Bell ID Cards, if they are not, then I agree, tell them to take a hike. I would also expect them to have profesionall printed Business Cards but thats pushing things a bit, IMHO.

As this is a new procedure, Bell 'should' tell Customers to expect a follow up within 28 day, again, I doubt this as they seldom get an order correct so this is just wishful thinking again, on my part.

Most Installation Companies are now asking the Installer to take pictures at the time of Installation, so just why Bell want more is beyond me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Brockville ON and the lady only took pictures of the actual dish installation outside. At no point did she ask to look at what was installed inside.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Thanks for the Update.

Well she is not doing her job correctly as Bell have told Techs to request, politely, of course, access to ensure the inside work is also done to standards.

The Installation Co, should be SEI not sure who is inspecting their work though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lady was in her personal car, but was wearing a jacket with a Bell logo on it. Just seemed weird to me as she really didn't say very much.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yeah, that would be very wrong. She should have been in a Company Vehicle or at the very least have a Business Card and a Bell Photo ID Card.

She had most likely just been thrown in at the deep end, nothing new there.

Just as an FYI, the info I have says that the people doing the Inspections should be very experienced at Installations and know the bell Best Practice manual inside out. It was also suggested that they be Supervisors with many years experince at Inspecting and reporting defects etc.

Oh well, like all things Bell, not everyone reads the Memo's the same way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the installer himself took pics last fall when he installed mine? Said it was to prove his work if questions or concerns happened later...cover his own a$$.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Yeah, and now it seems that is not enough and they are now paying a different Company to provide images.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts