Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Shaw??? Hello? Another 3 months....nothing. Where is the smartphone app?

This pops into my head one or twice a month when I'm sitting at work and suddenly remember i want to record something.

Smartphone PVR is not even listed on the Gateway page as part of the "future ready" features. The 2 features listed are Wifi (doesn't pretty much everyone with an internet connection already have wifi...in fact Shaw gave me a new hybrid modem/wifi router when i upgraded to the Gateway) and DLNA (not sure how much this will add since i have AppleTV other than it will be available on 3 TVs instead of one).

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I think it is safe to assume that if this has been in the works for a couple of years now and we still haven't seen it released that it likely won't be happening anytime soon. Shaw has many differences from other cable operations that make this sort of 'feature' a liability for them so it isn't as simple as 'ask and you shall receive'.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Shaw has many differences from other cable operations that make this sort of 'feature' a liability for them so it isn't as simple as 'ask and you shall receive'.
I very much would like to know what this means...

From my perspective (long, long time Shaw customer), it means: We will not get our feet wet. We will not innovate. We will simply keep up with the pace and make sure our shareholders are happy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
In what what way does Shaw have many differences from other cable operations? If they weren't capable of fully supporting the Gateway they should have looked a system that is compatible.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Without going into details, which I really don't have anyway, Shaw built a divided or separate network for their phone and internet services and the TV delivery(I don't know if this is two or three networks). The infrastructure for this made the respective networks more 'stable' but the Gateway system was designed to work in a fully integrated network like most other CableCos have.

Shaw was actually thinking they were being innovative and forward-thinking back when they made the decision to build their network the way they did. They are also continuously working on 'new' features and services to offer but because they are 'different' from the majority of the world, it makes things harder for them and consequently it takes much longer to make 'solutions', that others can simply throw the switch for, work in a divided environment.

This may eventually lead to integration of Shaw's networks(which may be happening now for all I know). If they don't integrate then they will continue to be encumbered at the price of the stability and security they have worked so hard to achieve. Personally, I would rather have a secure network now and wait a little longer for 'new' equipment/features to be worked into the system.

This is what has been described to me over the past several years so take it for what it's worth. I doubt you will get anyone from Shaw either confirming or denying any of it. If I'm wrong, I do apologize.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will confirm pretty much exactly what you just said. And Shaw has two networks, one for phone/gateway, one for internet/TV and all other cable boxes. Shaw is working to get everything switched to one network.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess this is one example of what Shaw thought was being innovative with separate networks actually turned out to be a hindrance. This network amalgamation has been in the works for years now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know where you get your information about network amalgamations being in the works for years; but I would say that you're wrong. And no its not a hinderance. Its just that Shaw puts a high value on your voice traffic.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Still in the works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't believe I have been waiting for over 3 years for this. The only thing keeping me to Shaw is the cable channel package I got 12 years ago and Telus has nothing similar. I feel hostage to a dinosaur. Anybody hear any rumblings to keep me tethered or is it finally time??

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I believe this is something that is 'waiting' for the completion of the network converging Shaw is currently doing. I have no idea of when this will be completed but it could still be some time before we see the ability to set recordings at home from our smart mobile devices. I too am hoping it will be sooner than later.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts