Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some problems with my service lately so i've made quite a few calls. In the past, I always received a prompt, courteous and knowledgeable service.
However, the last few calls I made, i've gotten employees that could barely speak any english, its been extremely frustrating constantly having to repeat myself and I had to make numerous callbacks to ensure that they did what I asked.

What is going on with Telus? First they eliminate the bundle plans and now this. Is Telus outsourcing their customer service to other countries?:confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Philippines

Telus outsourced most of its CSRs to a wholly owned subsidiary in the Philippines. Their max pay rate is approximately $400 per month -- which is a good rate in that country. Maybe the Canadian Federal Government will allow full foreign competition to the bloated Canadian telcos -- they were protected monopolies for almost a century. The logic of this position is that a company shouldn't get government protection if it is allowed to outsource jobs offshore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for informing me, another reason to drop Telus as my carrier.

Is this common practice amongst all of the cell phone carriers? I prefer to keep my business in Canada and get the type of customer service I expect.

The customer service is so bad!!!! I was shocked at the level of service.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I don't think Rogers outsources, and Bell Mobility doesn't either (although Virgin/Solo Mobile might).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If Telus offers you a language choice, choose "French" - most places only outsource English calls. Once you get a Canadian, they will likely be able to serve you in English.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I don't think Rogers outsources, and Bell Mobility doesn't either (although Virgin/Solo Mobile might).
Are you kidding me - talking to Bell Mobility is impossible. Everytime I call them I get a heavy Indian accent and it's hammering a square peg into a round hole getting them to understand my question let alone answer it. Bell Mobility not only seems to out source to India, but our sources to the lowest quality of call centers available.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
The way Skyhook works is they've been building a database of SSIDs and their (rough) locations.
Rogers doesn't. Their support staff are located in Toronto.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have dealt with Rogers Wireless CSRs in Moncton (good way to establish rapport is to ask about the weather in wherever, favourite Canadian topic). While activating my chat-r service a couple of weeks ago, I got a call-back from the NL area code; the service was "Newfie friendly" despite the fact I called them 10 minutes before closing-time on opening day, which must have been enough to make anyone just want to go home.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've always received good CS from the Rogers call centre in Moncton. Good people out on the east coast. They speak English. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Telus outsourced most of its CSRs to a wholly owned subsidiary in the Philippines. ... Maybe the Canadian Federal Government will allow full foreign competition to the bloated Canadian telcos ... The logic of this position is that a company shouldn't get government protection if it is allowed to outsource jobs offshore.
Telus outsourcing of CSRs to Philippines is old news, a few years anyway.

Linking job outsourcing to foreign ownership control of telco's maybe a position of a couple of unions and the NDP but it has never been the official rationale, which is more about Canadian control of broadcasting for content (social, cultural) and security (telecom). Outsourcing call centres has almost zero relevance to those principles. There are principles related to technological development but the collapse of Nortel has left RIM and few small players in rather difficult positions.

Of course, increasing costs means higher prices or subsidies - is that what you want - or foreign control?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just had a horrible experience with a TELUS CSR.

I was taking a vacation to the US, and I learned a long time ago, call them and switch to an international plan for a couple of weeks to avoid the insane roaming.

So, the CSR said to use the add-on that costs $20 and give me roaming for 25 cents a minute. Sounds fair... so I did.

I got my bill and not only did they charge me for the add-on, but my roaming was $1.45 a minute. Since I had not been to the US in the month previous, I know it's an error... annoying, but I figure they'll fix it no problem.

So I call today and explain it, and before it's even out of my mouth, he is blaming ME for the error. "You made the calls before you put the add-on through". Me: "No I didn't..." Him: "Yes you did, I see it right here on the screen." Me: "I wasn't in the US until last week." Him: "Oh yea, I was wrong." No apology, nothing.

So I flat out told him... They wasted my time and energy (again) on a billing issue, and botched the whole thing... I didn't want to pay the roaming OR the $20 add-on, since neither was done correctly.

He actually argued with me about it. Eventually he gave me a $50 credit for my trouble... but frankly, I just want my service to be correct, and I shouldn't have to raise my voice and rant to get it.

I'm a 10+ year TELUS customer. I was there day one after the ClearNet acquisition, but I'm through...

I've got free caller ID for 2 years, free voicemail for 2 years, and an additional 200 minutes a month for free from previous "mistakes" and I'm pretty tired of it.

I think I am finally going to cancel. The kicker... I'm still 15 months left on a contract I signed to get the BB Curve which they pushed on me. What a piece of crap.

$300 to get out of the contract... plus the cost of a new BB, which I will buy this time. No contracts!!!

OH... On top of that, I just read on my bill that they are going to charge $2 / month for a paper bill. Can you believe that???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Telus Mobility Outsourced After Hours

Telus Mobility is definitely outsourcing, but not all the time. I have had to call them about 8 times in the past two weeks, and the two weekend nightime calls I made were answered by people who were obviously from another culture, not familiar with the most basic North American conventions for Customer Service. The weekday daytime calls were answered by Canadians.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts