Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm sorry, I am having a real hard time trying to follow what you are saying. There isn't a missing demographic in my opinion. You have Treehouse, Disney Jr and Family Jr for pre-schoolers, you have Teletoon, YTV, Disney, Family, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network for school age children and you have Adult Swim for older teens and adults. What am I missing here? Plus online services cover all these demographics too. You seem absolutely fixated on a programming block that ended years ago. Why does Teletoon need to cater to all or multiple demographics? Several of us have been trying to explain that the business model for linear TV is vastly different than even 5 years ago. Linear TV has a very limited future. That's the reality and nothing you want or say is going to change that.
So I guess Teletoon is never going to air adult animation again. Am I correct?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm sorry, I am having a real hard time trying to follow what you are saying. There isn't a missing demographic in my opinion. You have Treehouse, Disney Jr and Family Jr for pre-schoolers, you have Teletoon, YTV, Disney, Family, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network for school age children and you have Adult Swim for older teens and adults. What am I missing here? Plus online services cover all these demographics too. You seem absolutely fixated on a programming block that ended years ago. Why does Teletoon need to cater to all or multiple demographics? Several of us have been trying to explain that the business model for linear TV is vastly different than even 5 years ago. Linear TV has a very limited future. That's the reality and nothing you want or say is going to change that.
But this is what I highly demanded. I know it is hard to imagine so many demographics and I know that linear tv has been a complete waste of space these days. No one really cares for sure where this is coming from and that there are some uncertainties in the broader industry especially when it comes to linear television. I know it is hard to understand but you really have no intention of asking me why I'm being fixated over a programming block that no longer exists. I'm sure you don't understand the concept but that's just what I'm trying to do. I know we've been over this so many times and I can't even imagine what is going on in your mind. Perhaps our minds could be in a state of flux sometimes. That's just what it is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ryan, what is fueling this obsession? Were you really into Family Guy reruns? Are you in a position where you have access to Teletoon but not Adult Swim? If so, asking your provider about swapping channels is a better thing to do than to post your network restructuring fanfiction.

If it's just nostalgia ... well, the world changes. Remember when Much was a music channel? Remember when cable channels actually ran more than one first-run show a week? Satiate your nostalgia by looking up promos on YouTube and watching TAN's shows elsewhere.

Even if Teletoon was sold to a different company, there's no guarantee they'd want to air adult animation. Family Guy, King of the Hill, Rick & Morty plus the rest of the Adult Swim catalogue would still be controlled by Corus. What would that leave them with? Second window Netflix shows and anime? That wouldn't resemble your beloved Teletoon at Night at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ryan, what is fueling this obsession? Were you really into Family Guy reruns? Are you in a position where you have access to Teletoon but not Adult Swim? If so, asking your provider about swapping channels is a better thing to do than to post your network restructuring fanfiction.

If it's just nostalgia ... well, the world changes. Remember when Much was a music channel? Remember when cable channels actually ran more than one first-run show a week? Satiate your nostalgia by looking up promos on YouTube and watching TAN's shows elsewhere.

Even if Teletoon was sold to a different company, there's no guarantee they'd want to air adult animation. Family Guy, King of the Hill, Rick & Morty plus the rest of the Adult Swim catalogue would still be controlled by Corus. What would that leave them with? Second window Netflix shows and anime? That wouldn't resemble your beloved Teletoon at Night at all.
I understand that reasonably clear and I'm really sorry if I'd gotten a little more over the edge or something. All I really wanted is for Teletoon to bring back the young adult demographic since their current nighttime schedule has been nothing but garbage as it has been over the last couple of years. Nothing really changes and that's a de facto. No one really cares about what they would watch on a specific decent channel especially when it comes to linear tv and I wanted to know what is right and what is not. I know there is nothing better to watch on linear television nowadays but there is a point that's been missing here. Also, I don't even watch Teletoon that much anymore because if I was to tune in to that channel to watch an adult animated show then the real problem is that none of these shows are airing on the Teletoon channel anymore as they now air on Adult Swim and I can go tune in to Adult Swim to watch these programs if I have to. I still don't get why I'm being fixated on a block that no longer exists. I know there are most grownups like myself that can tune in to watch a certain program that used to be on a channel years ago. That's what's been missing and I still don't even know why I'm being fixated on that. I still don't get it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Exactly the point! There really isn't any segmentation among cable channels anymore. Any particular channel will now air programs for a specific demographic 24/7, much to the desire of advertisers who are looking to promote their wares to a particular target market (of course on the internet, this can be done more efficiently than by purchasing ads on channels with national reach).

Anyone remember the days when Family Channel would air shows like The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show or B&W films that were targeted to seniors? In those early days of limited analogue bandwidth and where the launch of a cable channel was a high-stakes gamble, something like segmented programming was a method channels used to best use their infrastructure to attract cable subscribers, and furthermore advertisers, for the final success of their investment. In a 500-channel digital universe, you can now target on a per-channel basis.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm guessing the English Teletoon will survive without their beloved adult animation for at least a few more years or so, maybe more than that I would assume. Who knows Corus isn't going to give up on these specialty channels. There has got to be a better solution than this. I'm really not going to add more fuel to the fire but who knows what will happen.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts