Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
So I guess both Teletoon Retro and Teletoon Detour will remain a thing of the past for generations to come. Am I right about this?
Yes. The content will likely be available streaming somewhere down the road though, as platforms try to fill out back catalogues. Or Retro Crush might try to pick it up if it's not already there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes. The content will likely be available streaming somewhere down the road though, as platforms try to fill out back catalogues. Or Retro Crush might try to pick it up if it's not already there.
Yeah and don't forget, I've already just set up a petition at Change.org to bring back Teletoon Detour so I've just signed onto that website just so you know. Okay?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you have kids? Serious question. Because I do, and the biggest problem with kids channels today is that kids don't watch content that way.

That's it. My son is baffled by the concept of having to go to a channel to watch whatever they have on their schedule when he can go into Netflix/Disney+/Kidoodle/Youtube/etc and watch whatever he wants, whenever he wants, on whatever device he wants. His friends are all the same. None of them even think about linear TV. It doesn't exist in their world.

These channels are an anachronism. Their target market doesn't give a damn about them anymore. That isn't going to change. Most of these channels exist now because they already had carriage, are in packages, and are just zombie revenue with little effort put into them. They've got little worth for the future and no one is going to swoop in and buy them all up, let alone launch new ones. Wildbrain isn't going to acquire more kids channels, they're focused on streaming deals because that's where the audience and growth are. (That's also why Corus is focused on it's StackTV channels: those are the ones they're pushing with the streaming availability.)

For ones that shut down because they were unpopular years ago despite dirt cheap content like Teletoon Retro? No chance. It's not happening. Ever. That content will probably show up for streaming somewhere at some point as part of filling out the back catalog.
And no, I don't have any kids because I'm not married nor will I ever be. I don't care much about how linear television or streaming services costs. If there was any media company that would want to acquire a kids channel like Teletoon then my guess would be WildBrain because who knows WildBrain owns only a few kids channels. There isn't any speculation to it. If I was in charge of the media companies, I would definitely bring back those channels that have been missing for a long time even if the ones that were shut down years ago due to lack of performance and unpopularity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In light of the current circumstances and uncertainties in the broader industry, I think linear television is such a nuclear waste these days because most people don't even pay much for cable as they heavily rely on streaming devices and such. That is why the problem with linear television is that kids don't even bother watching those channels that they used to enjoy even the ones that have shut down due to unpopularity. Isn't it time for a postulate change?

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
In light of the current circumstances and uncertainties in the broader industry, I think linear television is such a nuclear waste these days because most people don't even pay much for cable as they heavily rely on streaming devices and such. That is why the problem with linear television is that kids don't even bother watching those channels that they used to enjoy even the ones that have shut down due to unpopularity. Isn't it time for a postulate change?
But why? On Demand is far more convenient, in many cases is ad free. It's not a bad thing that traditional linear television is being replaced with streaming services.

·
Registered
70 Posts
But why? On Demand is far more convenient, in many cases is ad free. It's not a bad thing that traditional linear television is being replaced with streaming services.
I know what you're thinking and besides, streaming services don't even cost a fortune but then again, it's way better than linear television nowadays. who knows about both Teletoon Retro and Teletoon Detour? They don't even exist anymore but sometimes, I wish it would.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If Teletoon was to be sold to a new ownership then they would bring back their nighttime adult block that has been missing since TAN shuttered with the arrival of the new Adult Swim channel but it won't be named Teletoon Detour or Teletoon At Night, it would be named something else.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well of course like I've just said before, there have not been many buyers out there to acquire these tv channels but for these companies like Corus & WildBrain, it's no different so to speak. I am assuming that there are certain ways to be more lucrative such as investing but that's not beside the point here. All I wanted is for these companies to be more lucrative. I don't care much about streaming services or whatever, I just needed these companies to get it together if they wanted to take things in a different approach if you know what I mean.
Well if Teletoon does get sold to another company then they would definitely bring back their nighttime adult block that they've been missing since TAN shuttered back in April 2019 but with a new name because who would even care about these shows like Johnny Test, Teen Titans Go!, We Bare Bears etc. They just wanted to bring back the young adult demographic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My main guess is that there might be a new company that would want to acquire Teletoon from Corus. There used to be a company called WOW that has acquired a channel from Bell Media a while back and was going to turn that channel into a linear kids specialty channel. However, their license got revoked as if I may recall. The last time a kids channel was acquired by another company was 2013-2014 when Family Channel and its sister channels got sold to DHX Media (Now WildBrain). If the acquisition of Teletoon from Corus is completed which will probably not happen for the next while then whatever company that is in charge of Teletoon will have much more success with that channel. Also, I'm longing to see the return of Teletoon Detour but since that branding no longer exists then whatever company that has acquired Teletoon from Corus would have to come up with a new name for the new nighttime adult block for that channel.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My main guess is that there might be a new company that would want to acquire Teletoon from Corus. There used to be a company called WOW that has acquired a channel from Bell Media a while back and was going to turn that channel into a linear kids specialty channel. However, their license got revoked as if I may recall. The last time a kids channel was acquired by another company was 2013-2014 when Family Channel and its sister channels got sold to DHX Media (Now WildBrain). If the acquisition of Teletoon from Corus is completed which will probably not happen for the next while then whatever company that is in charge of Teletoon will have much more success with that channel. Also, I'm longing to see the return of Teletoon Detour but since that branding no longer exists then whatever company that has acquired Teletoon from Corus would have to come up with a new name for the new nighttime adult block for that channel.
Less "got revoked" and more "they asked for it to be revoked". WoW wrote off the value of the channel as a total loss, and had the licence revoked so they wouldn't have to pay the tangible benefits owing from it from back when Bell owned it.

That was an admission that their kids channel was never launching and that in effect the channel had no value. The market for linear kids channels has not gotten stronger since.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Less "got revoked" and more "they asked for it to be revoked". WoW wrote off the value of the channel as a total loss, and had the licence revoked so they wouldn't have to pay the tangible benefits owing from it from back when Bell owned it.

That was an admission that their kids channel was never launching and that in effect the channel had no value. The market for linear kids channels has not gotten stronger since.
Oh, I understand now. It has gotten to the point where linear television became such a complete waste of space and not many kid channels got the freedom and reluctance they used to have but now it has no such common value so it's no wonder that their broadcasting license got revoked. Also, when was the last time a kids channel was acquired by another company? I do have a suspicion that there might be a broadcasting license deal already planned.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
My guess is Corus' future is going to be producing programs for the domestic streaming market and foreign streaming market. Heck many shows they produce are on the discovery+ app now. Just like their subsidiary Nelvana produces programs for the various Nickelodeon channels. That's their future. Linear channels are nothing more than a stop gap at this point for older viewers that don't want to transition to streaming services. I recall DHX/Wildbrain saying the same thing when they transitioned their channels away from Disney programming.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My guess is Corus' future is going to be producing programs for the domestic streaming market and foreign streaming market. Heck many shows they produce are on the discovery+ app now. Just like their subsidiary Nelvana produces programs for the various Nickelodeon channels. That's their future. Linear channels are nothing more than a stop gap at this point for older viewers that don't want to transition to streaming services. I recall DHX/Wildbrain saying the same thing when they transitioned their channels away from Disney programming.
Yeah but no one even knows for sure what Teletoon's future might be yet since we all know that both Teletoon Detour and Teletoon Retro no longer exists anymore so why care?

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Yeah but no one even knows for sure what Teletoon's future might be yet since we all know that both Teletoon Detour and Teletoon Retro no longer exists anymore so why care?
I can tell you right now. They will either transition to an online streaming presence or it will cease to exist...it's that simple. As already mentioned in this thread, kids in large amounts are not watching these channels. They are watching YouTube, TikTok and Instagram (The older ones). Parents give there kids an iPad and they watch kids shows via Netfix, Disney+ and PrimeVideo. If they have cable, they are watching via on-demand through apps like Rogers Ignite. They typically aren't watching live TV. All my friends that have young children 100% watch ondemand. I'll also re-iterate, that with tweens and teens, they are consuming independent creators on YouTube, TikTok and Instragram for more so than content produced by legacy production companies like Disney and Nickelodeon. If you look at the big Disney teen stars of today and compare their followers with independent creators, the independent creators almost always dwarf the traditional actors/actresses in followers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
On second thought, I was thinking Corus might want to sell Teletoon and its French counterpart to new owners so that way the English Teletoon would bring back their nighttime adult block that they've been missing for nearly three years since their last nighttime adult block "Teletoon At Night" shuttered with the arrival of the new Adult Swim channel as well as the young adult demographic. However, they would have to give their nighttime block a new name since Teletoon Detour no longer exists.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think we are beating a dead horse here. It's not going to happen.
Oh I'm sure it will, perhaps it couldn't be any more different so to speak. You see, that's not beside the point here. The point is that there is a demographic that has been missing for quite some time now and that I would not want to put any specification to it as if I was going to be in charge of those companies. You see there is a point that has been missing and it is something that I wouldn't even mind telling you about. There's no point in telling where or when it will come in the catalog or when it will meet its comeuppance.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Oh I'm sure it will, perhaps it couldn't be any more different so to speak. You see, that's not beside the point here. The point is that there is a demographic that has been missing for quite some time now and that I would not want to put any specification to it as if I was going to be in charge of those companies. You see there is a point that has been missing and it is something that I wouldn't even mind telling you about. There's no point in telling where or when it will come in the catalog or when it will meet its comeuppance.
I'm sorry, I am having a real hard time trying to follow what you are saying. There isn't a missing demographic in my opinion. You have Treehouse, Disney Jr and Family Jr for pre-schoolers, you have Teletoon, YTV, Disney, Family, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network for school age children and you have Adult Swim for older teens and adults. What am I missing here? Plus online services cover all these demographics too. You seem absolutely fixated on a programming block that ended years ago. Why does Teletoon need to cater to all or multiple demographics? Several of us have been trying to explain that the business model for linear TV is vastly different than even 5 years ago. Linear TV has a very limited future. That's the reality and nothing you want or say is going to change that.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts