Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think you're going to find many buyers. Like I mentioned before, linear TV stations are no longer as lucrative as they use to be. Wildbrain/DHX bought Family Channel back in 2014 but even their production arm sees that streaming is the way to go hence why they market many of their productions to streaming services outside of Canada.
Well of course like I've just said before, there have not been many buyers out there to acquire these tv channels but for these companies like Corus & WildBrain, it's no different so to speak. I am assuming that there are certain ways to be more lucrative such as investing but that's not beside the point here. All I wanted is for these companies to be more lucrative. I don't care much about streaming services or whatever, I just needed these companies to get it together if they wanted to take things in a different approach if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll take it back a bit on Teletoon. I think Corus still focuses on Teletoon but I think in their eyes Adult Swim is the destination for "Adult Cartoons". Basically the only channels Corus cares about are the ones that are part of Stack TV. So channels like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, CMT, DIY, Movietime, DejaView, Cooking Channel, DTour, History2, Nat Geo Wild are secondary auto pilot channels that basically exist for subscription revenue only. I wouldn't include the Disney channels (Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD, ABC Spark) in the channels they "don't care about" as I think the reason those are missing from Stack is strictly due to licensing. Not sure about Lifetime and Crime and Investigation. I suppose that could be licensing but looking at the schedules, they seem to be "auto pilot" channels too.
Well it's only a matter of time before Corus decides what to do with Teletoon. I was thinking Corus would want to sell Teletoon to either WildBrain or Blue Ant Media. In that case, I would rather choose Blue Ant Media to acquire Teletoon so that they can finally have a cartoon channel. I wasn't saying that Corus has the right to Stack TV or whatever, I'm just saying that Blue Ant Media would want to have a cartoon channel since they don't have one yet and that's all I wanted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seriously, I wanted Blue Ant Media to acquire Teletoon. I don't care if Corus owns that many kid channels or if any of these channels that are owned by Corus are on auto pilot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My only hope for both Teletoon Retro and Detour to come back is for Teletoon to get sold to another company and whatever company that gains control of that channel can bring back these old favorites that have been missing for a long time. I don't care what Corus thinks because I know for a fact that there are like 6 or 7 cartoon channels that are owned by that company and neither one of these channels has even come this close to reaching its full potential.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I'm just saying that Blue Ant Media would want to have a cartoon channel since they don't have one yet and that's all I wanted.
I highly doubt Blue Ant Media would be interested in Teletoon or any kids channel for that matter. If you look at their linear and streaming portfolio, none of their brands are targeting kids and teens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I highly doubt Blue Ant Media would be interested in Teletoon or any kids channel for that matter. If you look at their linear and streaming portfolio, none of their brands are targeting kids and teens.
Well if there was a new company that would want to acquire Teletoon or any other kids channel owned by Corus and WildBrain then there would not be any difference so to speak. I'm sure that whatever company it is that would want to acquire a kids channel like Teletoon then I wouldn't mind because who would've thought that a company like Blue Ant Media would be interested in getting a cartoon channel. There has got to be a way or something.

In other words, I wanted WildBrain to acquire Teletoon so that they can relaunch both the Retro channel and the Detour block just so you know. We already know WildBrain already owns a few different kid channels as if I get it correctly and Corus already has enough kid channels as well as a bunch of different specialty channels. How could this be so?

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's not entirely true. They own an international linear kids TV brand called ZooMoo. They also have a production division aimed at creating animated content for all demos.

Of course, there's been no indication they're interested in pursuing those audiences directly in Canada. If they were, the last somewhat sensible time to act was probably when BBC Kids died out, as it meant providers were down a kids channel. That seems to have benefitted Toonavision.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well in other words, either WildBrain or Blue Ant Media can acquire Teletoon because we already know that Corus has like 6 or 7 cartoon channels (8 if you counted Adult Swim) plus a bunch of other different channels. Isn't it time Corus needs to sell one of these channels? I was just hoping it would be beneficial for these media companies even if there are limited exceptions. Also, since when was the last time Corus gave up on owning one of these channels?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's not entirely true. They own an international linear kids TV brand called ZooMoo. They also have a production division aimed at creating animated content for all demos.

Of course, there's been no indication they're interested in pursuing those audiences directly in Canada. If they were, the last somewhat sensible time to act was probably when BBC Kids died out, as it meant providers were down a kids channel. That seems to have benefitted Toonavision.
And what about the channels that were shut down like Teletoon Retro? If there was any hope that these channels would come back then it would presumably be underestimated if there are some exceptions made preferably even in the broader industry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seriously, I wanted both Teletoon Retro and Detour to come back since I miss them so very much and it's hard to imagine why so many channels have lost their predominance with their target demos.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well isn't it time Teletoon needs to regain adult audiences? I know that since TAN shuttered back in April 2019, there has been little hope that Teletoon would air something like this again as their entire lineup is currently devoted to mostly children's programming but what they do need more often is much more mature fare, something they've been longing to crave for since their ratings have decreased significantly especially during the nighttime when their late-night adult block got discontinued in favor of Corus launching its newest channel devoted to adult cartoons.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am assuming it might not be that bad after all now that Adult Swim has its own channel and I was hoping Teletoon would not be shutting down anytime soon as there are some speculations for a new company to acquire that channel so that they can have their old Detour block back. This is what Corus is expecting as a way to give Cartoon Network a lot more freedom so that there cannot be any more overlapping between the two.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'll take it back a bit on Teletoon. I think Corus still focuses on Teletoon but I think in their eyes Adult Swim is the destination for "Adult Cartoons". Basically the only channels Corus cares about are the ones that are part of Stack TV. So channels like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, CMT, DIY, Movietime, DejaView, Cooking Channel, DTour, History2, Nat Geo Wild are secondary auto pilot channels that basically exist for subscription revenue only. I wouldn't include the Disney channels (Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD, ABC Spark) in the channels they "don't care about" as I think the reason those are missing from Stack is strictly due to licensing. Not sure about Lifetime and Crime and Investigation. I suppose that could be licensing but looking at the schedules, they seem to be "auto pilot" channels too.
Don't be surprised if the Disney channels shut down in the future. Disney has been shutting down Disney channel in other markets entirely and pushing Disney+ instead. While there's no timeline for that here, it's probably inevitable at some point. Would be nice too, because having seasons of shows missing from D+ because they're airing on Disney Channel here is a colossal PITA. Looking at you, Owl House.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Well if there was a new company that would want to acquire Teletoon or any other kids channel owned by Corus and WildBrain then there would not be any difference so to speak. I'm sure that whatever company it is that would want to acquire a kids channel like Teletoon then I wouldn't mind because who would've thought that a company like Blue Ant Media would be interested in getting a cartoon channel. There has got to be a way or something.

In other words, I wanted WildBrain to acquire Teletoon so that they can relaunch both the Retro channel and the Detour block just so you know. We already know WildBrain already owns a few different kid channels as if I get it correctly and Corus already has enough kid channels as well as a bunch of different specialty channels. How could this be so?
Do you have kids? Serious question. Because I do, and the biggest problem with kids channels today is that kids don't watch content that way.

That's it. My son is baffled by the concept of having to go to a channel to watch whatever they have on their schedule when he can go into Netflix/Disney+/Kidoodle/Youtube/etc and watch whatever he wants, whenever he wants, on whatever device he wants. His friends are all the same. None of them even think about linear TV. It doesn't exist in their world.

These channels are an anachronism. Their target market doesn't give a damn about them anymore. That isn't going to change. Most of these channels exist now because they already had carriage, are in packages, and are just zombie revenue with little effort put into them. They've got little worth for the future and no one is going to swoop in and buy them all up, let alone launch new ones. Wildbrain isn't going to acquire more kids channels, they're focused on streaming deals because that's where the audience and growth are. (That's also why Corus is focused on it's StackTV channels: those are the ones they're pushing with the streaming availability.)

For ones that shut down because they were unpopular years ago despite dirt cheap content like Teletoon Retro? No chance. It's not happening. Ever. That content will probably show up for streaming somewhere at some point as part of filling out the back catalog.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you have kids? Serious question. Because I do, and the biggest problem with kids channels today is that kids don't watch content that way.

That's it. My son is baffled by the concept of having to go to a channel to watch whatever they have on their schedule when he can go into Netflix/Disney+/Kidoodle/Youtube/etc and watch whatever he wants, whenever he wants, on whatever device he wants. His friends are all the same. None of them even think about linear TV. It doesn't exist in their world.

These channels are an anachronism. Their target market doesn't give a damn about them anymore. That isn't going to change. Most of these channels exist now because they already had carriage, are in packages, and are just zombie revenue with little effort put into them. They've got little worth for the future and no one is going to swoop in and buy them all up, let alone launch new ones. Wildbrain isn't going to acquire more kids channels, they're focused on streaming deals because that's where the audience and growth are. (That's also why Corus is focused on it's StackTV channels: those are the ones they're pushing with the streaming availability.)

For ones that shut down because they were unpopular years ago despite dirt cheap content like Teletoon Retro? No chance. It's not happening. Ever. That content will probably show up for streaming somewhere at some point as part of filling out the back catalog.
You've got to be kidding me, that's not what's going down in the linear world. All I'm saying is that there has to be a way for both Teletoon Retro and the Detour block to come back. Who cares about digital streaming services or whatever? It's not going to change the concept even if there are limited exceptions made preferably but who knows?

P.S. If there was ever a new company that would want to acquire Teletoon or any other kids channel owned by Corus and WildBrain then that wouldn't be problematic so to speak. I'm positively sure no one else gives a darn about what they say when it comes to linear television or streaming availability. There has got to be a better solution other than this.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
You've got to be kidding me, that's not what's going down in the linear world.
Yes, yes it is. If you think linear is still what anyone is planning for, you're way out of date. There's a reason everyone and their dog is launching a streaming service, and it's not because the future is cable. Go talk to people under 30 sometime and ask them about how much linear TV they watch, and enjoy the laugh reacts. Go ask people under 10 and enjoy the confused looks as most of them don't even know what you're talking about.

Welcome to 2021.

All I'm saying is that there has to be a way for both Teletoon Retro and the Detour block to come back.
There isn't. They're done. Over. Finished. No one in the industry is going to spend actual money bringing back a channel and a block that shut down years ago due to lack of demand. Demand for them has not gone up in that time, and no amount of wishful nostalgia will change it.

Who cares about digital streaming services or whatever? It's not going to change the concept even if there are limited exceptions made preferably but who knows?
Pretty much everyone except you.

P.S. If there was ever a new company that would want to acquire Teletoon or any other kids channel owned by Corus and WildBrain then that wouldn't be problematic so to speak. I'm positively sure no one else gives a darn about what they say when it comes to linear television or streaming availability. There has got to be a better solution other than this.
I mean, if you enjoy this fantasy, then you do you. But that's all it is. People aren't even launching linear channels for the most part these days. Ones that already have carriage are shutting down because there's no demand for them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, yes it is. If you think linear is still what anyone is planning for, you're way out of date. There's a reason everyone and their dog is launching a streaming service, and it's not because the future is cable. Go talk to people under 30 sometime and ask them about how much linear TV they watch, and enjoy the laugh reacts. Go ask people under 10 and enjoy the confused looks as most of them don't even know what you're talking about.

Welcome to 2021.

There isn't. They're done. Over. Finished. No one in the industry is going to spend actual money bringing back a channel and a block that shut down years ago due to lack of demand. Demand for them has not gone up in that time, and no amount of wishful nostalgia will change it.

Pretty much everyone except you.

I mean, if you enjoy this fantasy, then you do you. But that's all it is. People aren't even launching linear channels for the most part these days. Ones that already have carriage are shutting down because there's no demand for them.
So I guess both Teletoon Retro and Teletoon Detour will remain a thing of the past for generations to come. Am I right about this?

61 - 80 of 110 Posts