Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
It seems to be that Teletoon's nighttime schedule has so far not been improving since TaN shuttered last April with the arrival of the new AS channel. It looks so unpleasing but I know that there's some speculation about a new nighttime block being produced sometime in the distant future as many of you would know. It's been said enough that Teletoon would want to bring in much more mature fare as if there are hopes for a new nighttime block.

·
Registered
86 Posts
[adult swim] is the home for mature animation/absurd programming.

A trend that has occurred on specialty television is the abolishment of segmentation -- in other words, TV channels airing a specific type of programming 24/7. With limited exception, the expectation is you will see the same types of programs on a specific cable channel whenever you tune in. No 'blocks' for alternate audiences. I suspect it's what advertisers desire, and was the rationale for the [adult swim] channel launch to replace the programming blocks that aired on Cartoon Network and Teletoon. Putting it in line with every other kids channel operated by Corus and Wildbrain.

·
Registered
90 Posts
[adult swim] is the home for mature animation/absurd programming.

A trend that has occurred on specialty television is the abolishment of segmentation -- in other words, TV channels airing a specific type of programming 24/7. With limited exception, the expectation is you will see the same types of programs on a specific cable channel whenever you tune in. No 'blocks' for alternate audiences. I suspect it's what advertisers desire, and was the rationale for the [adult swim] channel launch to replace the programming blocks that aired on Cartoon Network and Teletoon. Putting it in line with every other kids channel operated by Corus and Wildbrain.
Well I think Teletoon is just a major dump nowadays as all they do air is crappy kid shows as well as some kid programs coming from Cartoon Network and when nighttime approaches, they air more of the same kids crap over and over like it's no big deal so I think it is time that Corus needs to sell Teletoon to another company like WildBrain despite the fact that WildBrain has only a few kid channels. Maybe Blue Ant Media would acquire Teletoon since that company does not have a cartoon channel so I was thinking Blue Ant Media would want to acquire Teletoon but who knows what will happen?

·
Registered
90 Posts
It appears that Teletoon may be in a state of flux since their nighttime programming has been nothing but garbage. I don't even know how long it will continue to last. Is this a forever thing I assume? I do have a suspicion that Corus might be up to something. It seems so that Corus might want to cut ties with Teletoon unless they have other suggestions but that may be irreverent.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If Teletoon was to air adult animated programming again then I would assume bringing back Teletoon Detour or I would suggest a new nighttime block for Teletoon in the future but that would be irrelevant because Corus already has an Adult Swim channel so I'm assuming that Teletoon might want to bring back mature audiences.

·
Registered
90 Posts
And I was also hoping to see Teletoon Retro make a return since most of the classic cartoon shows have been missing from Canadian television for quite some time now most notably The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show but who knows what will happen.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
What about Adult Swim? Is that not the kind of content that use to be on Teletoon in the evening? If anything I could see Teletoon just being shut down since I'd imagine there is a lot of overlap between that and Cartoon Network plus I'm assuming there is also overlap with YTV, ABC Spark and Nickelodeon too. I can't see a channel ever launching again to air retro cartoons. Best hope is that many become available on streaming services.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What about Adult Swim? Is that not the kind of content that use to be on Teletoon in the evening? If anything I could see Teletoon just being shut down since I'd imagine there is a lot of overlap between that and Cartoon Network plus I'm assuming there is also overlap with YTV, ABC Spark and Nickelodeon too. I can't see a channel ever launching again to air retro cartoons. Best hope is that many become available on streaming services.
Well I was assuming this could be for a better postulate deferring to whatever it is. It's not that the main Teletoon channel isn't going to shut down anytime soon, it's just that retro cartoons haven't been around since Teletoon Retro shut down. I highly suspect that if there was a channel that would air classic cartoon shows then it probably wouldn't be much different to say due to the fact that Teletoon Retro hasn't been around for quite a while since it got shuttered. I know that classic cartoon shows such as The Flintstones, The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show Etc. hasn't had much reluctance hence the fact that they were really really good cartoons but what made them really unique is that there was a bunch of humor going around. This is what made them the envy of all classic cartoons that most people would dare to enjoy. There was also going to be a reboot of one of the most finest animated sitcom classics that was supposed to be due a while back since there have been so many reboots of classic cartoon shows that have garnered a large fanbase that most people would find it more enjoyable and entertaining. Most of them were good but there are some of those cartoons that were not as good as they would be as they have a lot of adult jokes that most kids would not find it amuzing and would find it much less unpredictable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I think it is time Corus might want to sell Teletoon to another company and give Cartoon Network more freedom so that there can be no more overlapping between the two channels. Also, I was longing to see both Teletoon Retro and Teletoon Detour make a return but that would probably become unnecessary if there is only a slight change of plans in the broader television industry.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Teletoon along with many other Corus channels are on auto pilot. Teletoon Retro and the Detour block are never coming back. None of the Corus kids brands are anywhere near as valuable as they were even 5 years ago. Kids don't watch these channels in huge numbers anymore and neither do adults as a result.
[/QUO
Well that's just discriminating to you. Why hasn't Corus ever gave up on these specialty channels? Since TAN shuttered, there was little hope that Teletoon would air adult animated shows again. Also, Both the Retro and Detour brandings were as good as they were back then and I wouldn't want to put any specification to it as I would've enjoyed either one of them.

P.S. If both Teletoon Retro and Teletoon Detour were to ever return, I would be much happier regardless of what programming they'd expect to air nowadays. I don't care if Corus has any value to these channels that they own or if they would give up on their specialty programming to air much less decent shows. However, if I was in charge of the media company, I would sue Corus for removing both Retro and Detour but I would not want to do that as I would be far less lucrative.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Teletoon along with many other Corus channels are on auto pilot. Teletoon Retro and the Detour block are never coming back. None of the Corus kids brands are anywhere near as valuable as they were even 5 years ago. Kids don't watch these channels in huge numbers anymore and neither do adults as a result.
In other words, I think Corus might want to sell Teletoon to a different company so that Teletoon can bring back their old Detour block as well as their Retro channel as if that is going to solve the problem and it's not because of the way that you think.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
In other words, I think Corus might want to sell Teletoon to a different company so that Teletoon can bring back their old Detour block as well as their Retro channel as if that is going to solve the problem and it's not because of the way that you think.
I don't think you're going to find many buyers. Like I mentioned before, linear TV stations are no longer as lucrative as they use to be. Wildbrain/DHX bought Family Channel back in 2014 but even their production arm sees that streaming is the way to go hence why they market many of their productions to streaming services outside of Canada.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I'll take it back a bit on Teletoon. I think Corus still focuses on Teletoon but I think in their eyes Adult Swim is the destination for "Adult Cartoons". Basically the only channels Corus cares about are the ones that are part of Stack TV. So channels like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, CMT, DIY, Movietime, DejaView, Cooking Channel, DTour, History2, Nat Geo Wild are secondary auto pilot channels that basically exist for subscription revenue only. I wouldn't include the Disney channels (Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD, ABC Spark) in the channels they "don't care about" as I think the reason those are missing from Stack is strictly due to licensing. Not sure about Lifetime and Crime and Investigation. I suppose that could be licensing but looking at the schedules, they seem to be "auto pilot" channels too.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.