Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
if they are trying to make teletoon at night into an action block they should show anime like they do in the states in america i heard on their adult swim every saturday at 11 o clock at night (i think that is the time) they show a bunch of anime in a block called toonami so if they are going to make teletoon at night an action block they should bring toonami to canada
Not to go off-topic, but I was lucky enough to just start watching Toonami a couple of weeks ago, and since then, I've cleared my schedule for Saturday nights. :) None of the shows currently airing on Toonami are currently airing on any Canadian network, and the whole idea of that robot Tom hosting the entire program block aboard that ship the Absolution... it's pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, I don't think the block will be coming to Canada anytime soon. While reading up on the history of Toonami, I found out it used to be 6 hours long, but now it's only 3.5 hours, cut back to save on costs. Also, I just don't see Corus caring enough to get the rights to air the Toonami programs on one of their Canadian cartoon channels -- they probably figure Canadians will get their "adult cartoon fix" from the regular Canadian Adult Swim. In fact, if Toonami ever did get a spot on a Canadian network, I bet it wouldn't include the in-between shorts of Tom and the Absolution, and it also probably wouldn't have the latest anime programs on it, with Corus instead choosing to go with older programs to save on costs.

As far as Teletoon at Night goes, it seems like it has been scaled back tremendously, now that most of its programming is on Canadian Adult Swim. Looks like Corus did that to make room for some of the older Teletoon Retro cartoons to air during the Teletoon at Night block, such as Mighty Hercules. And of course, now it looks like they got the rights to Bob's Burgers, just like Cartoon Network USA.

I don't even know how it's going to work once pick-and-pay goes live next year. Between all these "Canadian" cartoon networks -- Teletoon, CN, the three Disney channels, the three Family channels, Nick and YTV -- something is going to cave in. What's next? Is Corus going to launch Nick Jr., Nicktoons and TeenNick, and that way Canada will have 13 different cartoon channels? Oh wait, 14 if you count Discovery Family (aka The Hub). It just doesn't make any sense, and Teletoon Retro should not have been the first to go, unless they plan on rebranding Teletoon as Boomerang at some point in the future.

If that's the game plan, then I wouldn't be surprised if Teletoon at Night continued to be scaled back and eventually removed entirely at some point. Corus could easily move Bob's Burgers and Family Guy to Adult Swim Canada, to match its US counterpart. And if they don't want to give up the rights to Archer, they could move that to AS too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make sense having both a Canadian Adult Swim and Teletoon at Night, since both of them are supposed to have the same purpose, airing adult-oriented cartoon programming. Besides, once Corus re-launches the Disney channels, they may end up moving the Disney programs currently airing on Teletoon (Avengers, Hulk, Spiderman) to Disney XD, so Teletoon will have more room available to air other older cartoons on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny you should mention that... Teletoon actually IS airing some anime on Friday nights: Buddyfight is airing at 7:30pm, Yu-Gi-Oh! ArcV is airing at 8:00pm, and then reairing multiple times throughout the night depending on how long the movie runs. Yes, I know that these are kids shows, but this is also the first time that they have run any anime series in primetime since the station first launched. They're obviously expecting adult viewership, so if you want Teletoon (or Adult Swim) to pursue more adult-targeted anime, I recommend keeping an eye on those programs and spreading the word about them. Judging by their current schedule, Teletoon is clearly in a state of flux. If these YGO and Buddyfight airings do well, it could very well influence their programming decisions moving forward.
I think with most the TaN comedies now on Adult Swim Canada, and with Disney XD relaunching in Canada soon, Im hypothetically guessing Corus will move all the Marvel shows to the new DXD by the time it arrives, and hopefully we will see some PG/14/18 anime shows alongside Yu Gi Oh ArcV on Friday nights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone else notice that Teletoon has a page for Batman Beyond and Beware the Batman claiming airing on week nights at 10?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Batman Beyond is now listed as "Coming Soon." Also, it looks like the Green Lantern animated series is getting occasional airings throughout the month. No details on Teletoon's January schedule yet, but all of this might be a good indication of what to expect on weeknights.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The difference is that's a show moving from one Corus network to another Corus network. Ever since Corus got 100% control of Teletoon and Cartoon Network, shows have been constantly going back and forth between YTV, Teletoon, Nick, and Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

Corus is not going to give up the rights to a popular show they still have the rights to air (Archer) to FX or FXX, networks owned by a rival company (Rogers), just for the sake of it being the same as the USA.

i.e. Even though Corus partnered with Disney/ABC Family to launch ABC Spark, Bell Media still has the rights to Pretty Little Liars which was airing on Much at the time and has since moved to M3

And before anyone brings up Family losing Disney programming, the difference there is that the license to the Disney programming is expiring. Even if Corus didn't get the deal, Family and the other DHX Media channels would still have had to drop the Disney programming unless they renewed the deal.
Which shows are moving from YTV, Nick, Teletoon or CN?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Teletoon at Night Facebook page is gone, and seems to have had all of its likes transferred over to the Adult Swim Canada Facebook page.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Teletoon at Night will be focusing only on movies now. Archer (called it before the Fall 2015 schedule) and Bob's Burgers will be moving to Adult Swim Canada.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it confirmed anywhere that they're still showing movies? If I were to wager a guess, the older superhero cartoons that they have listed as "coming soon" on their website are probably going to be what will run from 9pm-12am next month.

Also worth noting that Adult Swim Canada will finally be airing RICK AND MORTY as well as new Robot Chicken starting on January 10, according to their new website: Adult Swim

·
Registered
8 Posts
seems like Teletoon is the only general kid station these days that care about action cartoons, so why not throw a little anime like Naruto One Piece or Fairy Tail on weeknights or weekend nights, otherwise I expect Batman Beyond and Teen Titans to appear during March at the latest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zap2it now lists Teen Titans, Thundercats Spider-Man Mighty Hercules Ultimate Spider-Man Xmen Evolution HULK and Pinky & The Brain in place of TaN. It was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sad to see them killing off a fairly well developed adult animation block in order to prop up Adult Swim, which is a brand they don't even come close to understanding. Teletoon still seems to largely be in flux since their line-up still doesn't seem to reflect a clear strategy, but their intention seems to be to convert it into an entirely kid-friendly network with late night programs that have cross-over interest with Millennials (read: 90s/early 00s nostalgia). The only truly mature programming that seems to be remaining are the Superfan movies, but with the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move the DC DTV features over to Adult Swim at some point. Who knows with this network.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It looks like Teletoon hasn't been airing adult animation since their nighttime block was discontinued with the relaunch of Adult Swim Canada as a 24-hour channel last April.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With Adult Swim Canada now a 24-hour broadcast, there is likely a chance for Teletoon to air adult animated shows again but without a new nighttime adult block like they did in the early going but that may put the channel in direct violation since they don't even seem to have a nighttime block that would air shows like Family Guy, American Dad, Clone High etc but that may probably be the case.

·
Registered
387 Posts
^^
Adult shows deserve to stay on Adult Swim, and Teletoon remain has a family friendly channel. There's enough adult shows already we don't need them to invade the very few family friendly channels that we have...

·
Registered
16 Posts
^^
Adult shows deserve to stay on Adult Swim, and Teletoon remain has a family friendly channel. There's enough adult shows already we don't need them to invade the very few family friendly channels that we have...
So I'm guessing that the adult animated shows that have aired on Teletoon during the nighttime hours will be on Adult Swim for who knows how long. It could be a number of years, maybe a few years or so, maybe even more than that. Who knows?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, how about if Teletoon brings back The Detour/Unleashed block or launch a new nighttime adult block that would be similar to TaN/Detour. Whichever way it works and If that's not the case, then I'd suggest Teletoon airing some adult animated shows without a nighttime block because who knows most children staying up late would not likely get to see these shows but then again, that probably wouldn't be the case but who cares anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
^^
Of course we do since Teletoon is still a cartoon channel for kids and families and maybe even adults but who knows what will happen. Seriously, If Teletoon wanted to air adult cartoon shows again, then I wouldn't mind because there hasn't been that much adult audience since Adult Swim went to full-time broadcast last April. It remains unclear though as to whether or not Teletoon would air much more mature content along with some programs airing from other kid channels like Cartoon Network. You see, It hasn't been that way since Corus gained full acquisition of these channels and neither of these channels have come to reaching its full potential nor reflecting a clear strategy as all they do is air much more decent programming like it's no problem. It seems like they've been doing that kind of stuff in order to meet CanCon requirements and maybe even bring in more subscriptions. I think it is strategic enough that Corus wanted to take it all in with Adult Swim even if they're up to the challenge already but that would be unnecessary for Corus to launch a full-time channel which is dedicated to airing mature content as if I may recall but that's just what it is right now. It probably wouldn't be inadequate if these companies wanted to take a different approach but I think it would be the best option for Corus to keep both Cartoon Network and Adult Swim and sell Teletoon to a different company or sell both CN and Adult Swim to a different company and keep Teletoon whichever way you think even as if that is going to fix anything. We already know Corus has enough cartoon channels (5 or 6 to be exact). Who knows Corus doesn't need another cartoon channel that would compete with other cartoon channels, We already know Corus has YTV, Nickelodeon, Treehouse etc. but why can't they just get rid of Teletoon? I really think it needed much more improvement but who knows for sure what will happen?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts