Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my VIP 1216 unless you are directly in front of it and less than 8 feet away, the remote is brutal.

Replaced batteries.

Exchanged remotes at MTS store, old remote worked very well on STB in store.

New remote is the same as old one on my STB.

MTS on the phone said even less than 10 feet away at a 45 degree angle is probably too much to the side for it to work. 3 deep breaths and told him that was unacceptable, so a Tech is coming out next Friday to look, and possibly replace the box.

Is this a known issue?

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
I just tested mine at 15 feet going through a glass door and a 45 degree angle and it works fine. I also tried bouncing off a wall for the same total distance and it works.
  • Did the remote work better when you first got it?
  • Did you get a black remote?
  • Are there any obstructions (like glass)?
  • Have you checked the response with the TV off (the light around the power button will flash in response)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no obstructions at all. I have the Silver remote and I changed it for a Black one. They are fine on the small boxes.

Last night I tried turning down the back light, and pushing the box deeper into the cabinet to shield it a bit more, but no real change.

I will try working it without the TV tonight, then maybe the scotch tape.

The worst is when you are fast forwarding thru commercials and you have to keep pressing Play, then you have to rewind back to the end of the commercial.

·
Registered
757 Posts
FYI, It sounds like there's an RF remote in the works, so hopefully this will fix this issue :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a plasma tv, and on the opposite side of the room a fireplace with a stainless steel trim piece around it...

Anyhow, someone pointed out to me that plasma tv's emit IR, and what happens in my case is the IR it emits really messes up my remotes. I'm using Sasktel, but it's the same equipment as MTS.

If I hang a bedsheet or blanket in front of my fireplace, the problem goes away instantly.

Makes my setup with Sasktel's set top boxes almost un-usable on that tv.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
someone pointed out to me that plasma tv's emit IR,
m3t4lw01f As indicated in post 2 - check out the link...

Is it possible the fireplace itself is a source of IR somehow? Try turning off the plasma instead of using the blanket and see if the problem is still there. If it is, then it's not the plasma. If the problem goes away with the TV off, then it is the plasma.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The fireplace is natural gas, so I doubt it emits IR, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I actually no longer use the Motorla box on that TV. I have my two STB's connected to a dual-tuner media center machine in my laundry room and use XBOX 360's as media center extenders. The xbox has no trouble what-so-ever though, so I couldn't test this.

Maybe some day when the wife is out of the house I'll grab one of my STB's and bring it up there to test that out.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
FYI, It sounds like there's an RF remote in the works, so hopefully this will fix this issue :)
AT&T has been selling the Motorola RF remote as an option for quite a while so it should be a proven product (assuming MTS is planning to use the same one).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was down in California last month, and I stopped by the AT&T store, they were selling the RF remotes there so I picked one up for my Son's TV (which is in the same room as our main TV). Works really good, he is no longer changing channels on my TV by mistake :)

If you know anyone in the US, you might consider having them pick one up for you (makes a great stocking stuffer - LOL )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts