black bars on the top which is 2 hours long from
time to time, but the sides I will stretch. So should
I be ok with a G25 and Im gonna break it in for
200 hours. Also I do watch NFL on the Sundays
which is 4-5 hours of many different tickers. I heard
if you use the screen wipe on a plasma, that it may
reduce your plasma life if used too much. How often
should I use the scroll? Thanks after I get a good
answer Im gonna get this G25 awesome TV.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Sounds like you're a little too concerned with burn-in & image retention.

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

Break In

Some people recommend operating a plasma (burning/breaking it in) for 100-200 hours to prevent future burn in. This is simply not true - it would be equivalent to putting your car on rollers for the first 5,000km instead of driving it properly. Taking the plasma off the default "torch mode" is the most important thing to do, and then watch it (and optimize it at some point) as discussed above. Operating a TV while not watching is also a waste of energy and nothing more.
Instead of what you'll be watching, I think the more important question is where you'll be watching.

-How bright is your room?
-Does it have large windows?
-Can the amount of light be controlled by blinds/shades/dimmers etc.
-Will you be viewing the TV directly in front or will there be seating from an angle?

...all of which has been discussed at length in many other threads.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cooper I just went to FS and looked at the G25
with the Quattron LED and I must say, the LED was
very impressive, man The blacks and colors were
very close to the plasma's and I asked them to put
it on a sports channel because I wanted to see how
good the 120hz and 4ms response time is on the
quattron and to my amazement I saw no Blur on
the 52 inch ( I am looking for only 40-42'') I
put my face against the screen and saw a little tiny
bit of blur or smear, But If I get the 40 inch LED
Quattron I am gonna sit 5 feet away, my decision
is made, I think Im gonna go with the quattron on
this one. They even let me calibrate both TV's too
my liking and they looked pretty much even the plasma
had a slight edge in color and blacks, but it was very
close and the motion was fine on both sets. Since the
LED uses less energy and is very thin, I think the
Quattron is best for me without also worrying about
retention but it is 200 bucks more. Also the Quattron
had brighter colors and saturation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow you chose a Quattron over a G25? What store was it? Big box like future shop or best buy? Flouresent lighting all around? I assume the brightness caught your eye. Did you try putting the g25 in THX mode?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Putting the G25 into THX mode in the middle of a showroom floor is a big mistake. It was designed for a reference viewing environment which is effectively devoid of lights. It has no chance against that type of ambient lighting.

That is what the Vivid mode is for on the tv ... to combat that lighting.

Regards

·
Registered
116 Posts
hey Michael,

You're correct, my mistake.

I think the G and VT series panny's are untouchable when it comes to picture quality. Granted i've never had the opportunity to see a properly calibrated Kuro in action.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Kuros are nice, but the difference in a room with ambient light is not nearly as great. A back light always narrowed the gap between the black levels of the tvs.

Don't forget that the Kuros had a nasty habit of clipping the above white information and you could never get it all back no matter what you did to the TV. An engineering decision ... based on a misunderstanding of the spec.

Regards

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Michael,

Should I be using a proper bias light with my G25 at night ?

Right now I just have a 7W LED night light on all the time behind it.

It looks great in THX mode as is.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Bias Light ... general benefits

Reduce eye fatigue
Improve perceived black levels

Correct D65 back light ...

Does not skew your perception of color.

7w LED ... hmmm I have 3.5 W LED lights that are the equivalent of 50W bulbs ... so does that make your light a 100W equivalent? Don't want it bright to the point of distraction ... dimmer rather than brighter ...

Is the light more or less white or is it red or blue or green. If something that just isn't white at all ... then it can really skew how you see colors. The brain is terribly adaptive to colors in the environment. If it adapts to a red light ... let's say .... you will never see the correct colors on the TV.

regards

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Actually, it has to be less than 3.5W... my mistake.

I can't even tell if it's on if the G25 is on at night. All the night light seems to do is give a very dim glow only visable with the TV and the lights off...

The colour appears to be a white/blue.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

You know you are in trouble if grays look yellow to you. If the environment is blue ... grays start to look yellow. (As in blue deficient)

Unless you want to spend the $100 to get the real backlight ... white ... slightly blue white is fine and way better than nothing at all. (Even the real deal changes its color over time as it ages ...)

regards

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

When one looks at the specifics of a bias light ... the light back there is really dim. 10% gray ...

I have some 1.5 W LED bulbs that are the equivalent of 15W bulbs.

Believe it or not, that light be sufficient ... but for fun ... turn it on ... turn it off and see if you can see s difference in the black level of the TV. YOu should still be able to see something.

regards

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Because LED bulbs are so directional ... W ratings say little about how much real light they give off. I have these 108 LED element bulbs that claim 60W equiv performance, but are no brighter than 20W bulbs.

I have 1.5 W LED bulbs with 30 elements that look just as bright if not brighter.

That said ... I have these 3.5 W LED lights with 60 and 78 elements and they do behave like 40 and 50 W Equiv bulbs ... when used in the right places.

I'd say give it a try ...

regards

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Cheap solution is go to home depot and get one 6500K bulb ... and try it out. Likely too bright by itself so need a lamp shade device.

The best solution is the $100 one where you order that ideal lume backlight all proper from that place in the US ...

Regards

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I found a 20 element LED in a old battery operated camping lantern.

An old cellphone voltage adapter seems to light it up nicely.

I have no idea what the equivalent wattage output would be to a regular bulb, but the diffuser covering the element stack seems to allow for even light coverage.

I'll check it out after dark tonight.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
My 'Frankenlight' works great. I'm guessing it's putting out an equivalent of 30 watts.

It took a while to diffuse the light with some handy aluminum foil, but it does make a noticeable improvement in night time viewing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts