Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started snowing & it came up with the searching for signal, so I tried playing a recorded program. When I tried selecting it, the 9200 shut down. Not off, but completely down. There wasn't the Bell logo with the tip. I unplugged it for 1/2 hour & when I tried turning it on, the green light came on the front, there wasn't a signal & then it shut down again. I think it beeped when it shut down.
After reading on this forum, I unplugged the HD to see if that was the problem. After pressing & holding the power button several times, it eventually came on with the HD error, but it was still searching for the signal. I unplugged it, plugged in the HD & tried again, but it behaved the same, so I unplugged the HD again & tried again with the same results. Right now it's still searching for the signal, but the snow stopped quite a while ago, so I don't think that's a problem.
I bought this a few years ago, so it's not under warranty. If it needs replacing, what's the cheapest way? I only use it in single TV mode, but the dual tuners is nice.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the snow off the dish? ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had snow build up on the dish, it's the thick clouds that it has problems with. Besides, snow wouldn't keep me from watching a recorded show, nor would it shut it down & not allow it to turn on.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So you opened your receiver, and unplugged your hdd, because you had no satellite signal? Pretty sure you cant watch recorded events unless you have a signal. You should've brushed the snow off your dish first or waited for the weather change, easiest and probably the solution to your issue. Sounds like your signal was a little low to begin with too, and needed a tweak.

All I have left to say, is wow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, you guys need to re-read the post. Forget about the no signal.
When I tried to watch a recorded show because there was no signal, the unit lost power (no Bell logo on the screen) & wouldn't turn on. I tried unplugging it, plugging it back in & turning it on, but it just lost power again.
I researched on this forum & saw posts about unplugging the HD to see whether it's the HD or not so I tried that. It'll say that there may be a problem watching recorded shows & recording others, but press okay to that & it'll go to live TV, or in my case, search for the signal.
Anyways, it's working this morning, so I'll call Bell to see what my options are if it goes completely.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
After pressing & holding the power button several times, it eventually came on with the HD error
What error? Did you search on that error code?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hugh, because I had disconnected the HD, it came up saying that there may a problem watching recorded shows & recording others. There wasn't a code. I just pressed okay & it went to the searching for satellite signal. I imagine that if it had a signal, it would have gone to live TV.
When it crashed, there wasn't an error or anything. It was like it lost power, as there wasn't the Bell logo and hint floating around the screen. After unplugging it & plugging it back in, I pressed and held the power button & the green light on the front would come on & then go out & beep. During this, it never sent a signal to the TV. Just plugging it back in & pressing the power without holding it would do nothing.
I unplugged it, reattatched the HD & left it overnight & plugged it back in this morning & it was working before I left for work.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You should be able to watch recorded shows with no signal. Lost track of that detail (long post.) ;)

It does sound like there are problems besides the lost signal. Refurbs are $150 from Bell. There are basically no other repair options. A good tech who can diagnose boards might be able to fix it but that wouldn't be cost effective.

I would try using an alternate connection, composite and/or component, just in case it's an HDMI issue. 9200 HDMI port failures are quite common.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I wasn't sure if Bell would replace it with a refurb since it was purchased.
It's not the HDMI though. I have it hooked up to my living room TV by composite & my projector by HDMI & neither worked.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Bell replace all defective receivers with refurbs.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
They will ship it to you, you then return the defective receiver in the same box.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My 9242's have a tendency to reboot when they loose the satellite signal for any length of time.
I have 3 PVRs and 3 other tuners and have Dish Care which covers all equipment, at about $7 per month. Dish Care is like "extended warranty" or "insurance" and can be purchased at anytime.
See http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.Dish-Care/dish_care.details

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Pinza. I was worried that I'd have to pay outright for a new IRD
dirtroad, my 9200 just goes into searching for satellite signal. I can watch a recorded program though.
Edit: Thanks for the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts